PC based keyboard software - learning

Discussion in 'Education' started by m1watch, Apr 19, 2019.

1. m1watch

m1watch Noisemaker

Hi all, what software would you recommend for learning piano and keys. For guitar I use guitar pro, rocksmith, you tube vids etc. But I basically want to follow along to sheet music and see if I've hit the right key as well as hear it. Picking up an AKAI MPK261 so thought I may as well get more out of it than just a controller ;-)

3. Batoumba

Batoumba Producer

Well Synthesia is sort of the equivalent of Rocksmith but for midi keyboard , it will train your muscle memory and its fun to play , here is what it looks like with sheet music https://www.synthesiagame.com/support/guide/displaySheetMusic , you could always just play to the colored keys or both

as for theory and reading sheet music there are plenty of complete tutorials out there like the
    15 part Udemy/Punkademic - Music Theory Comprehensive

other tutus about composition are worth it too like
    PML Production Music Live - How to Write Melodies Full Course and FaderPro Music No Theory Level 1 and 2

4. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Hm, it's all about the fingering in piano, because it's not isomorphic, so different keys/scales/chords will have may ways to perform them. Here is what I suggest: start practicing different scales and arpeggios - pentatonic, hexatonic, heptatonic etc after figuring out some basic techniques from youtube tutotorials. Then start learning simple songs and recording yourself playing in the DAW (this is enough for "visual feedback"). If you are rich enough you can drop 2-4k for isomorphic midi controller and tune it in fourths, fifths, whole tones or whatever.