People having a meltdown over AI music

Discussion in 'humor' started by MBC_Music, Apr 17, 2024.

?

Did AI ruin your life?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Yes

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

iZotope releases AI Mastering Assistant for Ozone -

People: "Wow, cool technology that I can use as a hobbyist to create quick demo masters".

Toontrack releases EZ Bass that use AI to make incredibly realistic bass tracks -

People: "Absolutely incredible technology that I can use to speed up the process of songwriting and make unique bass patterns that I wouldn't have thought of".

Sonible releases Smart EQ 4 that uses AI to automatically EQ tracks and unmask frequency overlaps and buildups -

People: "Complete game changer, must have plugin to speed up workflow and quickly resolve EQ issues in my mixes".

Some random company releases AI music generator that actually sounds decent -

People: "My life is ruined. My wife is now dating AI and is leaving me. Everything I ever knew was a lie. We're doomed. It's all over. This needs to be stopped now. Burn it down. It's the worst thing that's ever happened to humanity. Worse than World War 2 by far. How can they get away with this?!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Pro tip: You can still make music even if AI music generation exists. Nobody is stopping you.

I say this as someone who dedicated 10 years of their life to writing music and never made a cent from it. I've been learning to play piano and it's really engaging. AI can probably generate piano songs better than me.

I'm excited about AI music generation as an interesting experimental tool. I'm not gonna have a complete meltdown over it. I'm also not gonna use it as an excuse to not write music because "we're all doomed".

People will still see concerts and live performances. People will still make music that's more interesting than AI (considering that's LITERALLY what the AI was trained on).

Enjoy your hobby or explore other new hobbies. Maybe you could even make something cool with AI.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. Kelsier

Kelsier Ultrasonic

I'm happy to use AI to help generate ideas or as a scratch pad to kick off new ideas. If something interesting comes up, I would need to rip it apart and add my own flavour or personal touch.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

I don't see a problem with it.

Pre the year 2000, the cost of creating recorded music was prohibitive to most.
    With the power of PCs then came the ability for anyone to make music.
    But 99% of that "bedroom" music was not good enough for listeners to want to purchase.

Now we have AI that can't yet write hits, but can proliferate the creation of even more samey sounding music (that again will not be good enough for listeners to purchase).

So yes AI has lowered the bar again in terms for people with even less skills to create music, but the bar remains low with the quality of that music.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • List
  5. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Producer

AI helps me achieve a better master and faster, than i would without it.
    and if i don't want it, i can just not use it.

about music making, composition wise,
    i believe if a ROBOT can make a music better than mine, maybe i should get better in making music.
    its my opinion that the human musician will always have an edge against the AI in terms of creation.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  6. ryu_shiro_878

ryu_shiro_878 Kapellmeister

I don't get the fear of AI, just go to Apple Music or Spotify & just click a random button. A click can playback the whole song and you can repeat that for millions of times. It's not going to be Brahm's Piano Concerto No. 2 every time. But you clicked a button and there's a song. Who cares if it's generated by AI or by humans. A song is a song. Not like AI is generating stuff like Wagner or Beethoven or even Beach Boys.

Even you who fear AI are not creating anything that compares with Brahms or Schubert or Velvet Underground. I want AI to be so good that it eliminates all mediocrity. There's no Wagner before Wagner, no Beethoven before Beethoven or No My Bloody Valentine before MBV. These fuckers are creating shitty stuff that's just a bad copy of stuff that came before. AI is never gonna create anything that'll be like it's AI and anything after we'll say it's AI. AI just works on a sample data and creates similarity. We never cared for similarity. It's not artistic. Tarkovsky would've removed a scene if it resembled the style of Bresson or Felini or Kurosawa or Bergman. Yet, these people just copies and reproduces a bad replica and call themselves artists. I wouldn't care if they die. I even wish for it. Bloody Artists, my ass. It was never about Money. Render greatness to God & let Cesar give you what he deems right. An Artist's obligation is to God and not to Cesar

It's the same fear which is just a procrastination that's no different than to people who believe in different timelines or conspiracy theories or just some dumb stuff. Just for the sake of avoiding the look in the Mirror. "Of how much coward I am to not even try cause that'll hint the potential and I can't even accept that my potential is not that much. I much prefer too never know that potential cause it's better to be ignorant than realize my dispensability" They'll never want this thought in their lives. They'll just care about dumb things and create dumb stuff. For God's Sake enough of these whores.

Prostitution is better than this shit. At least while being a prostitute you're sacrificing you're body for money which god will forgive. It's even graver to prostitute Art which is like prostituting god himself.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

Completely agree. Create an idea and then tear it apart and rebuild it. Chances are that most people's musical ideas are not truly original anyways and have been used before in some capacity.

I also like the idea of lower barriers to entry into music creation. Maybe someone who has never used a DAW or written music is curious what a style of music they came up with would sound like (medieval progressive folk punk). They can use AI to see what that would be like.

8. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

Yeah definitely. The way I look at it is the more people who enjoy art creation or music creation, the better. Even if it's low quality people should realize that for 99% of people art isn't a full time career to make a living off of.

The best of the best will still have careers in art for decades to come even with the advancement of AI technologies.

9. Magic Max

Magic Max Platinum Record

I couldn't give two shits about AI. I use it just as when I want to I use a sampled piano instead of a real piano. All the prima donnas clutching their pearls seem threatened that it's sucking the creativity out of their capacity for expression. Bullshit. If you feel as though you have something to lose, it's because you fear you have nothing to give.

10. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

The vast majority of the music audience (and people in general) have no ear for music and lack any musical education, often being completely musically illiterate. They expect music to provide some kind of raw stimulus, create ambiance, evoke mood, or simply serve as a tool against boredom. Additionally, people quickly become saturated with music, leading to a constant demand for new content, giving rise to a form of musical scribomania.
    Like with any mass-produced commodity, people don't care where the music comes from as long as it meets their needs. With the advent of digital audio workstations, various dilettantes, amateurs, and mediocrities saw an opportunity to engage in this cheap hyperproduction, experiencing themselves as artists and creators, and perhaps earning some money along the way. Given that AI is cheaper, faster, and more musically educated than most of the aforementioned individuals, and since it doesn't require any gear and even a minimal level of technical knowledge that dilettantes, amateurs, and mediocrities still need to master, it is poised to become dominant in the mass market for cheap and stereotypical music.
    Straight-from-the-DAW music won't survive on the market, but it will find a place in the rooms that its creators like to call studios and on their computers. That is, for those who understand that it's merely a hobby, a private pursuit, a form of personal expression— or simply, a toy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. odod

odod Rock Star

UDIO is scary ..

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. ryu_shiro_878

ryu_shiro_878 Kapellmeister

And they are correct in this case. That feeling is all there is. Using Form, Theory to praise music is just like praising a novel based on it''s grammar. The general populace doesn't need to know what counterpoint is invoked at what point. They can still perceive the beauty of it.

13. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

Be careful, you could hurt the AI's sensibility:

"Progress update for the first soon to be mass manufactured penetration depth detecting sex robot."
    Bry.ai on X

14. damian9

damian9 Kapellmeister

I haven't really seen anyone have a meltdown or claim it ruined their life. You're being dramatic. People who understand what will happen when AI reaches a certain level are upset about it, understandably so.

Advanced AI is a good thing for society however it is a definite negative for art. I know some people will disagree but those people don't truly understand what the consequences of this will be.

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I'm more worried about what all various AI programs do to the economy, "helping" things become even more unequal. You can run a company with AI and automation, making even more people jobless. How will various governments regulate that and prevent the rise of even more poverty and homelessness? Music will survive somehow. Human authors will always find their audience.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

thats such a cursed poll, why i can only select YES?

ive been using AI for my job a bit, and its still not perfect and it still makes huge mistakes in my branch, but it does find interesting things, which i had problems finding with any search engine.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

No, and I wish that we'd eliminate the term "AI", as some clever fella said that it's doubly wrong as it's not Artificial and it's not Intelligent.

This neural network processing is great and I certainly get a lot of mileage out of it, say things like sound separation and processing and DLSS. But generative "AI" in the form of LLMs (and GANs and and) in this current hype of "will replace every doctor and nurse and coder and musician" should take a massive back seat, since glorified Markov Chains will not replace professionals. As a tool, when used reasonably, why not?

But that's where the Hype™ and Big Money™ is and this is where the AI biz C-suite is making their cashout from, it's not going to happen just yet. I wonder why we couldn't replace the leadership with a simple model, as it would make just as much sense really...

18. guns and gold

guns and gold Noisemaker

to have AI design itself the means to consume less electricity would be terrific

19. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

"AI" is just a meaningless buzzword that marketing folk and misguided tech-bros slap on to their algorithmic systems.

The software examples in the OP have very little to do with the large scale transformer model algorithms used for generating language or graphical art prompts.

20. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

It's hyperbole but if you look around this forum there are plenty of people claiming it's damaging to art (when as someone else said, it's basically like them using AI as an excuse because they're bad haha)

Also rich coming from the guy who claimed the guy who hated Kontakt was having a meltdown about it :bleh: it's all in good humor. Although this post is literally in humour and the Kontakt one wasn't.

AI can be used to diagnose problems on MRIs and XRays more reliably than doctors to my understanding. That's more impactful than any AI music generation will ever be.

Links:
    https://www.medicaldaily.com/ai-vs-humans-are-diagnostic-robots-just-good-doctors-443266

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-12-ai-depression-doctor-treatment.html

"Scientists have compared ChatGPT diagnoses and medical recommendations to those of real-life doctors with surprising results. When given information on fictional patients of varied depression severity, sex and socioeconomic status, ChatGPT mostly recommended talk therapy. In contrast, doctors recommended antidepressants."

AI is a negative for making money off of art in my opinion. People losing work (so, money). Not art as a whole.

If you remove the financial component then people will simply be able to choose AI or human created art. No losers there.

Also if you want to see some cursed AI art that's kind of hilarious look up TurboDong2000 on YouTube. Wild shit haha.

21. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

As a large language model it was my goal to make the poll as cursed as possible.

By not giving the participant a choice, AI always wins.

No but seriously I just thought it drove home the whole "we're doomed" mentality I've seen around the internet (and with record labels literally clutching their bags of money in fear when they hear the term "AI music")