PLEASE Always make a Backup of your Music Work.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lasteno, May 10, 2018.

1. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Agree.

True Image 2018 installed and ready; NAS is in my wishlist (RAID 1).

2. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2018
  3. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

I would add different HDs for daily, weekly, and monthly backup. That can be a lifesaver if files got corrupted, and were backed up corrupt.
    I had this once on the daily and weekly backup, but got aware of the corruption and rescued the files from the monthly backup. The original corruption occured on the source SSD. Of course some of the files were older versions, but at least existing.

To summarize this: For backup of important data you should have in order of importance:
    1 - one physically three-stage backup on HD daily/weekly/monthly on the location where you mainly work
    2 - one physically and up-to-date-backup on HD that is always with you when you travel.
    3 - one physically backup on HD that is in a different place and updated as often as possible.
    3 - for the paranoid ones (like me) a full backup (say quarterly) of your Production machine's harddisc.
    4 - one physically backup on Blu-Ray as often as money and time allows it.
    4 - one or more (encrypted) cloud backups if your internet speed and budget allows that.

I would only recommend SSDs as backup media for small amounts of data, and as secondary media, as they are a bit expensive, and, if damaged, nearly unrecoverable.
    With NAS as a backup medium, I am not very happy. My experience may be somwhere outdated, but cheap NAS's are not very reliable, their speed is not great, and they may have filesystem limitations. All under the light of the backup task. If I would want to backup on my internal network, I would install a simple and cheap fileserver-only PC with several HD's, maybe in RAID mode. That thing only needs to run when needed.
    Cloud backup is a modern concept of uploading your files (as if the old ftp were not nearly the same thing). I feel not completely convinced about it, since I consider all internet related services as unreliable, and, more importantly, not persistent. The possibility of seeing some "Sorry, we're closed" message instead of the usually login page, is (at least for me) a bit high. So i ranked that method low.

Another important point is the backup mode. Most freeware solutions (Like SyncBackPro Free,which I use) allow only Backup without keeping a version history. If you want to keep all past versions of a song, you have either always to name that song differently while saving it, or use a Pro Backup to keep the history (which can be very space consuming).

4. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Since everybody is pushing the "backup" narrative,
    I would like to point out that there are people like me, Who gave it great thought but decided consciously not to backup everything.

I try too give +- 3 months of data retention, that is the actual size of my ssd (at this recording rate it is)
    It is mirrored too a traditional hdd, but remember. That doesn't count as a backup. ( in a case of software failure I have the chance to "mirror" corrupt files)

music that is going nowhere in 3 months usually does not get used again. That's why I don't guarantee its existence after that. It isn't worth the hassle.

If a artist/client do require it to be available for longer I usually print some stems togheter and put it on their stick/phone or send it tru wetransfer with the instruction to download it at home. Which is actually the safest option for me, putting the responsibility in their own hands

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

in-house NAS > no-idea-where Cloud
    something like Synology DS918+ is best deal nowadays (equipped with let's say four 4TB drives, btw only capacity where Seagate is as good as WD), takes literally minutes to completely set up and go, even for non-geeky user :thumbsup:
    edit: obviously best backup is mix of multiple ways at multiple locations

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  6. electriclash

electriclash Guest

[​IMG]

7. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

Not true at all. I have published songs that were five years in the making - sometimes I write the main part, lose inspiration, and come back to it years later to finish it. They are some of my best songs. And three months isn't a lot at all when you lead a busy life and don't have a lot of time to work on writing.

8. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

sorry, was talking about my own situation. I agree that backups are a good idea in your situation.
    before the music gets to me there might be years of work in it
    well... I think it isn't necessarily a good thing,
    I think it's in the perspective of what your job is in the music you make.

9. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

This thread needs modifying it should be
    PLEASE Always make a Backup of anything that is important and you can not afford to lose.