Planning to buy new audio interface, what to buy under 500?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Brendan, Sep 15, 2023.

1. clone

clone Audiosexual

I would not be worried at all about buying a nice interface secondhand/used. Most people sell them to upgrade to something new. I have seen a few in abused conditions before, but they are by far the exception to the rule. Like all the desktop style UADs for sale now. People are just getting rid of them because of Native plugin options.

2. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

RME all day! However, I use this interface as well, on a production SFF PC. The driver is rock solid; 32 buffer; It's a beast, built like a tank, and MF is blowing them out @ $79.00! I actually bought an extra one, just because. Check it -->

Sterling H224

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro...interface-with-192-khz-sample-rate-capability

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterli...erface-With-192-KHz-Sample-Rate-Capability.gc

https://sterlingaudio.net/sterling-harmony-h224-audio-interface/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

How long have you been using this for? $79 is pretty damn hard to beat.

4. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

not a suggestion just saw an article about the
    new 4th generation Scarlett https://focusrite.com/scarlett

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/focusrite-scarlett-4th-gen

"Installing the kernel extension that improves macOS low‑latency performance isn’t straightforward on Apple Silicon machines." it was the same with BabyFacePro too ... needs 4 or 5 clicks and two restarts

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I was using a 3rd gen 18i20 with my macs and their Focusrite Control software was close to torture. Their software would "loose sight" of the interface and reconnecting it and rebooting frequently was constant issue. " No Focusrite hardware found" error. That was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

6. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Running a Motu M4 on Win11 Reaper here, couldn't be happier.

7. georgedalaras4

georgedalaras4 Noisemaker

Get a Focusrite Scarlett and you will be more than happy.

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Exactly, and state the headphones that your are going to use, as some interfaces, like Focusrite, are not suited for high impedance headphones, .

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

if you had a desktop PC, RME HDSPe AIO (or AIO Pro) would be the ultimate choice
    :chilling:

10. remixHeart

remixHeart Noisemaker

I can also vouch for the audient line, didn't need many inputs so i got the audient id24 and i can tell you it's an amazing interface, sounds like a dream, packed with features and the instrument/guitar input is like really really great.

audient id4, id24 or id44 ftw, haven't experienced the older line so cannot blindly recommend those (the new line is the one with the really dark gray not silver).
    You legit cannot go wrong with those audient interfaces :wink:

11. DKB

DKB Producer

I’ve just upgraded from my focusrite 18i20 to the evo expanded system . Evo 16 and two sp8 adat to give me 24/24 . Very low latency on Mac m1 . They have the smart gain function to auto level all your instruments / outboard . highly recommend Audient . I had a problem with one of my sp8 displays , Audient repaired and sent back in a week . They also do the arc programm where you get free software after registration .

12. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

yes, same interface, same problems: inconsistency: I got rid of it. I'd like to hear opinions here from people who have actually tested the gear they're talking about

13. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

This configuration : WIN10 Ent 22H2 on a Lenovo SFF i7 7700 w/ 32GB ram and H224.

My original intention and objective was to use this for VSTi low-latency midi-inputting until CPU load forced me to up buffer into "mixing buffer range", and it took a shitload of VSTi's and Kontakt libraries to make that happen. Very impressed.

This price is insane for the performance/options/specs. Been using it for a few years. I've completed 2 demo tracks with it, and lots n lots of idea sketching. So, this is my "quick" small-footprint production PC; it's setup on my kitchen bar, using iLoud monitors and M-Audio Oxygen Pro mini controller. (a quick idea sketching pc setup)

The last track that I completed w/ this interface had around 110 tracks; 90% VSTi midi; Spire, Dune, Rob Papen, Sylenth, you name it; vocal tracks, insert and buss fx chains, and multiple kontakt instruments (w/ portable bob dule of course). Not a hiccup or complaint from the H224 driver. Needed to up the buffer as the CPU % rose, but that's normal. By the end of the track's progress, adding more & more FX during the mixing phase - on an already FULL plugin load, I was at 2048 buffer (typical).

Being an RME addict, I was amazed how H224 never complained. It just did it's job. Sounds great, beefy headphone amp, dual stereo line outs, line/mic-ins ability to bypass preamps, quick mono mix button, solid build quality. Driver software mixer is slightly limited, but WYSIWYG, and everything just fukin works. Fuk anything else in this class - anything else - in this class - seems like a corporate mass-produced scam - especially at this price.

I bought another one just because I could. So basically, you can buy 2 of these for close to the price of 1 of the other popular 'choices', in this particular price/class range. If this thing had ADAT or spdif in/outs, I'd buy 3 of 'em.

@entire thread:
    I can't really recommend this unit enough. Just make sure that you new guys know how to setup & tweak/tune your WIN10/11 systems to optimum performance. Iron out those possible click & crackle DPC offenders etc. first. My systems are optimized, so I just plugged it in, installed driver (...WIN10), and fukin awesomeness. From my experience, this thing runs transparently with zero issues. I feel like a salesman. lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  14. clone

clone Audiosexual

You can tell so much from specs and reviews, but people review gear thy have "tested" too soon. You see so many reviews where people even say I have had this new thing for a few weeks and it's the greatest thing ever! They are basically writing a review to let the world know they got some new piece of gear. If the gear is new and they do a little review on Sweetwater or other retailer website, and it is favorable; they will leave it on the website. If not, it is either deleted or shuffled all the way to the bottom of the list of reviews. Amazon got busted doing that at one point a couple years ago. We also tend to remember things favorably because we can come up with good workarounds for some serious junk. There is only so much anyone can do to work around something low level like an audio driver software. Human nature. ;)

15. Joe_sleaze

Joe_sleaze Platinum Record

What I want ideally is an interface capable 0f at least 92Khz real-time playback at LOW latency & CPU, I'm not very interested in recording at the highest sample rates, I'm performing live ITB.

16. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

I have all RME gear. Always have had. Would never use anything else. RME 9652, ADI-8, HDSPe AIO, Fireface UFX I. Never had a lick of trouble with drivers OR hardware. If the baby face is what you want you can find legacy RME gear at much better prices that in the long run will prove to be a better investment than most any older or newer motu, m-audio, avid, etc just in price/performance and longevity.

17. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

RME Digiface USB – Thomann Suomi
    444€
    +OP said no need for inputs, and those can be added later if needed

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

If it were me I would definitely just buy a third generation Scarlett used on the cheap until I saved up enough for the RME, don't pour money down a hole. The Scarletts are great, very low latency, they sound good and your only issue would be the headphone impedance although I think the fourth generation even fixes that.

19. Mr_Meoff

Mr_Meoff Noisemaker

Just picked up the id44, love it! Word clock out and two ADATs, awesome. Pres sound great too, clean. I love MOTU stuff also. My old Hack is still runing 2 2408s off a PIC424 card. Words flawlessy, just cant get old system (x58a) past Mac Mojave... #DRUMs!

20. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

My opinion is just my experience and personal opinion. I've owned soundcards from Echo, M-Audio, Focusrite, Steinberg/Yamaha, Esi, Behringer and RME.