People's Perception of Mastering

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Michaeljones, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Michaeljones

Michaeljones Noisemaker

I'm trying to write a general survey on Peoples Perception of Mastering for my college FYP. The survey is aimed at music students Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire and general music listeners to get an idea of what people think mastering is. Would any of you be able to come up with a few general questions on mastering that you think I could include in the survey? Bearing in mind it's aimed at people that have little or no experience in music production. Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  3. E.T.F

E.T.F Producer

Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science by Bob Katz is a great book on the subject if you haven't read it already, an enjoyable read too....
    a quote from SOS review:
    "With the basic concepts and philosophies of mastering behind us, chapter three moves on to the most important element of all, the ear — or more accurately, how to train and use it. There is a lovely diagram included here which shows the frequency regions in which boosts or cuts in amplitude produce the subjective impression associated with terms like muddy, sweet, fat, edgy and so on. Katz also sets seven specific ear-training exercises in this chapter — all superficially trivial and easy to do given a little effort, yet these are crucially fundamental skills for anyone interested in improving their hearing acuity in the context of recording or mastering music...."
    Hope this helps you to find some questions......?

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Oh, you want questions, not answers? Here's one:
    - How did mastering change over time?