PC Build questions/advice sought!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by ProfessionalAmatuer, Jul 27, 2014.

1. ProfessionalAmatuer

ProfessionalAmatuer Newbie

Hi there everyone,

First off, thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am new to the forums and looking to build my own PC. I have done so in the past (years ago, and for gaming purposes) with a friend of mine who helped me assemble it. I am certainly no expert.
    I have a list of parts here that i'm narrowing in on and would appreciate advice regarding compatibility and quality.
    Bear in mind this would be a machine for both music production and gaming :)

CPU - Intel 4770k $382
    Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X UD7H $234
    SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb $175
    HDD - Seagate 3.5" Constellation 3TB $205
    GPU - Nvidia GTX760 2Gb Asus-OC $308
    Case - Fractal Design Define R4 - $100
    RAM - Kingston Fury 1866 2x8GB - $180
    PSU - not sure

My main queries are:
    The mobo doesn't come with M.2 (not sure exactly what this is) is that a concern for connecting my SSD or anything? As far as I can tell, it isn't. It has 2x thunderbolt ports so I am quite keen on this one.
    The HDD, I don't have any specific reason for choosing this particular model other than the appealing price and space for samples, plug-ins etc. So any advice there would be great.
    The Fractal Design case is supposedly specifically for music production considering it has such great acoustic qualities, can anybody attest to that?
    I don't have a preference on a PSU, something quiet and probably around 650-750w would be good

I will be using my external audio interface so no need for a sound card. Also, any advice for cooling systems would be great.

Thanks!

3. Anachronox

Anachronox Noisemaker

HDD: I'd get a WD Black, Seagates are not that reliable lately.
    PSU: take a look at Corsairs.
    GPU: why not an AMD 280X? It's faster than the GTX 760 (which is a bit overpriced at $308 by the way).

4. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

With a mobo 2011 you should think about a Xeon, there are some with 61, yeeeees 61 CORES!!!
    Remenber that add ons with thunderlbolt are ususally expensive and only a few.
    Sometimes you can start with 2 hd and end with 20, so I recommend a modular with 1000w :wink:

5. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

There's not many peripherals for the music industry with 'Thunderbolt' interface is there ?

For PSU and case - consider fan noise, because of it's going to be located in your audio room.

6. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

It look very similar to the one built recently i have a much cheaper case with two extra 120 mm fans it is way more quite than my mac pro
    And for ram i have corsair

For PSU i bought a corsair 750 w modular so i only have those cable that is needed

If you want to install OSX take a nvidia graphic card

7. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

If you are going to be using kontakt a lot, you may want alot more ram than 16g.

8. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

I would recommend 32gb ram, you wont have to worry about upgrading, and also find out the read write speed of the ssd and compare it with others within that price range and size. Make sure you are using sata 6gb cables once your thunderbolt connections are used, and consider fans with a "pull push" configuration to ensure optimum airflow. You might need to consider thermal paste too.

9. New Model No.15

New Model No.15 Newbie

Dude you are wasting money picking all the top shelf components! posh case, 180USD on ram. wow i hope your swimming in $$$. you could get the same performance from half the cash! dont believe the hype around alot of shit marketed to "gamers". Everyone knows they have loads of cash (or their parents cash) to blow on this stuff.

The nice parts you pick out are going to be outdated in no-time, better, new technology will replace it. (do you want to pay for their research?)

Also trying to build a decent, stable Audio machine/Gaming machine is an oxymoron. if you are swimming in cash get another one for gaming!
    peace

10. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

New Model No.15 !
    You talk a lot about cash so give us your recepeto build a computer with the same performance with half cash????!!!! :wow:
    I build computers at least 30 years and never know about that... :excl:
    You must be a genius right? :bow:

11. New Model No.15

New Model No.15 Newbie

genius, of course!
    thank god your not being sarcastic..

honestly though its not that hard! (you have to forget the gaming pc thats the point i was trying to make)
    -scrap the gpu, the cpu has one more that enough built-in -234
    -buy several 1tb WDs if you need 3tb instead -60
    -could spend half on mobo no problem -120
    -normal case (its a case for gods sake,acoustic qualities hah) -80
    -scrap the SSD (personal preferance, i can wait 5 extra secs for OS to load) -175

thats 670$ to spend on a cheap analog synth, a VST, quiet fans and a 50$PSU
    you can thank me laterz:)

12. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

No models and differemt performance, no one can tell how much reasources other needs.
    The point is to sugest the same performace with the same cash and not tell anyone that he needs less resources so achive what someone needs.
    Here is a place with a lot of politeness and friedship and now one must judge if someone is "flowing in the cash", if he has money GOOD FOR HIM, and no one need to be jelous right? (if someone flows with cash, that someones do not ask for advice, that someones go to store and buy the best)
    JUDGE abou anything is no friendship! :bleh:
    Here is a place to help the beaty, the ugly, the rich, the poor, the expert and the novice..just that
    SDDs are more than 5 secs of boot... you should try a good one :wink:
    Hugs from Brazil and please do not judge anymore :mates:

13. joem

joem Producer

if you shop around you can get the newer i7 4790k devils canyon. (what im rocking) for the same price as the 4770k its 4ghz stock and boosts to 4.5ghz per core.
    same with the Samsung ssd you can get the faster newer and better 840 evo (im running 2 inj my set up and love them)
    as people have said you don't need a gpu if your using it to just produce on as hd 4600 graphics are more than enough
    also you can get 1600 mhz ram for a lot cheaper and you will not see any difference in performance between 1800mhz and 1600 mhz.
    also instead of maniacal drive you thought about hybrid drives instead i am running 3tb seagate ss hybrid and its amazing.
    with money youll save you can get better cooling as its advised to not run stock fan on a i7 at all, if your not planning on overclocking a cooler master hyper 212 evo is an amazing cooler for cheap

14. Titan

Titan Member

Also try to find a mobo with texas instruments firewire input. It works like a charm wih the most hardware interfaces.