PCIe-Audiointerface (Market overview April 2021)

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by BEAT16, Apr 28, 2021.

1. AudioMixing22

AudioMixing22 Member

Thank you for such a great topic really helpful info . :wink:

2. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

What?
    Those EMU cards 1212m, 1616m and 1820/M have one of the smallest latency, even today.

3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

If you want to avoid any PC interference with your PCI or PCIe audio card, always use a digital card with SPDIF/AES-EBU and ADAT outputs with a good external AD/DA converter. I'm talking PCI or PCIe cards from RME or Lynx.

Hence my combo of choice is RME HDSP 9652 with TC StudioKonnekt 48, and I also have TC BMC-2. There are also great Focusrite Octopre's 8ch preamps with ADAT I/O.Older versions can be found for pretty cheap these days and the Scarlett one is like 450 euro.

Cheapest good sounding AD/DA with ADAT I/O would be Behringer's Ultragain ADA8200. Yes, I said Behringer. LOL But reall, if you need 8 channels of perfectly fine AD/DA conversion [if you have external analogue equipment you want to use] ADA8200 or even older ADA8000 will do. New one costs about 150 euro, and ADA8000's could be found for 100 euro or so...

Cheers!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I used to have 2 PCI cards that ask you where should the interference come from? Maybe you can give an example of what you have connected. With PCI sound cards, especially the expensive RME sound cards, the impression should not be created that a interference is to be expected and b that you have to buy something.

5. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Back in the day this is what I used, not a single issue and easily one of the best sound cards Ive ever owned:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

a friend of mine is selling his RME Multiface II PCIe. Located in Germany. pm me and I will connect you if there is interest.

7. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

except for RME who else makes his own Ad/Da converter?

8. dia manu

dia manu Producer

aurora 16 + hdx most stable i ever had

now im on uad x16 on tb3 and its total shhhht

i might drop it and get the new lynx aurora n with a hdx again just because it works

9. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

maybe because of my setup
    i had a amd athlon 2700 512 memory back in 2003 or 2004
    i still mis my emu 1820

10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Inexpensive alternatives

1.) Ebay Infrasonic - Quartet - 4 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Audio Interface with MIDI / HDMI [129 €]
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/185043728795?hash=item2b1577399b:g:2OQAAOSwliRhO8Hj
    Infrasonic - Quartet https://simsaudio.co.kr/sims_infras...oducts&command=other_insert&exe=p_PCI_quartet
    Review http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/proaudio/infrasonic-quartet.html

Strong hardware points of the new product also include new promising converters (AKM AK4620B).
    We've already seen them in the ECHO Audiofire 4 and RME Fireface 400.
    The AK4620A is positioned for professional sound cards, DAW, and other equipment.
    The codec supports up to 24-bit 192 kHz for recording and playback. Signal to noise ratio is 100 dB, dynamic range - 113/115 dBA.

2.) MAYA44 eX (159 €) 24-bit / 96kHz PCIe audio card with 4 inputs / outputs
    www.esi-audio.de/produkte/maya44ex/ and www.thomann.de/de/esi_maya44_ex.htm

11. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

I'm using a SPL Crimson interface (USB 2) and it works like a charm, besides some latency issues on huuuge projects.

I was on Esi Maya 44e but it has kind "artifacts" in FLStudio (many years ago) so I dropped it for myself (it's used in a family computer now).

The main reason because I'm using the Crimson is the great panel - everything you need can be adjusted by hand, not by software. That's the main flaw with PCIe cards - you might have a shitload of features, like a dsp with further soundshaping capabilities, but you have to manage it in their software and no possibility to control it "outside". That's my personal dealbreaker at this point.

However, it depends on what you expect from your soundcard. If you really need super low latency, e.g. if you play live - or at least a lot/recording in studio - your choice might go to an internal card if you struggle with ~20ms latency (via USB).
    Or if you have a LOT of inputs, like a full drumset (10+ mics) plus additional instruments (guitar, bass, synths, whatever) - that's a main reason to have an expensive internal card with breakout box.

Please keep in mind that the most expensive soundcard wouldn't make your music better.
    There is almost no difference in a cheap (but good) $100 usb interface compared to an expensive $2000 internal interface, regarding the sound.

Before you spend too much money in an expensive interface, you might fix your other issues:
    * Room treatment (!) for your cans (speakers)
    * Good cans ;)
    * If you don't use cans, get 2 pairs of headphones, open and closed (from Beyerdynamic, AKG,...)
    * Tutorials on how to produce music
    * A good midi keyboard
    * UWHQ / 4K display(s)
    * insert more here...

12. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I tried to explain this the other day very basic form. You hit it dead on. USB also has to much over head to pump audio streaming. Fire wire was way better than USB since the data could flow faster.

13. tchouangtseu

tchouangtseu Kapellmeister

Anyone has experience with the RME HDSPe AIO Pro? Looking to get a pcie card from Rme, but i dont want to grab an older pci model as the newer mobos only have pcie slots...

Problem is that this unit is unavailable for an unknown period of time...chip shortage? They have other options but i dont wanna go Madi way or AES, still wanna have a mix of adat,spdif and aes

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  14. AudioMixing22

AudioMixing22 Member

Anyone has RME Raydat Pcie ? asking about latency and working overall in windows 10/11 ? Thank you

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  15. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

So what do you think I should get?
    A PreSonus Quantum 2626 or MOTU OR a PCIE card.
    I currently have a Focusrite Pro 40 Firewire. speed is ok not as bad as USB since the data can flow freely..
    I wanted to get a unit to hook up a ada8200 and the pro 40 via ADAT with another unit.
    More inputs different pre's on each unit. I really would like to keep it to under 1k USD.
    1k meaning just the new unit I have the ADA8200 already via ADAT to the pro 40
    I haven't seen anything new coming to the market for 2021.

16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

PreSonus Quantum 2626 (599 €)

You can be bothered by the fact that the Presonus Quantum 2626 does not have direct monitoring and you can be bothered by the fact that the headphone outputs do not have a selectable source. But at its core, the Quantum 2626 is a very good, very fast interface with many inputs and outputs for little money. The latency is unbeatable at the moment, the CV compatibility is a great point for synthesizer friends and an interface with eight analog plus 18 digital inputs and outputs via Thunderbolt 3 has to be found for just under 600 euros. Well done, Presonus.

Plus
    + good workmanship
    + low latencies
    + Thunderbolt 2 compatible with adapter
    + Word clock
    + Sound
    Minus
    - permanently assigned headphone outputs
    - permanently assigned pre-amp inserts
    - permanently assigned return channels

MOTU 828ES (985 €)

The MOTU 828ES is not only a successful update of the 828x, but above all also an "inexpensive 1248 AVB". The usability of the hardware is extremely pleasant, the look is much more appealing and the clarity thanks to the large displays is guaranteed. The internal DSP mixer with its effects is powerful and leaves nothing to be desired. In addition to Thunderbolt 2 and USB, the AVB interface increases the expansion and control options enormously. Cascading is possible without further ado and aggregate device.
    In terms of workmanship, the 828ES is in no way inferior to its predecessors and the flagship. The converters, the two headphone outputs and also the preamps sound really very clean, crisp and transparent. They enable high-quality recordings and playbacks. Only the preamp gain is not one of the strongest on the market. Nevertheless: an extremely convincing interface, which can score well above all because of the relatively low price. 5 Stars.

Pro Contra
    + lots of analog I / OS
    + two good preamps
    + high quality sound
    + many good DSP effects
    + A / B speaker support
    + integrated talkback microphone
    + very good price / performance ratio
    + Wireless control via WLAN / iPad + USB, Thunderbolt and AVB network connection

- "only" 63 dB gain
    - Effect order cannot be changed
    - Effects in graphic mode cannot be fully operated with the mouse

RME HDSPe RayDAT (585€)

Unfortunately, there is hardly anything less exciting than reliably functioning interface cards. Problems with the synchronization and distribution of digital audio signals, however, make the work very stressful in a very short time. ("Did I hear it crack?" ... "Don't know." ... "Again!" ...)
    We want to end this test with a relaxed “Excellent”.
    Brief evaluation for the RME RayDAT, but equally valid for the HDSP9652:

Plus
    + technology leader in synchronization capability and latency
    + unsurpassed range of functions and maximum flexibility in the smallest of spaces
    + useful utilities: Total Mix and DigiCheck
    + constant product maintenance and reliable support
    + Developed and Made in Germany
    + good price-performance ratio

Minus
    - fully equipped with proprietary breakout cables and problematic, not strain-relieved connectors
    - Accessory pack ADAT strips of simple quality do not hold in in-house and external ADAT sockets (Yamaha, Behringer, Roland)
    - A use of higher quality, armored ADAT cables is impossible due to the tightness of the connectors
    - Manual only "digital", identification of the ADAT ports and interfaces without manual difficult

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  17. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

THanks for the info.

Are there any new thunderbolt stuff coming out in 2022?
    I might wait.

What I like about the MOTU is it has both Thunderbolt and USB but the Thunderbolt is only version2 not 3.

18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Maybe this is the right product for you:

MOTU 828ES (985 €)
    https://motu.com/products/proaudio/828es

[​IMG]

19. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual