Playing/recording 44.1/24 audio track with 44.1/16 together in the same project??

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by juboh, Jul 19, 2011.

1. juboh

juboh Member

Hey, people! I'm a newbie in audio engineering so go easy on me! Right, here's my question. I've been recording my vocal & guitar track at 44.1/16 by accident. And i dont want to delete it and record it all over again cos the guitar riff sounds awesome. So, tonight i'm gonna record my backing vocal track. So, if i record it at 44.1/24 this time, will there be a change in pitch & speed when i play them all back??!! :unsure:

3. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

It will be fine it wont change pitch or speed

4. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

Agree :wink:

5. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Changing your sample rate (44,1kHz - 48kHz, etc.) can alter pitch/speed, but bit depth (16, 24, 32) doesn't.

6. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

If you want to use different sample rates in the same project without converting one of them, your drivers need to support this "mixed mode". Many (especially ASIO) don't.
    But since you just want to use different bit depths, that's not a problem and should work fine. A lower bit depth can always be converted to a higher one completely lossless.

7. juboh

juboh Member

Thanks, ya all!!! Really appreciate it!! :) AUDIOZ ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: