Planning to finally buy FL Studio

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by kingjamm, Oct 10, 2013.

1. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

So here it is...
    I'm finally planning to buy FL Studio, and I'm not quite sure how to bundle things up.
    I got some load of questions in need of some answers...
    I will be posting my needs inside the FL Studio, and what I really want is for you guys to help me out on how to bundle these things. Coz' if I won't do this, I would end up buying the FL Studio Signature Bundle + ALL Plug-ins pack.

So here there are...

• Fruity FX (including Fruity Keys but discluding other Fruity instruments and ZGameEditor)
    • Slayer
    • FPC
    • Slicex
    • SF Player
    • Morphine
    • Sytrus
    • Hardcore
    • Direct Wave
    • 3xOsc
    • BooBas
    • Vocodex

I guess sampler layer, audio clips and automation clips are not sold separately... haha.
    That would be all I suppose.
    I guess I do need a lot of it, but there are also a lot that I do not need, so yah it's still a little save. :)
    Or myabe if you think I don't need some of what's in my list, maybe you could suggest me what to replace it with.
    That's all, I hope I get some help, for my thread is really long.
    And By the way, PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M ON THE WRONG THREAD. ^_^

ONE LOVE
    GOOD VIBES

3. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ King's music,

You can make some searches through the following Webpages, maybe you can find a lot of useful info and ressources for you about 'FL Studio' *yes* :

'Image Line' User Forums

'5 Great Sites for FL Studio Users'

Moreover, from time to time, you can find some (professional) 'FL Studio Projects or Templates' posted in this brother site : 'www.audioz.pro'. *yes*
    You can find a 'Search Engine' ('greyed rectangle' in the upper left corner of the Main Page) where you can type a search (using some keywords) related to 'FL Studio'.

Good Luck... and Welcome to the 'wonderful' Realm of 'FL Studio' ! :wink:

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

congrats to the decision, i bought FL Studio Production Edition long time ago and then upgraded to Signature edition.
    its really a complete package and you can easily buy synths afterwards if you need them still.
    its the cheapest DAW next to Reaper out there and also really stable.

5. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

I would jump on FL if it was available on MAC. :mates:

6. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

where is grossbeat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ruW8kthlms

that's a basic one :thumbsup:

http://www.image-line.com/plugins/Effects/Gross%20Beat/

7. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Ghostinthemachine,

Even if it's still not an 'official' FULL Release Version, rather a 'BETA' Version (even 'experimental' !) according to the words of 'Image-Line' Team, you can nevertheless already try and test 'FL Studio' within your MAC OSX... *yes*

NOTE : This is an experimental project and the response from testers will decide if and how we proceed with it.

We are pleased to announce the FL Studio Mac Public Beta is now available. This is a custom Crossover wrapped version of FL Studio for Mac OS X and so is bit-identical to the Windows installer.

Within the following page, you can find a 'Download' Link for that Version (~ 470 MB) :

FL Studio Mac OS X Beta (v11.0.2)

It would worth to try it... *yes* :wink:

8. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

FL Studio is a good DAW and I've heard some amazing music made on it, I even use it for a quick composition myself. That being said it does have many issues as well and some things that to me are bizarre compared to more traditional software like Cubase. For one I hate the mixer and find it quite unintuitive. Then the VST scanning and organization is ridiculous as everytime you add some VSTs you have to scan for a long time and for me it crashes many times until I relaunch and finally get it to finish. After all that you basically have to go through an unorganized list to find the plug you want. Also I have never been able to get VST3s working on it, maybe it's just me but I always get an error. It also uses more resources in 2013 than Cubase used in 2009 and Cubase has more features. There is no freeze track function and a myriad of other missing features. The plus though is that the MIDI editor is really great and you get lifetime upgrades. Personally if I were you I wouldn't even bother with Sytrus and a lot of the other stuff you've listed since you can find better plugs from competitors though they will cost you more. +1 on Gross Beat, it's a good effect plug and Harmor is a good synth as well.

9. upsydown

upsydown Newbie

+10 what catalyst said...follow that advice and gross beat is awesome :)

10. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Welcome to the forums inpsydeout. :mates:

11. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

Fl studio is not 2nd cheapest daw or close to reaper.. At least for the full bundle.
    Studio one and ableton are cheaper I believe..

Make sure, that you really enjoy all the extra plugins on the bundle. Other than that I hope you enjoy fl studio. I like they give you unlimited upgrades even for next version.

12. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

it's not quite true, http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/production/a-guide-to-freezing-and-bouncing-in-fl-studio/ it's working perfectly ;) , about the mixer: yepp, avoid the use of that one, that's the weakest point of FL IMO, try to use Patcher (a bit outdated tutorial is here> http://howtomakeelectronicmusic.com/how-to-use-patcher), or third party things like Magma with it as much time as u can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUMAWI33iDg

;) so middle click on the desktop(of FL Studio) and type ... and problem is solved :)

+1 for Harmor its great for analog type off basses

13. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

Ooooohh.... Can I use this to play live w/o Novation Launchpad? I never bother to touch this vst... Looks like I still need to seek a lot for FL. ^_^

Well some of the error's you have mentioned sir, I quite know how to solve only "some" of it... And yes, I'm planing to learn Cubase as well... I actually want to learn 2 - 4 DAW's and these are:

• FL Studio
    • Cubase
    • Ableton
    • Pro Tools

But I guess I could only pick on against the two, the Cubase and Pro Tools... But I guess I'll go with Cubase because of the "hardware." I mean, for me to be able to use the full power of pro-tools I guess I need their hardwares....
    That would be all, I run out of things to say. :D

THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK AND THE CONGRATULATORY COMMENTS. :)

14. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

and where is newtone2 with the newly added time-stretching mode http://www.image-line.com/plugins/Tools/NewTone/ it was a very needed addon for sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmbfT4Z34_k

from 16:40s

15. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I don't think they can call that a freeze function because it's a 5 or 6 step procedure. Freeze is one button in Cubase which pops up a message box with options after which you hit a button and it's done, their version is what I call bouncing. I know about the plugin picker and it doesn't include your third party plug-ins and they have to be added with another long procedure and adding each individual 3rd party plug-in one by one. This is simply a workflow killer and incredibly annoying. In Cubase I can sort by developer which gives me a tidy little list with hierarchy. Also I don't have to rescan my VSTs because it's done quickly on launch and all new ones are added and ready for use.

16. virusg

virusg Rock Star

agree with you on the mixer, freeze, midi editor, upgrades ...as for scanning id never had an issue, not even a crash, as long as you do a fast scan everything will be ok, at least i know the plugs i have installed and dont have problems finding them, it could be better but its ok for now ...Sytrus? its a powerful little plug but under the hood its a monster ...that interface fools you and many others but trust me, its a very good plug ...would love to see IL working with some devs to add more effects well known, maybe Softube? ...the mixer its the first thing i would change to FL ...the rest it will come one day ...

@ king's music : go for it mate ...good investment plus u wont be disappointed!

17. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I do a scan and verify because it arranges it differently such as by VST, VST3, etc. I actually like Sytrus but don't you think he would be better off with something like FM8, I guess it all depends on his budget. :dunno:
    Some of their synths are really good like Sytrus, Toxic Biohazard, Harmor but I always liked other developer offerings better. Of course this is a personal thing.

18. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

freeze: marking the needed time region on playlist / pressing the arm disk on the included mixer tracks / and pressing ALT+R ... it cannot be simpler than this IMO, and it can be called to freezing (or dry freezing :) ) because the smart disable function of the mixer not gonna use those VSTs which are not get input data in the playback process
    --
    adding process, I'm using the VST Chainer of Magma for fxs in FL because I hate (don't really like) the mixer of it, Magma has manufacture based VST list so the problem is solved for me, I've added only the VSTis to the Plugin DB (I'm using Sylenth1,Absynth,Massive,Zebra so only the CPU friendly ones in FL, because FL has the same problem as AL/StudioOne/Sonar : there is no track based multi-core cpu support in them > https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/why-does-lives-cpu-meter-show-different-load-activity-monitor/ )

19. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

I've created a forum entry about the core of my current workflow > http://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=116834 , I gonna put it here too because it can be very confusing at first sight, so maybe helps for somebody, so :

(if u never seen FL before should check this before my one >
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQDvnfleST0
    )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic1TJu64PcI

- IMO the absolutely crucial point is the Filter Groups feature in the Channel Window, without it the whole workflow will be totally messy in later part of the project, I collect all the corresponding VSTi-s, layers, samples, automation things etc., into the same Filter Group (clicking on any clip in the playlist editor the corresponding Filter Group will be automatically selected which is super cool, meanly this is why I use it )
    - as I see creating track groups in the playlist editor for the things which ones are belong to each other is also very important (after zillions of track it can be life saver for sure)
    - using colors for clips,tracks,mixer also a good thing
    - dunno which method do u use for freezing/bouncing I've showed my one in the video, it's ok, and easy as 1..2..3 :) (from http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/production/a-guide-to-freezing-and-bouncing-in-fl-studio/ ) I love the Smart Disable in the mixer for the "dry freezing", no input no resource wasting > super
    - putting things into the Plugin Database (is there any third party prog for this, doing it one-by one can be daunting for me) also a good workflow helper, luckily it have to be done only once, so it's survivable for sure :)

have a nice day guys :mates:

20. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

What I only I suppose ask for on FL is change the mixer... I mean, it would be awesome if it's like the other DAW's.
    Where you could just add how many Audio / Instrument tracks you'll need...
    Coz' I think just having all of them 99 there is already overkill, and also the sends as well...
    I guess the sends should be the same way with the audio / instrument, coz' for example if you're gonna be doing a
    mixing separately, I mean different for every instrument for example drums...
    I guess you'll be needing more than 3 sends, specially if you're gonna be doing something
    that sounds live...

21. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

I read your tread bro...
    Yah, workflow really is unbeatable...
    Though I really like to have that mixer to be changed. ;))