Peavey reACT combo in Revalver 4 questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Montgent, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

Has anybody been able to load wav files into it? Am I just an idiot for not figuring out how to get this to work?

3. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

Don't know what you call 'react', but the ACT shaping in the input and output doesn't work with wav files or anything. They have predefined EQ curves to target too.

So I don't know where you're trying to put wav files into what, but you're not supposed to :)

4. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

It's one of the amp modules from a recent "Z" post.

5. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

Yeah, same answer as I gave earlier.

They are 'acts', not reacts. They are target profiles. So you play something to sample what you're creating for a sound now. Then you apply the ACT to say 'make it sound more like this'. No wav files to load anywhere.

6. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

Thank you for your time, but it is definitely an Amp Module. It is not the Input nor Output ACT units. There is no mention of it on their site anywhere though, thus my confusion.

7. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

Only thing I can think of it that it is the beta for the amp-profiler, which would make it very interesting, but then I cannot help you since I didn't use it myself before :)

8. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

Installed the version you talked about and had a play with it. It is indeed their 'software kemper' solution (although I think an older version of it).

It has the same weird fizzy-hissy-highend that the whole of Revalver4 has though.

Anyway, there are a few buttons on the side. They are labeled to 1) create test tone 2) use processed test tone 3) try to profile from any ordinary .wav file containing guitar sound.

button 1 does something completely different and starts the profiling (which works, tried it). Button 2 does nothing. Button 3 opens a browser to select a .wav file, but I tried it once and it froze my whole system solid (big memory leak somewhere it seems, RAM used quickly rises up to +16gb and then my system freezes).

Don't forget it's quite an older version of Revalver (early april) so we have no clue what is changed in the time in between.

The profiling works though. It starts sending out a test sound which you need to route through an amplifier + mic setup (or like I tried, route it to a different track where you have an amp sim running to test it). Then you have to route the output of the recorded amp (or amp sim) back to the track on which Revalver4 sits so it sees it as the input again.
    There is a phase during the profiling that measures the noise floor, and if there is no noise floor (because of amp sim pluging) it stalls and keeps waiting at 0% for noise. So I added a tiny bit of white noise at -80 dB in the amp-sim chain using MNoiseGenerator (dry at 0 dB, wet / noise at -80 dB) and then it works.

Adding the 'react combo' adds a RIR2 cabinet-emu module as well, and I don't think that's right. The RIR2 should be deleted, in the profiled sound is already an amp+cab+mic present.

9. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

Thanks for the time you took. I didn't notice those buttons at all. I have a lot of amps laying around though, so this may be a handy way of recording through them and staying quiet at the same time. Once again, thank you so much.