petition: everyone should major in music degree

Discussion in 'Education' started by Area51, Jun 8, 2020.

1. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Any chance of short courses? Y'know, enrol in the morning and walk away with a diploma in disco after lunch?

2. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I know you're joking with good will, but this stuff is too sensitive and complex.
    You may want to delete it my friend. :wink:

3. Nought

Nought Guest

No hope to change. I wish music was like surgery, out of reach of the public.:sad:

4. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Yeah, and i wish this was a quality chinese restaurant and you were slavered in plum sauce and enclosed in a wrap...

:hifive:

5. scrappy

scrappy Platinum Record

bowels of the skullery at the court of king boris
    Of course, the last thing we need is folks learning and knowing more stuff... err.
    :suicide:

6. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Why does everyone need to major in a music degree?? Have you ever actually attempted it? Is it so we can flood the world with a bunch of unemployed folks that cant get teaching jobs because arts programs are already stretched pretty thin?

If you plan on working at a school the rest of your life, by all means major in music. I made it through three years of it before I realized the degree does absolutely nothing for anyone wanting to get into the actual music business. You want to be a pro, you go to an engineering or recording school or you just start a band and bust your ass playing. You dont major in music.

7. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Knowledge is power, though not necessarily cash... :sad:

8. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Oh yeah dont get me wrong it was a BIG help clarifying stuff from years of guitar lessons before hand.. The problem is, folks get too wrapped up in theory sometimes as the "rules". School helped for an understanding of why things worked together the way they did but dont get too caught up in it, the best stuff is when you just take it and run with it and let it do its own thing!

If they make you do ear training as part of the curriculum you'll LOVE that. Thats definitely one thing everyone should work on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Nought

Nought Guest

Studio is there for school dropouts.:metal::drummer::speaker::dj::break:

10. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Such terms can only exist but to enlighten. Let us shine our soul cheddar into the empty wallets of the virtual world.

Music theory and education is valuable for musicians to speak the language of music and to be understood in the creative process. Equally important however are the skill-sets used for mixing and producing something that expand on the notes used in a composition. Both take a long time to master and I haven't really heard a graduate come out with a mastery of both. ..And if music students annoy the shit out of you then perhaps the pursuit outside of a focus on theory can present opportunities just the same.

11. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

you see that outside of academia too :)

tbf i think that (major) label managers are by far more dogmatic (PLSS MAKE HITSONG FOR MUH TARGET GROUP YOU DUMB MUSICIAN!!!!!!11) than your average music student

12. Area51

Area51 Kapellmeister

everyone needs a music degree or at least something in the fields of arts, liberal arts and humanities tbh - we must abolish anything else so we can be a better society. we don't need scientists, mathematics or any program developers tbh.
    no matter how you look at it, liberal arts & humanities guarantees you'll get the best jobs ever!!!

13. Barry T

Barry T Producer

Degrees (for the most part) aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on.

While a small number of faculties (i.e., Berkelee College of Music where I studied online) have a higher standard and are a great place to make contacts, most brick & mortar universities offer nothing more than rubbish.

Case in point, I did my BA in a ‘prestigious’ British University - they had us transcribing waltz sheet music into midi for the best part of a year. I learned more on YouTube and by experimentation in a week than I did during that farce of a degree.

14. Area51

Area51 Kapellmeister

BTW, just for you own information, June is the WORTHLESS DEGREES AWARENESS MONTH!!!:deep_facepalm::thanks::thanks::welcome::welcome::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

15. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

This thread should be moved to the Humor section.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  16. oldskoolproductions

oldskoolproductions Producer

I went to Uni for music. Great time. Learned lots. Definitely helped my understanding of what I play on my guitar. Was it necessary.. No. But classes like ear training, sight singing and rhythm reading where actually very useful for the stuff I do today. More so... going to the school is to develop contacts... This way you have people to work with out of school...

17. Nought

Nought Guest

The main reason people find themselves needless to learn more is that music has become simpler. This means that both the different types of music and the desires of the listeners have become too simple.

Simple things don't need to be learned and can be done easily. The music that a child can make by sitting behind a computer no longer needs to be taught.

The only solution is to replace simple music with more complex ones. In this case, production will not be possible without training, and people will be encouraged to spend more time on learning. Otherwise, the current trend will continue and nothing special will happen.:dunno:

18. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Nought could'nt you keep your smoking views for your own threads...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Wild guess: :no:
    :rofl:

20. The Freq

The Freq Guest

I came across this by accident. While a thread that has not been touched for three months may in some cases be considered dead, I figured I would only post if I believed I could add something worthwhile.

I read the above posts. It is believed there are nine levels of intelligence (look it up I do not want to go off-topic on a tangent), and as such, it makes sense to nurture these as early as possible, with MUSIC intelligence being one of these believed nine intelligences.
    Therefore, all the suggestions, for example above, the martial arts suggestion (physical intelligence) and others, if they nurture what each child and/or adult needs to further develop themselves logically make sense to investigate further and take on board as having some value. I do not think anyone here is an expert on the exact point to start each, as in must or should do a degree in that discipline, as that would require an expert in each area, but sensibly, it seems that each person should approach a degree or learning point when their mind/body is best equipped to absorb it, whatever that time-period is for them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List