Planning to buy new audio interface, what to buy under 500?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Brendan, Sep 15, 2023.

1. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

If you have a Thunderbolt port on your PC / Mac and are in the US you might be able to pick up a used Quantum 2626 for under $500.
    That might be a better option for you.

2. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

They only made one thunderbolt interface Fireface UFX+, and they made a (stupid) point with the Fireface UFX III that thunderbolt suddenly was not needed. The RTL latency on those Fireface UFX III is pretty crappy so maybe they should have stayed with thunderbolt. Or have both USB and thunderbolt like they had on Fireface UFX+

3. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Thanks for the info. You and I are on the same page when it comes to thunderbolt.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

What is the purpose of buying a great audio interface, when the guy says he has to use laptop speakers?

This thread is a great example of not even reading the first post. We're going to tell someone to go buy a $3000 Cranesong or even ~$1000 RME, so he can use it with his laptop speakers? :deep_facepalm:.

5. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

6. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

At the moment, he realized he had better performance without using Presonus drivers when he was forced to use his laptop speakers due the renovation situation, guess he will get back to his usual speaker setup and some people are advising him to look at the long run solution.

But probably his issue lies in realms of power management of his laptop, USB ports, drivers and all that. On top of that he's using external USB storage drive for DAW and plugins, system might not be that greatly optimized or run on balanced power scheme, it's not uncommon for PC's in general to have issues with USB ports, remember that majority issues people had with MOTU M2 on Windows were because of that on some mobo's. I'm wildly guessing here, good thing is that he can drag that laptop to a store and actually try out some audio interfaces they have there, if issue persists, he can reconsider that purchase and look into fixing his USB port issue, new drivers, try more optimizations, if everything fails, maybe it's time for a new laptop, instead of audio interface.

7. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Did you try eBay and Reverb?

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

I get what you mean, but he didn't say he got rid of his Presonus. All the first post says was that he cannot use it. I had no problem at all with the M2 but it's usb port. It shows they cut corners to hit their price point target. It had good sound, nice recording quality, and what I liked most was I could use it as a secondary interface at the same time! as my racked 828ES because it used no additional software beyond what was in MacOS already. 2 mouse clicks to toggle between interfaces. For 170$ or whatever it was, the new gen DAC would have been jaw-dropping 10 years ago for an entry-level Motu.

9. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Honestly didn't cross my mind!
    - just checked on reverb, no luck.
    Found a few on ebay actually. Shipping alone is 40usd :deep_facepalm:

10. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

11. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Unfortunately, it seems that there is no way to get it in Europe.

12. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

I owned an Audient iD22 and loved it, then went Antelope Orion 32 which broke and I would NEVER recommend anyone an Antelope interface EVER as the company makes half ass equipment they do not stand behind. I then purchased an Audient iD44 and love how good it is for the cost and I have it sitting next to my Lynx Hilo on my Mac DAW and the iD44 hangs with it. I still have my Ensoniq PARIS rig and an older PTHD rig too...

So, I seriously suggest you go with either the Audient iD22 or iD44 mkII as they are IMHO the single best bang for the buck interfaces, you'll have to spend in the $2K range to beat their converter quality.

13. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

ANyone have experience with this one?
    https://www.img-stageline.com/products/mixers/analogue-mixers/mx-2io/
    It's at 66 euros at Thomann.
    Independent 48v power for each input.
    Switchable input channels mono / stereo
    1 Additional stereo input
    Switchable 20 dB attenuation and LED level display
    Mono input channels with XLR input (mic) and 6.3 mm jack input (switchable line / instrument)
    24 Bit & 96 kHz

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Ritchie

Ritchie Member

under 500 Audient is the all around bet (xlr/hp out, mic/line in, adc/dac) ! Personally I've had nothing but headache with RME software on win11 also it isn't that plug and play type of tea and don't expect magic sound from the babyface in that price range (especially their hp out is terrible 90mW) you get what you pay for so just save yourself some money and get an audient or if you don't care about mic/line pre quality antelope zen go got great dac. There's not much difference between semi pro devices until 2k range so get something cheap all arounder to start with and when you got 2-3k to spare you can start looking at RME and other professional brands. UAD TWIN DUO is great only if you wanna take some load off CPU but they got a bunch of plugins native so no need for that either if ur pc got the juice. Make sure you're getting low impedance headphones for audient hp outs tho. Also don't worry about usb/thunderbolt it literally makes 0 difference latency wise (been there).

15. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Producer

Even cheaper here, € 41.18
    excl. VAT, plus Shipping Costs:
    https://www.musicstore.com/en_OT/EUR/IMG-STAGELINE-MX-2IO-USB-Audio-Interface/art-PCM0016249-000

16. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

\

Thank you very much sir!!! Exactly. I'm only looking under 500. I plan to get the RME babyface when I'm recording as an ARTIST, but currently, As a producer I just need an interface that has minimal latency, is reliable, possibly offloads a lot of the work and let's projects or plugins open faster?

Also, I'm trying to figure out why, when Using my presonus, plugins load slow as hell (for example analog lab takes over 30 plus seconds). But when my presonus and Yamaha speakers are unplugged, and I'm just using laptop audio, plugins load instantly (or say omni or say a bunch of plugins under ten seconds). I'm wondering if its my presonus thats causing this. All my plugins are on the C (my main) drive, all my DRUM sounds are on my external SSD, and FL studio is on my MAIN drive (c). It's a Lenovo 5 legion laptop.

17. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

18. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Producer

It has gathered some positive reviews; other than that, who knows?
    Anyway the price & specs are tempting.

19. J Frank Badass

J Frank Badass Ultrasonic

thanks...randomly picked one up, looks good :)

20. blackmoon

blackmoon Kapellmeister

Sounds like drivers or Windows corrupted. Check you device manager for any errors or ? marks. Try better ASIO drivers.