Please help newb, which OS version for key'ed SWAM bundle?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by DoubleSharp, Dec 31, 2022.

1. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

Howdy,

It's been an age since I installed some "try before you buy" but Ive managed to DL a version of a Physical Modelling Synth from the sister site. I have a few quick questions before I install, if anyone could help out.

First things first, I am hoping to update from Catalina (2018/intel - Think my Macbook is kind of hybrid, but mainly intel) to Monterrey. It's going to be interesting if some of my external hardware still functions... It's a "maybe" from manufacturers.

Should I update my OS and LogicX so that they're fully up to date before installing the synth? Or vice versa? I've heard Monterrey is even more narked than Catalina, but I imagine strange things may happen (call home) on a system update.

Secondly, I can follow the .readme but what else should I be vigilante about? I have littlesnitch, is it just a case of blocking what the .readme explains?

Finally, I have loads of the logic samples and things installed on a seperate SSD, along with a legit BandInABox. Perhaps it's possible to install the Synth there?

Any thoughts would be mega appreciated!

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Maybe the exact name of the synth would be of help? But don't link to AZ, just mention it.

4. DoubleSharp

Howdy No Avenger,

It's the SWAM bundle. I may just update the OS first and see how I go from there. I'm just wondering if the order of things makes much of difference.

I'm v close to having to update from Catalina so I may just go for it and live with the consequences...

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Changed the title so it's more meaningful. :winker:

(but I can't help you with the question, I'm a Windowser)

6. DoubleSharp

Thanks, I didn't want to inadvertedly break any rules.

FWIW I've persued the comments on sister site and have seen a few mentions seeminly working with monterey.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

I would just attempt to install the plugins. I'd want my Logic at version 10.7 either way, which you can already update to from Catalina. Logic versions will not matter in reference to these plugins. They will work or they will not.

There is not much benefit to you installing the newer OS versions, but you can decide all that later. You can just get the plugins running inside Catalina first.

This is the release TITLE ONLY: Audio.Modeling.All.In.Bundle.v3.5.0.macOS. There is a U2B release which others had some minor difficulties with on Intel machines. Use the Non-U2B release, it will be easier for you.

You can block them with Little Snitch if you want to, but I do not see this requirement mentioned.

You will need to Codesign all these plugins. You can do this in terminal, but these instructions might not be the best. Use the Codesigner 0.9.4 Beta application: https://mega.nz/file/sV4wXQQQ#GgV1gF7S38E09nCCAmzWszCR3GQc9PwQP4nOnLFmQ2Y

Codesigner is a GUI style utility that you just drag and drop files onto and it will issue the necessary Terminal commands behind the scenes. It's much faster anyway.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  8. DoubleSharp

Thanks for the infomation, I'll give it a go in a bit.

I kind of have to update to Monterrey for other software purposes but I think Catalina is pretty much EOL. Frustrating but probably necessary.

Any ideas on whether it's possible to run swam or any oher plugin from an SSD?

9. DoubleSharp

Hmm my Logic is 10.6.3, and I don't seem able to update. I found this from google.

"The latest version of Logic Pro X (10.7) requires macOS 11 Big Sur or later. However, versions 10.3. 2 to 10.5. 1 of Logic Pro X can be run on macOS Catalina."

Does your original point still stand?

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

My original point of keep your things how they are and just install the plugins stands ;) I'm on a 13 year old machine right now and can't check things for minor details past about High Sierra, my MacBook is on os13 now. I would want to update to Logic 10.7 for Dolby Atmos functionality. If you care about that. But it's all unrelated to getting your SWAM plugins installed. They will "usually" migrate correctly should you update anyway. Apple Audio Unit .component plugins are very stable overall, and you will rarely migrate your OS and find one which no longer works correctly. You can do all this in whatever order you want.

unless it is connected to some external hardware, of course. :deep_facepalm:

oh. Even if you install now, and a future OS update breaks your .component plugin's functionality; you can just delete the component and reinstall it. Normally you can just Codesign it again and it will work. Macs are easy like this. ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022