PDF with audio examples

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by nmkeraj, Mar 7, 2022.

1. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Hi. I have bought a pdf ebook EQ Uncovered by Eddie Bazil. It comes together with audio examples in a separate folder. The ebook has switches to link to them but they are not active. They are dead pictures. I have managed to add an active link to the audio example in Windows Acrobat Pro. But it looks the ebook and audio folder must be together in the same location.
    Can I embed those sound examples into the pdf and keep it as one interactive file playable on all platforms?

3. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

sure. go ahead.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

How? Any clues?

5. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

if you have Foxit PDF Editor, you can embed audio and video files.

6. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

The good news and the bad news

The good news
    You can make it work on your system using Acrobat Pro (which you said you have)
    - Tools menu
    - Interactive Objects
    - Add Sound
    - Drag around an area in your document
    - Choose sound file
    - Done
    and now it will play the file inside your Acrobat Pro

The bad news
    If someone else is using installed Adobe Reader to view the pdf file, it will 'probably' play back ok.
    But if someone is viewing pdf files using any other popular pdf reader (of the dozens that are available), then it will probably fail to play the embedded audio or it will give them more hassle than it's worth.

Adobe's allegedly universal solution ceased to be universal a long time ago.

Edit: You could simply add the audio files as attachments to the pdf file if you felt that was an easier way of distributing the pdf and audio together. That's not the interactive solution you asked for but maybe an acceptable compromise.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  7. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

The book was released on the sister side but it wasn’t complete, no audio files. I would like compile such a pdf and release it. So I would like to get it work for everybody.

8. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Sorry if my edit answer was not clear enough.
    When I said 'add the audio files as attachments to the pdf file' that does mean 'attachments actually within the pdf file'.
    I was not suggesting just bundling the files separately.

In Acrobat Pro you can add attachments. You end up with just one file, the pdf file + the mp3 files contained inside.
    When someone opens the pdf they find the attached audio files listed inside the pdf and then just extract them.
    It is not interactive - you can't play them directly within the pdf, but it is just a single file that you distribute and it is probably as close to a universal solution as you can get.