picking/making the right sounds that fit?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by ArtexAS, Jan 29, 2015.

1. ArtexAS

ArtexAS Noisemaker

First post here on Audio Sex. I've been listening to a lot of The Weeknd and Shlohmo (I like dark and moody music with heavy drums) and it seems that in their music, each sound was made perfectly for each track. I don't mean necessarily the EQ of the sounds (which can be a big part), just the samples/sounds themselves. Like listening to a specific track of theirs, I think, "That snare is perfect for this track" or "That kick drum sits perfectly in the track and really sets the beat off."

I've been into production for a couple years on and off and the one thing that I still have trouble with is finding the exact sounds that will match for whatever track I'm working on. I've never been the type to just throw any old kick or snare or hats on a track and say "ah that sounds good enough."

Do you guys have a select group of sounds that you normally use or do you pick brand new sounds to mix together for each track? Because I started thinking in terms of acoustic drums and bands... they have the same drum kit every song. They can add sounds, etc., but the for the most part, it's usually the same kit, right? So maybe it would be easier to mix, as opposed to mixing and layering new sounds every single new song.

Looking forward to any knowledge ya'll can throw my way. Peace!

3. geraldthegenius

geraldthegenius Noisemaker

No such thing as old sounds. Are there old colors too? Every track has its own band of frequencies. Rekon ya best tailor'em likewise.

Treat my tracks like I treat everyone else. To each their own.