Please Help! - KClip oversampling settings are not getting saved

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pete Frost, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Pete Frost

Pete Frost Newbie

Howdy partners!

- Windows 10 | Reaper 6.81 | KClip 3.5.1 (from sister site) -

When I use multiple instances of KClip in a project my oversampling settings are not saved correctly.

For example: I have 4 instances of KClip in use in a project and 3 of them are used without oversampling (1x) while the fourth one is set to 32x. Of course I always save the settings within the plugin. When I open the project the next time all 4 instances will be set to 1x oversampling.

This also "works" the other way around: 4 instances, 2 with 32x, 1 with 8x and 1 with 1x oversampling - next time I open the project all 4 are set to 32x.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour? Is there maybe a way to fix it?

Thanks for your answers!

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

I have not had this happen because I use Standard Clip usually, even though I did check out the latest Kclip recently. But If I had this happening, I would do the same thing with Standard Clip anyway. I wouldn't want anything running in my session at 32X resampling, so I would bounce that one channel to audio with the clipper enabled. then I would disable everything on the original channel, mute it, and hide it. You would have your 32X oversampled part playing as audio with no effects plugin consuming resources, and you can go back to the hidden copy whenever you want. Usually when I am clipping anything; it is so far down the road towards done, that I would probably end up with only one last change anyway. Maybe there is a fix for your "preset" save, but the workaround would take about 6 mouse clicks.

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Best Answer
    IMPORTANT: This setting is global across all instances of the plugin. Upon saving, it will refresh the current plugin instance right away, but you must close and re-open your session for this to take effect across all other instances of the plugin in your session.

Have a guess where this is from. :winker:

5. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

nooo... are you talking... about....... that thing... called... THE MANUAL? D: its scares me bro, slow downnn

6. MFSAKA

MFSAKA Ultrasonic

Oversampled clippers are definition of word "oxymoron"

Use high sample rate NOT oversampling.
    Dan Worral is dead wrong in his infamous video.

7. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

This video is specifically about brickwall clipping; it doesn't disprove anything about Dan Worral's video.
    And it IS possible to do brickwall soft clipping with oversampling. TDR Limiter & Voxengo Elephant's clipping modes prove this.

8. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

for real ? I happened to test ASH few weeks ago and it still giving same result today :

1x
    1.png

16x
    16.png

that's a lot of improvement in pushing down aliasing I'd say

9. MFSAKA

MFSAKA Ultrasonic

No you don't.
    Watch Baphy's video with attention, please. Not fast-forward.

Clippers with oversampling on use another brickwall after. Without oversampling.
    It may be even limiter so that make most of clipping advantages negligible (clipper don't change envelope of signal, limiter does.)

Aliasing is not the problem in most cases. Crazy overrated.
    You cannot hear it 9 times out of 10.
    It's audible only in pretty stupid situations when somebody for purpose clip a cymbal full of highs by 10 db etc. Or other "from another reality" situation. Just an example.
    Test it blindly, yourself. Don't believe me.

Filtering and new "oversampled sampling points" created with pretty dumb algorithm is a problem.
    Physical chip make much better results. Really!

Never oversample your percussive sounds that need to be fast in punchy.
    Oversampling destroy impact of transients. I'm exhausted to post the same i already write many times. Search my previous posts here about oversampling and how it works.

I just want to help and share something useful with you guys. Something that i use too and it's work well.
    But i'm not insist.
    You guys can do whatever you want.
    And as long as you don’t do blind tests and check plugins "for lice" (Better with this plugin or without it. Shиt controlling),
    I will always have clients for mixing.
    Draw your own conclusions.

10. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

True but I listen to delta all the time when clipping, don't care about the music, that's just how I do stuff, I do it for headroom, leveling the peak. So how much is the clipping is depends on the level of overall "garbage" (artifacts, distortion) through the delta and OS let me go harder with less garbage added, lower, within the tolerable amount. The way I work, it's crucial. That's just it. If I can hear the changes/difference on the music, for clipping, that's already too much, garbage should not perceivable at all and shouldn't change the music at all. So blind test is useless when it comes to that, I still wonder why people do that for clipping too sometimes but yeah we all work differently.

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

Firstly, these kinds of opinions are off-topic. The Original Poster was asking for help with settings in a plugin, per the thread title. It could be a question of the DAW project settings being interpreted as a plugin issue, compared to a project issue. It is a simple request for some tech help, and not your opinion about anything.

What the poster did not ask for is your opinions and theories about wether oversampling should be used in the clipper plugin, or not. He wants to put a clipper on a channel and this is what is going to occur. If I ask you for driving directions to Los Angeles; I do not need your opinion that I should drive to Vancouver instead. That is as off-topic as it gets.

You already "write many times", partially because of your poor english. You should go look up what an oxymoron actually is. The rest is because no-one asked. blocked.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
  12. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

No problem here with Kclip in Reaper7 with 4, 8,16 oversampling.
    Try another clipper for a test...:dunno:

13. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Don't know. But tests show me that oversampling doesn't improve too much, doesn't suppress aliasing. They all the same as x2 or so. Higher is not better here
    Sir standard clip
    Or reaper's built-in OS

14. Pete Frost

Pete Frost Newbie

You are right, I should have looked it up in the manual!:facepalm:
    I just somehow didn't expect this setting to be a global one. However, thank you for your help! :shalom:

15. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

What? I've done tons of aliasing / oversampling tests with various non-linear plugins (saturation / distortion / clipping) and I found that oversampling, if implemented correctly by the developer, suppresses aliasing significantly!

2x is often not enough, but at 4x you often already get a significant improvement in most plugins, that results in a cleaner signal. See the "Testing aliasing of plugins" thread on GS, where I posted many of my tests under another alias.

I agree though, that working at higher sample rates is the better approach, but guess what: it requires a highend computer / audio workstation and many hobbyists and semi-professionals have slower / older machines. So oversampling is the second best option.

16. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

I just wanted to say that latest kclip3 (from sistasite) has oversampling that doesn't work correctly. I will test again ,but later

17. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

No wonder you were confused, it's really a bit strange, but I already knew it from True Dynamics.