pad problem

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by albedo067, Feb 6, 2015.

1. albedo067

albedo067 Noisemaker

Hi guys
    I have a question,
    How can I manage the stereophonic sounds too by adjusting the phase.
    I often notice that they play too much stereo and also out of phase.
    this problem happens often with many synth presets.
    do you have suggestions??

thanks in advance
    albedo

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You can offset phase in most synths. Many synths have spread/width built-in aswell.
    You can try to detune/unison/supersaw less.
    You can narrow things down with plugins, like utility tool/stereo expanders/wideners/etc. You can even change panning feature (in most DAWs) to stereo dual mono or similar, and adjust your spatial width.

A mono (center) speaker for referencing phase-cancellation is always good. The "shittier" speaker, the better. ;)

4. I hope it is ok to plant a link to a bunch of free plugs here as they have everything to do with the post, and they are free. Did I mention that they are free. Anyway, Moneo - is a stereo plug-in which treats each channel as a separate monaural source. Each channel may then have its volume attenuated, its position in the stereo field panned, and its sonic character altered with a resonant lowor high-pass filter if you so choose. Moneo is equally comfortable with basic functionality (forcing mono) or inventive destruction of a source's original spatial and spectral identity! And then there is PhaseBug - Its primary function is to shift the phase of an incoming audio signal. This is a critical function in fixing source signals that have phase errors in relation to one another, which can cause inappropriate cancellation or reinforcement of frequencies in a mix.

Also, the team at Betabugs has a sense of humor which somehow comes across in their work, if you know what I mean, and if you don't, well....

5. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Try to use more mono sounds than stereo. see if the sounds (vst, loops) sound good with one side muted and EFX on the other side to make it sound bigger (verb).
    Experiment. You might learn something amazing and unique.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Flux Stereo Tool v3:
    http://www.fluxhome.com/products/freewares/stereotool-v3
    https://www.fluxhome.com/download

DR Dynamic Meter (with mono button):
    http://www.dynamicrange.de/sites/default/files/DR-Meter 1_4a.zip (PC)

7. Dash3r

Dash3r Newbie

I would approach it differently if you are facing too much phasing problems. Maybe try turning the widening a bit down to make it more 'stable', and then just use something like a sample delay to emulate the stereo effect.

8. albedo067

albedo067 Noisemaker

Turning on the web I found videos on you tube about ozone 6,
    with the dynamics (mid side mode) and the imager plug.. will do
    fantastic things for image and phase control

Thanks to all for the replies
    :wink: