PC build for audio ( youtube channels )

Discussion in 'Education' started by 30hz, Nov 20, 2017.

1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

No, not really. But. It is a known malfunction since about 2006-2007 if i recall. Some of those fans just go bad after some years. Opening the rack and DIY replacing the fan is your best bet imho. I do remember 10 yrs ago MOTU would fix this (probably replacing the faulty fan) for something like 80 dlrs, which seemed like an absurd price for a fan that costs anywhere from 3-10 dlrs tops.
    Mine is still silent (but i clean it often), whereas my buddy's has become noisy like yours. With his hd192, once the noise kicks in, it never goes away unless you shut down the device lol.
    Fans may go noisy because of too much dust-turned-to-dirt gathered or simply wear themselves off.
    Again i strongly suggest doing it yourself.

2. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I have a background in consumer electronics repair, so that helps. I'll need to open it and see what size fan it is and rpm, voltage etc. Then try to find the exact fan (as I recall they're not available anymore), price the MOTU replacement (manufacturer is usually expensive), or find a suitably spec's replacement. I'm not afraid of splicing so that should help expand my options somewhat. I'll post back what I find. Maybe you can help your buddy. I guess I'm lucky in that mine goes from noisy to relatively quiet.

3. digitaldragon

Oops, repost. :disco:

4. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I'd just replace it with some of the silent PC fans, like I did in K2000 and Yamaha A5000. However, this one is rather small, like one of those on VGAs, so it's noisy by default. This solution should dampen the noise a bit, plus the equivalent fan could be a bit quieter nevertheless and cost a few $. I can't believe they priced the replacement $80! But we all know that when it comes to music equipment, everything costs 10 times more. :sad: Just look at the prices of SCSI hard disks and old EDO RAMs on e-bay. On rare occasions you can stumble upon someone who doesn't ask an arm and a leg for those.

[well, I replaced my SCSI HDs with SD cards anyway. No noise and far more reliable. :P]

Edit: contemplating it a bit further, I might even make a bigger hole and put in a bigger fan with lower RPM, depending on if I want to sell it later, of course. Some people don't like to see "home" solutions like that, even though you can make it look rather neat. :wink:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

It was 79.90 actually lol.
    The video actually shows it was just bad mounting of the fan which as screwed directly on the metal case, makes noise. So It most likely can be fixed with just adding some round rubber pads between the case and the screws using the original mounting and perhaps adding the same diameter but longer screws, thus not really modifying the original build visually.

7. digitaldragon

Interesting mounting method. I think I might try using longer mounting screws and use some of those rubber HDD washers first if it actually ends up to be a mounting issue.
    I don't believe that my noise problem is due to the mounting, though. Pretty sure mine stems from the fan gone bad. Who knows, after I open it, I might be able to blow some dust off and get it silent again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List