Parallel Mid-Side Compression

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Pollice verso, May 28, 2017.

1. Pollice verso

Pollice verso Rock Star

these time i´m spending my days testing mi-side techniques in my mixes and i am very impressed with results. Yes i use mid-side process in my mastering(bx_Digital V2 and Elisya alpha compressor are in my chain 90% times) but not much in the Mix. Reading about it i´m founded are some amazing tricks with mid-side processing in a mix. i testing this an is amazing!!.
    What are you guys:)

FullSizeRender.jpg
    http://audiogeekzine.com/2012/01/3-mid-side-processing-tricks/ [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeah mid-side processing for compression has a lot of potential.
    I use compassion (by DMG audio) for that also (with the huge advantage that you can choose both for mid-side or for stereo to which "side" of the signal it listens, so for example have the side reacts to the side signal mostly but also a bit to the mid signal, or to respond entirely to the mid signal, whatever). Izotope dynamic tools in ozone latest edition also propose to work either in stereo or in mid-side. You can't choose how much which canal listen to which signal like in Compassion though.
    Also that's one of the big plus of Ultramarine 3 who can also process mid-side and shares that capacity with the model that inspired it (and others emu of that comp also have that), the fairchild which is pictured in this article (at least an emu)

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List