Piano in Blue2 - CPU SPIKES?!

Discussion in 'Live' started by vibes, Dec 19, 2013.

1. vibes

vibes Newbie

I'm currently using ableton live 9.0.6 , while loading ONLY piano in blue in kontakt and nothing else, after playing with it for a while , there will always be crackles and clips

My system is running at i5-2310 2.9 Ghz 16 Gb windows 7 64 bit ..and converter is focusrite saffire pro 24

I dont understand ...is PIB really that CPU heavy?

I know the specs are not the most powerful around...but still....only 1 instance of PIB in kontakt and that's it?.....is there something that I'm not aware of?

It's kinda freaking me out !

3. miklan

miklan Noisemaker

Hi Cool VIBES,

Seems to be latency problem.
    I had the same thing from time to time with my former audio card. Sill some peaks with Kontakt as a standalone?
    If not, the you'd better set your latency up in Ableton.

Hope i could be helpful....

4. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

I have similar sounding problem sometimes with large libraries. Usually works if I drop the same instrument over existing one. At that point it looks like its loading only a few files back in. Than it works fine. Its as if a handful of samples droped out of the memory somehow. Might be faulty ram. I heard recently somewhere that RAM can be that way and it wont be obvious. Unless you know what you are looking for

5. vibes

vibes Newbie

buffer is set at 512 samples

input latency 11.1
    output latency 12.8

6. vibes

vibes Newbie

Just tried that...yes it loads faster than first time....but the crackles still happens after playing for about a minute or so

7. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

so, it does load something? than I would guess it could be the issue of faulty ram. Google up how to test your ram for faults

8. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

The crackling AND faster loading are both because of the compressed format. Smaller files load faster, and 'on-the-fly' decompression uses cpu more than reading Wav files.

9. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Did you try to purge unused sample and see if it still snap, crackle, pop kellogg rice krispies!!!

10. vibes

vibes Newbie

after i purge all samples and play PIB in real time the system can last probably a minute longer without crackling....but eventually the annoying sounds still return to haunt me!!!

Do I need to upgrade my CPU? like to an i7 3960k 64GB RAM!!! :wow: :wow: :rofl:

11. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

My system specs are much lower than yours, I use Directsound or something instead of ASIO because I want to be able to play more than one thing at a time on the machine. I do not get the CPU spikes. I would recommend trying the standalone Kontakt, try a different DAW (Reaper perhaps?), bypass your audio interface and try out the onboard soundcard, at least this will confirm whether or not this is a system specs issue.

12. vibes

vibes Newbie

Wouldn't the performance be worse if I bypass my saffire pro 24? Not getting ya...i have never used ableton with kontakt as stand alone b4...how do you do that?

13. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

you should have a Kontakt player somewhere, it runs the vsti without being open inside your DAW, PIB is a bit of a system gobbler, you could try reducing your graphics processing down to its basic settings and see if that will help. I use S1 and you can assign how may cpu cores you can work with, (depending on many your cpu has of course) not sure if Ableton offers the same thing in its control settings?

also turning off some of the FX inside Kontakt may help, reverb is certainly a good one to try first

14. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Another Question:
    How many mic positions do you have on??? I know by default i have Surround & Room on,
    Best thing for you to try is one mic position at a time and see if any changes. Cheers

15. audiozuser76

audiozuser76 Producer

I had similar problems with Kontakt (legal version) in the past at Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Digital Performer and so forth…
    That's why I really avoid to use Kontakt, I have legal Motu MachFive 3 and there is no such problems like with Kontakt.
    Actually the best sampler for me are from Ableton, comprehensive strings or some layered pads, no problem at all!
    Kontakt is in my opinion resource eater.

16. vibes

vibes Newbie

Whatever the case is only 1 patch is loaded..and all the mayhem....if I'm running an additional patch or vst instrument...like zebra or Diva...I wonder haha

Do u think a much faster processor would be the best solution?

17. vibes

vibes Newbie

But there are so many awesome libraries made for kontakt.....I find it hard to ditch it....

18. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Diva is another hogger of cpu :rofl:

I am using an old 2 core intel cpu and have experienced exactly the same problems as you have described with PIB, the cpu is not the problem

19. vibes

vibes Newbie

so PIB is the damn problem....

20. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

As I said try adjusting some of the settings within PIB :wink:

if you are using other vst's in your song, you may need to bounce PIB before continuing

21. audiozuser76

audiozuser76 Producer

Believe me, mostly it's only distraction *yes*
    Be creative and make music with "less is more" :wink:
    Most of the libraries are in my view for uncreative wannabe musicians & trophy hunters *no*
    It's like fast-food, somehow everything tastes the same :(