Planning on buying new used mac. Question about cloning

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by signalflow, Sep 22, 2016.

1. anvier

anvier Ultrasonic

In my experience i sugest you make a copy with Carbon Copy Clonner in an external HD. Then you make a copy to your new mac trough Migrat Assistance native on mac from external HD. I don´t know why but if you make that you don´t have to revalidate any cracked plugin. This option has been doing the best for me.

sorry for my english

2. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

I just hooked both cpus through Ethernet and mirgrated. I had to reserial a few plugs but really no big deal. It was fairly easy.

3. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Thank you thank you. Yeah everything works fine right now with HDD but I know I'm going to want to switch to SSD when I can or have the extra money

4. Rhythmattic

Rhythmattic Member

Now you have two babies ;)

5. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Haha so true. Don't know which one I love more... lol j/k:rofl:. Don't tell my wife I said that or else :trolls:

6. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

You'd be better off installing a clean system on your new comp and using Migration Assistant to migrate your existing hard drive/computer to the new one. Any way you do it (cloning, migrating, or what I do when I put in a new drive on my MBP: installing a clean system, then restoring from a Time Machine backup), you'll end up having to re-authorize at least some of your software, especially if it's on a new computer. By migrating with a clean install, you can make sure the files specifically needed for that specific computer are being installed, while also getting all your old prefs, personal files, bookmarks, etc.). Also, recovery drives are neither cloned with cloning software nor restored from a TM backup (which is why I clean-install a new system, then do a Time Machine restore from the recovery drive), so if you do it that way, you won't have a recovery drive on your new machine.

7. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I've had to migrate because my old Mac ( MacPro 1,1 piked to run ElCap) after cloning the hard drive wouldn't be recognized on the new Mac. I've have to reauthorize a few things but nothing major. Everything is running flawlessly now.

8. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I've done it all: cloning, just yanking my old hard drive out of one computer and sticking it in another, migrating via a clean install and Time Machine restoration after setting up a new system on a new hard drive and activating TM from my restore disk. I think the last two are your best options (migrating during an install if you're moving to a new machine and the TM method if you're just upgrading your hard drive). Again, cloning your drive only clones your visible hard drive, so the new hard drive won't have a restore disk, and if you're moving to a new machine, a cloned drive may not have vital components installed that your new computer would need. Migrating copies everything but the actual system install over to the new disc.

TM has saved my ass on numerous occasions. Also, I think it copies things that cloning does not, so while you're going to have to re-authorize software no matter what you do, TM seems to minimize this as much as possible.