Overused old voice sample can't be found anywhere. HELP please!

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by mild pump milk, May 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Hi again.
    I am looking for a very old sampled voice from probably one geographic video about nature, or tv show, or something else.
    This sample has these words:
    "Earth. A biosphere. A complex subtly balanced life support system" with its background sine synth detuned melody.

Used by
    Enigma - Morphing Thru Time (1996),
    Dreadzone - The Lost Tribe (1997),
    Asia 2001 - Cyborg Culture (1996),
    Abscess - In Your Mind (1995),
    Planet B.E.N. & Spiralkinda - Triple Helix (Midi Furz) (1997)...

and some several other projects, don't remember their names.
    All these tracks have this sample in the beginning / intro. Asia2001 has it in the beginning and outro. Abscess has this sample at 2:44. All videos and tracks can be found everywhere. But not the original sample or source.
    Triple Helix (Midi Furz) by Planet B.E.N. & Spiralkinda. They used this sample on 5:23.

So, no true sources are listed of what it is from.
    Google doesn't help, youtube too, etc.
    Only I found is quotation by Leonard Nimoy, posted by one user on Facebook. Looked thru some his old tv shows (In Search Of... With Leonard Nimoy) that are connected with planets, life, geographic, but couldn't find, but background melodies and fx sounds are in this his tv show style, and voice is too close, but Leonard's voice is much faster, brighter and not so rough. So I don't think it is the true source of this sample (30% I believed it was there).

Please help me find this sample.
    Or other tracks with this sample which can be cut from and restored from music with RX...

Guuuuuys....help..

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

4. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

That's definitely Leonard Nimoy's voice. Could have been lifted from an episode of Star Trek from what it sounds like. Could also be from this:

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

don't think it's nimoy by the way...

6. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

I googled for about 15 minutes and this was all I found too.

Maybe you should try https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/ just in case it is actually Nimoy.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  7. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

I think you were close with "In Search Of...", but not because of Nimoy. I think it's actually Rod Serling in the sample. Serling (aside from being the well-known host of The Twilight Zone, of course) was supposed to be the narrator of "In Search Of..." but only had the chance to do a couple related/precursor movies instead of the entire series.

8. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

I think that voice could be Carl Sagan, famous TV science documentary maker in the 70s and 80s. His voice was pitched-down or slowed-down.

9. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

as @Thankful said it sounds like carl sagan pitched down. its probably from the tvshow "cosmos"

you could challenge yourself and create the voice yourself, either with some txt-to-speech software or use a mic and record yourself and process it. i could turn out to be much faster than spending more time on searching for original.

wouldn't your tune be just as good, or maybe even better if you whent that way? :)

10. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

it sounds pretty old school to me...60's or early 70's .... I'm not getting Serling either..
    sounds like one of those stiffly narrated high school science movies from waaay back...

Sagan nah.. his delivery is too distinctive also... pauses...not from Cosmos..
    I watched 'em all.. feel free to prove me wrong

not picking up famous intonations whatsoever... either someone generic..or in the early
    stages before their voice gelled

one thing for sure, . if 3 -4 bands have used this.. it exists in the wild somewhere....just a matter of time

11. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

I agree with that, and one thing that might disprove that it is someone pitched down is that all the bands wouldn't pitch them down the same degree, so it would be suspicious for them to all be the same pitch. I know that's a common technique, but I personally think that pushes away from the Carl Sagan idea, although the subject matter and time-frame definitely fit.

I also agree that the cadence, etc. is not Sagan either.

It seems suspicious to me that all these projects seem to be in the 1994-1999 era yet the sample sounds older. Since it wasn't the popularity of Enigma that caused the sudden boom in interest (Abscess being previous) then it has to be something that isn't super rare and maybe happened to have been re-released, re-broadcast, or otherwise resurfaced in like 1993 or so?

I thought it might have been the Shell oil movie Climate of Concern that came out right about then, but it's not. The subject matter is very James Lovelock.

12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

13. elixter

elixter Kapellmeister

14. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

As the OP already said, it was first sampled by Enigma for 'Morphing Thru Time' which is on the album 'Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi' (The king is dead, long live the king). But we're trying to find the original, dry commentary.

15. mild pump milk

The sample from this film used on the first track from this album, you may hear it is there man saying "Roger that " or something like that...
    But the sample I am looking for is probably not from this film. Second track.

16. mild pump milk

5.23 again this sample. Source cannot be found again. Another voice sample from this track is from The Day The Earth Stood Still.
    I will try to download this ep/single and look through booklet. Imho sometimes there is an information there. But not always...

17. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

how about just hit up Michael Cretu... and ask him.. WTFfffff man ???? :winker:

18. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Yeah! and send him the link to this thread even, he might get a kick out of this :)

19. mild pump milk

If it was so easy to find how to contact.. If it is so easy, his email/pm overfilled.. And he answers on all messages ?
    Don't think so. It is easier to conversate with Trump, than with Cretu or other music stars :D

20. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

yeah I wasn't totally serious.. but he should have a bunch of groupies and/or freaky deakies answering his mail at least :dunno:

that's 5 bands who have used it... it's probably free domain....

21. elixter

elixter Kapellmeister

Oh this is often used as the Wilhelm Scream XD