Overview of new and cool features in Reason 9.2

Discussion in 'Software News' started by dondada, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Infidel

Infidel Producer

I'm sure the Reason programmers came up with one but then decided to use their own proprietary format instead of paying Steinbooger for a VST license. It is the number one request for Avid and probably Poopellerheads as well. (I call them that because I cannot use my ReBirth on my Win7 machine.)
    Rack Extensions are less expensive than a lot of VSTi's but I don't have a reason to use Reason much anymore. Now it is kinda like a free game that makes you pay for the good weapons. That is the way I view it anyway.

2. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Rack Extension devs probably wouldn't care because they got paid but the consumers who were made to purchase REs of things they already owned just so they could use with Reason? Those guys might riot a little.
    Rewire VST let's you load Reason devices as VSTs in DAWs that don't have built-in ReWire functionality.
    Using Plogue Bidule as the host, you can run Reason and VSTs together.

Propellerheads know that if someone wants a Rack Extension they have to pay for it. There's no way to crack these and it's assured revenue. They'd start losing so much money if they made Reason VST compatible. Almost every developer has an RE version of their VST now anyways.
    https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason/rack-extensions

ReBirth is 32-bit. The newer versions of Reason dropped 32-bit compatibility. You'd have to use Reason 8.2 (32-bit) or earlier to use with ReBirth.
    I just use the iPad version/studiomux or a direct line to the interface. :yes:

3. Infidel

Infidel Producer

I can't even install it on win7 and my xp machine died 2 years ago.

4. tek909

tek909 Member

5. anthony walker

anthony walker Noisemaker

Just my personal opinion and 1 of the reasons why I don't use it. A lot of people will not continue to purchase those racks , especially when they don't have a proven track record. Just saying.

6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Not sure if you're still trying to run ReBirth or maybe you've already seen this article but I'll link it anyways:
    https://francisfisher.me.uk/problem...with-rebirth-rb-338-on-64-bit-windows-7-or-8/

I feel like I'm in an alternate dimension.

7. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

Why would they lose money for hosting vsti's in their DAW? Make it make sense.

8. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

All Rack Extensions have to be purchased through the store. Propellerheads receive a percentage of the sale. In the existing ecosystem all Reason users that want any kind of add-on have to use an RE regardless of whether they own the VST version already or not. This is why so many developers have created rack versions of their plugins.

I'd love for Reason to bring in VSTs but I'm pretty sure that any user who already owns (for example) KORG's MonoPoly in VST format will just use that versus shelling out an extra $50 for the rack version too. If you can purchase a VST that works with every host you use including Reason the only people I see buying the rack version are a much smaller percentage of existing users with the funds on hand and who need rock solid stability with the proprietary format.

9. tek909

tek909 Member

If I was able to pick one or both. I would allow us end users to use both formats at the same time. Re & Vst together & equal

10. Lepow

Lepow Producer

shit did you guy saw the other tread? damn its real. *cutest emoji face with glossy eyes*

11. anthony walker

anthony walker Noisemaker

Apologize all of you!!! I know your heard about 9.5.

12. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@anthony walker
    Dude come down lol... You apologize when you insult or mislead ... apologize for just saying what is obvious? Here's a little history.
    VST was already there and rocking the DAW world when Propellerhead released Reason back in 2000. Where were you ? Leaving out Vst was as bold as it was an awkward decision from the get go. Maybe it wasn't very clear back then. But, fast forward a couple of years later and Steinberg VG (made by Wizoo) and Spectrasonics Atmosphere were making waves everywhere, vst was already a major necessity in most studios but this again didn't seem to ring any bells in the Propellerhead devs' ears. Even Cakewalk, a major player in all things DX-DXi, compromised acknowledging the vst protocol's superiority in most aspects and went Vst a little later. For many years users were asking for vst support in the Reason forum and other places like Kvr etc, countless discussions everywhere, and Reason vst never happened. Have you read the Reason devs answers in the past? I suggest you do and then ask me why i quoted that "one liner". To me, they were sounding like they thought they re-invented the wheel or something. Their stance towards vst was the reason (pun intended) i never upgraded my version. Yep, last time i checked many years ago, i still own Reason 3. It was the last time i bought an upgrade to the soft anyway. Perhaps i will take the leap to 9.5, we 'll see.
    We 're musicians, any nice addition to a good soft is always welcome man. Personally i would welcome much more the possibility for Reason to become vsti itself just like ImageLine did with FL some years ago, rather than adding vsts in its own ecosystem. With that said, it is big news for Reason and will certainly attract new people to it, as you said (not having vst hurting their business etc).
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  13. tek909

tek909 Member

So,
    I guess, I was right. : D
    Being able to use Re's & Vst's shall be great.

"Taskforce"
    Thank you for saying, "you'd like to see RSN available as vsti like the image Line stuff".
    Then RSN would be the total modular instrument it is. And, provide its users with more alternative ways of maximizing their music potential.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017