Physical modeling orchestra

Discussion in 'Software' started by iluvhiphop, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

I spend a good chunk of an advance on real strings replaying slight variances of samples I found on obscure records. Everybody does it and I mean everyone!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

I know! Ever since my Akai S-900 in the '80s.
    I don't understand why you are saying that.
    That's why I was interested by the Henri Mancini samples that I linked to.

3. VroundS

VroundS Kapellmeister

I seriously doubt that the producer from that video actually programmed himself all those articulations etc.
    It's more likely that it was just already made wav samples or he used Kontakt library with those articulations packed as a one key solution.
    There was at least 2 Kontakt libraries I've tested which had all those expressions and phrases and all you need is press a key. Those libraries were way smaller than 10GB. Under 5GB.

4. Smoove Grooves

You're contradicting yourself there. And as @Dimentagon says, it may be sampled off vinyl.
    'Keyswitches'. How all string libs work. "Phrases" sounds like a loop-based thing?
    Great. Please tell the op and myself what they are.
    Great. Hopefully they have the sound and eq of Mancini, as per the vid. And don't have too much ambience baked in as per Spitfire Audio.
    The portamento/glissando in the 8Dio libs are good for what we hear in the video. And the trems are very evocative of the sound too.
    Both the libs I mentioned were under 5GB each, and provide the articulations and the sound.

5. VroundS

VroundS Kapellmeister

Playing dumb?
    You know I wasn't talking about keyswitches and yes it was probably one of the Spitfire libraries.

6. Smoove Grooves

No I don't, I thought that's what you meant. What other way is there?
    Which use UACC keyswitching or normal keyswitching or CC32.
    I don't happen to know of a SF lib with all the articulations the op needs for this at less than the 5GB you quote, so please do chime in.
    Plus it needs soft playing and close-micing for that sound. Not overly ambient, imo.

7. thepie

thepie Ultrasonic

8. Smoove Grooves

9. RealBananas

RealBananas Kapellmeister

Some good questions, unfortunately there is not much info available... :unsure:
    To be honest, I would not expect a "true" legato, but some attempt to mimic it. I have seen this in Yamaha/Kurzweil workstations before, that use a mixture of samples and synths.
    (I didn't buy the presets yet, since I would not find the time to use them at the moment. I don't like hoarding :winker:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Well, I can say that my Mancini original vinyl records (e.g. HATARI) are MONO audio, and strings (like in Night Side) are a bit reverberated.
    But I know that this is off topic as it doesn't answer the op.
    From what I heard, I still think that Synful could be a valuable answer, though I don't have a clue how it is controlled in real time.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  11. Smoove Grooves

All Mancini was actually recorded Mid-Side technique, I believe. Hence what you describe.
    Then you can put that in a stereo environment and narrow or spread it, and add stereo verb.
    And the quote you mentioned meant "the sound" specifically ie the colour of eq and distance.