Please help me understand Omnisphere user directories

Discussion in 'Omnisphere' started by xavvy88, Jun 29, 2020.

1. xavvy88

xavvy88 Newbie

I added a bunch of third party libraries to the folder (/STEAM/Omnisphere/Settings Library/Patches)

But they're not showing up no matter how much I reload or refresh the browser.

Some of them do show up and I noticed the ones I can see all have the file "prt_omn.index" in the folder, but all of the ones that do not show up do not have this file. How do I get them to show up?

3. Sven Sterne

Sven Sterne Guest

Undo what you did, or just leave as is. STEAM can't be tweaked, so stay away
    In Omnisphere, click upper left corner "Utilities"

In opened menu, click "install .omnisphere", then locate and click the User preset library (an .omnisphere file)
    you wish to install.
    Done! You get a confirmation that file is successfully installed.

I hope I understood your problem correctly. Best regards!

4. GammaStar

GammaStar Platinum Record

5. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I have mine a similar way.
    Q: What GUI program are you using?
    (I am using "Classic Shell". Development stopped and it was taken over as Open Source software now called "Open Shell".
    I have not installed that yet, as the old one is still working)

6. GammaStar

GammaStar Platinum Record

"Directory Opus 12" so much more than winexplorer :wink:

7. xavvy88

xavvy88 Newbie

But do all your folders have the "prt_omn.index" file in it?

If you create a new folder and it doesn't show up as a user directory, how do you make it show up? F

For example I made a folder for "Audiority" and put all the Audiority banks in that folder, but it doesn't show up under "user directories" because it doesn't have the "prt_omn.index" file.
    https://imgur.com/a/naDCHxP

But for another folder I have for Gahirn Audio, it shows up as a user directory and then I can see all the bank folders once I click the directory.
    https://imgur.com/a/naDCHxP

Is there any way to create, or delete "User Directory" in Omnisphere?

8. demha

demha Producer

All "prt_omn.index" or "mlt_omn.index" files are generated automatically by omnisphere for each 3rd party libraries when scanning. Same for windows/mac.

Eg video:- https://www116.zippyshare.com/v/aE4KSFAn/file.html

What is your omnisphere version and does your folder path "/STEAM/Omnisphere/Settings Library/Patches" have the correct write permissions?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. xavvy88

xavvy88 Newbie

I've updated to Omnisphere 2.6. I'm not sure if it the STEAM folder has write permissions.

So you're saying if I make a new folder in the "Patches" folder and refresh the browser inside of Omnisphere, it will automatically create the index file and therefore I'll be able to see it in the "User directories"?

10. demha

demha Producer

Yes and No.
    Yes the prt_omn.index will be created but if you dont have any presets inside that folder, you will not be able to see it listed anywhere in omnisphere.

But if you create a folder including the presets eg: in this path "/STEAM/Omnisphere/Settings Library/Patches" like create a "folder" containing some presets, then it will generate a prt_omn.index file and also be visible in omnisphere.

If you do this "/STEAM/Omnisphere/Settings Library/Patches/YOUR FOLDER/" and presets are in the YOUR FOLDER
    *Omnisphere will create/generate a "prt_omn.index" file and will also create a empty "My Category" folder.
    You will see the "prt_omn.index" file mixed with your other presets.
    https://imgur.com/a/ZnLltC2

Best way would be like this (Many 3rd Party Libs follow this structure):
    "/STEAM/Omnisphere/Settings Library/Patches/YOUR FOLDER/YOUR SUBFOLDER/" and presets are in YOUR SUBFOLDER
    *In this case omnisphere will create/generate a "prt_omn.index" file outside YOUR SUBFOLDER
    So your prt_omn.index file will be easily visible outside without being mixed within your presets folders.
    https://imgur.com/a/eElooO

Note: If index files are not there, Omnisphere will always create the prt_omn.index file for any folder you create inside the patches folder or even "mlt_omn.index" files for multi presets in the "/STEAM/Omnisphere/Settings Library/Multis" path. The guide is the same for multis.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  11. TorLord

TorLord Member

Spectrasonics has a solution that works on their website version of the Manual. I haven't had an issue since using this method.