Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" coming soon

Discussion in 'Music Releases' started by sideshowbob, Sep 23, 2014.

1. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

via
    Code:
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/09/22/new-pink-floyd-album-the-endless-river-a-tribute-to-keyboardist-richard-wright/#more-58942

3. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

The only Pink Floyd I always loved was from the era of Syd Barret or Roger Waters (60s, 70s and a bit of 80s).
    Once these twos left... well, it's a bit like if you were considering the Rolling Stones without Jagger, The Doors without Morrisson or U2 without Bono.

I might give a try to this new record but to be honest I'm very skeptical. We'll know for sure very soon anyway.

4. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Don't be so sceptical, because it'll be a masterpiece at any case, not the best, but "must have" in Pink Floyd Collection. Because it is an album of Pink Floyd (Gilmour/Mason/Wright), but not "another rock band". It's an album of one of the best rock band ever. About 22 years since The Division Bell ('93). And maybe it is their last album.
    Remember it.

5. oidua

oidua Member

Well it's about time! :beg:
    Looking forward to it, that's for sure.
    Excellent news!
    :bow:
    And hats off to Syd Barrett, the original mad hatter
    :thumbsup:

6. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

My fav PF album is Division Bell : High Hopes (studio) and Keep Talking (Pulse live)
    I'm a prog rock lover (Camel, King Crimson, Yes...) from the early days. But still prefer late PF than early :dunno:

You may like this album or not, but it still a Pink Floyd album. Like a Radiohead, Depeche Mode... such release must be, at least, listened to :mates:

7. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

not looking to start a war - or even an argument but i could not possibly disagree with you more. syd barret has been hyped into something he never was. he was a pop star. not a visionary. and anyone who thinks he was ever a progressive artist is confused.

roger waters is probably one of the absolute best lyricists to ever write words for rock music. a true genius in that realm. but not really a great musician. most of his bass parts were played by gilmour on the albums. and gilmour's guitar work is the signature sound of pink floyd.

i've been a fan of the group since the early 1970s, and learned to like some of the stuff that came out before i discovered them. but in my opinion they were at their absolute best on meddle, dark side of the moon, wish you were here and animals. the wall was a little too heavy handed for my taste, but there are songs on that album that are among my all-time favorites. i put division bell among the top six floyd albums. and i enjoyed momentary lapse of reason far more than any of the early syd barret records.

8. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

@realitybytez
    Funny to read this, because most PF fans praise Syd Barret era only...and don't realize Pink Floyd main pillar is Gilmour.
    He is the glue that kept that band running. Without him, Pink Floyd would have disappeared when Syd Barret brain stopped producing any music...around 1968-1969.
    Roger Waters is very important too, of course, but what would have happened if Gilmour left Pink Floyd during the Roger Waters era.
    No more band, too.
    Even if Gilmour didn't wrote all songs and is not the band in himself, he is the common denominator of the band.

Frontmen with oversized ego are one thing, but keeping a band running (and for 50 years) is another. That's the first thing you learn when you play in a band (like me) :mates:

9. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

album = meddle, song = echoes, definitely some serious substances being consumed at the time :drummer:

dark side of the moon for me is their best album :headbang:

10. machupichu

machupichu Ultrasonic

well...cant wait

11. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

A new Pink Floyd album? Wow :wow:

Was not expecting that anymore.
    Especially since Rick Wright died... his role was for me always crucial for the Pink Floyd sound, just as much as Gilmour's guitar playing and tone.

So I don't really understand... did they take old takes with Rick, and making the new album with them, or did they just listened to them for inspiration but recorded completely new material?

I remember when The Division Bell was released 7 years after their last album, Nick Mason said in an interview: "We will surely not wait 7 years again for our next album."

So in the end it only took 20 years instead :wow: :rofl:

12. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

Being born in the 70`s in a household "charged" with Pink Floyd vinyls/cassette tapes, their music became a "condition" for me.
    It`s wedded to my understanding & feeling of music, I dare to say to who I am.
    As a child it saved me from sorrow a million times, made me feel connected again & dream ...
    made me trust in myself when nothing else did.
    Actually, I never met anybody capable of making objectiv statements about Pink Floyd, which isn`t a measurement anyway,
    ... "well" adjusted to a specific "mind tunnel"...
    Great Music it is, no matter what "unpleasant" things might be true about them. That`s all I can say, as being deeply attached to it.
    Without any expectations I`m looking forward to hear some unreleased tracks, perhaps polished & even "reproduced" but that doesn`t narrow my curiosity the slightest bit.
    Also, I tend to prefer the early albums, "The Final Cut" is what I´m listening to, while writing these sentences.
    "Indeed, fantastic lyrics" comes to my mind.
    Thank you for the replies.
    :bow:

13. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

My favourite band

It's not going to be a masterpiece, but it'll be better than 95% of the shite out there now

Roger Waters is the closet thing i have to a hero, i don't have heroes, but he comes close, not just for his music & lyrics, but for his political statements, he's very politically astute as to the 'real' world were living in, and he ain't afraid to speak out and lay his cards on the table