Pitch Wheel Settings?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by rem, Jan 20, 2014.

1. rem

rem Member

Hello all,

A very basic question. How do I change the settings for the pitch wheel on MIDI keyboard in FLStudio. I currently get 200 cents on full. I would like to increase it. Would you please also tell me if that setting will hold when using Kontakt in FLStudio or whether I need to do something in Kontakt directly?

I have a secondary problem using Evolution keyboard. When I push the wheel to full, I sometimes hit +200 cents but, even when I do, it drops back to around +170. It is stable on down pitch. It is probably a hardware problem with the wheel but please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks a lot

rem

3. volafile

volafile Newbie

I haven't used FL in a while, and don't have it on this machine so this is all 'I think'

I think, you click the settings button on the plugin, then go to midi setting and there is a setting for pitch bend range.

As for the keyboard.
    If it's happening in other hosts then it's probably the keyboard itself. I had a problem like that on an old ESI keyboard, turned out it was just the spring that was a bit rubish.
    opened it up and replaced the spring with one from another keyboard and it returned to centre perfectly.

4. I have encountered a similar problem using FL Studio with a Notation keyboard and have never really figured a great way to fix the problem. My workaround is to go the channel setting of the track and and raise the value next to where it states the pitch. You need to test how high you need to raise it to where you need the bend to be in concert with (if the pluggin supports it) the pluggin's own pitch-wheel parameter. Also as you probably surmised, you also have to tell FL Studio that you want to use the modulation wheel as it is not hardwired. This si a copy from I do not remember, but it is incredibly useful in setting up your mod wheel:

FL Studio doesn-™t come with Mod Wheel or Aftertouch control enabled out of the box. You need to do a bit of work to set it up. Fortunately it only needs to be done once. Here-™s how:

Start with a new project.

Add a new VSTi channel. It can be any instrument you want; you-™ll be deleting it soon anyway. Just make sure its a VST instrument, not a native FL plug-in instrument. Choose Browse Parameters from the menu:

Scroll down and select CC 1 (Mod Wheel) in the browser:

Right-click and choose Link To Controller:

Click the Omni option:

Then move the Mod Wheel on your controller keyboard. The box will disappear - don-™t worry, it-™s meant to.

Now, to set up after-touch. You can skip this step if your controller doesn-™t support it. Choose browse parameters again and scroll to the Channel Aftertouch item. It-™s at the bottom of the list:

Right-click and choose Link To Controller. Click Omni again, and right-click in the Controller box (where the arrow is pointing):

Choose Channel Aftertouch from the pop-up menu.

Then click Accept.

OK, here-™s the weird bit. Delete the VSTi channel now. (Trust me on this). Choose Save As from the File menu, and navigate to the Templates folder. Create a new folder called ModWheelAndAftertouch under your templates folder:

Open that folder and save the project as ModWheelAndAftertouch.flp:

In the folder, create a text file called ModWheelAndAftertouch.nfo, and type the following two lines into it (use Notepad or another text editor - don-™t use a word processor):

Description=Basic template with ModWheel and Aftertouch enabled for VSTis.
    Icon=Icon.png

Copy the file Icon.png from the Basic template folder. You should now have three files in the folder:

Now you need to close FL Studio and start it up again. You-™ll have a new template in the New From Template menu now:

Any projects you create from this template will have the Mod Wheel and Aftertouch enabled for any VSTi channel you create in the project. Just remember to use the template.

5. rem

rem Member

Thank you both. I am amazed that can't be done more easily in FLStudio but now I have a comprehensive solution.