Overall Mix Quality

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by jimrantos, Apr 3, 2021.

1. jimrantos

jimrantos Noisemaker

Hello people!
    I have a question that has been bothering me for a while, yet I haven't found a solid answer anywhere.
    So, let's say that I am never satisfied with my final mix for every project I make.
    I always try to keep it simple and not add too many effects on my mixer, but still there are things I notice are not going quite well.
    My beats lack that loudness, even when I try to keep everything just under 0db.
    My beats lack that clarity, even though I EQ each sound separately in its track.
    I came to a point where I really don't know what I'm doing wrong and need the help of the community.
    I am using FL Studio 20.7 for your information.
    Is it that FL's Audio Engine is bad? (I have read that somewhere).
    Is it that I'm missing some kind of "sauce" that I'm not able to find?
    I really don't have a clue, any help is much appreciated.
    PEOPLE WITH THE WISDOM OF THE CENTURIES, PLEASE SHINE THY LIGHT UPON ME!

3. Lorrislehorse

Lorrislehorse Ultrasonic

If you want your music to sound "fat" maybe try a dubstep mixing and mastering aproach

4. jimrantos

jimrantos Noisemaker

Thank you for the reply! I do new era trap/hip hop. Have spent hours on youtube watching tutorials. trust me they don't really help. To achieve that "thickness" I do various compressions depending on the track. My problem is not that they don't sound fat, they just don't sound clear enough. How to explain this. If my beats were weather conditions, they sound like there is mist everywhere. I am looking for a clean sunny day!

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Loudness has nothing to do with keeping everything just below 0dB FS. Loudness is a matter of RMS or LUFS.

Nonsense.

An example would be useful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. jimrantos

jimrantos Noisemaker

Thank you for taking time to read my post and reply.
    I didn't think of posting an example so here is my latest. (no compressor on this one, just tried to keep it clean).

Attached Files:

7. 9000k

9000k Producer

mastering will make it louder, but your kick drum is way too dominant (especially when playing 44hz F) and it makes it impossible to make the whole mix loud without reducing low frequencies
    as I quite liked the vibe of this song I tried to fix it a bit really fast with some compression, eqing and 2-3 dbs of limiting, I think there is still some headroom

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021

Attached Files:

8. akbarz

akbarz Ultrasonic

your only friend is clipper :)
    clip everything in every stage but with cautions. clippers can mess up your sound very easily but they also can do magic.

9. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Best Answer
    1. Mix into your limiter, learn to mix for for maximum LUFS.
    2. Learn to brighten and darken different parts of your mix. IE: if a song is the sky, there should be some sunshine, some very dark clouds, some grey and white clouds for contrast.
    3. Analog harmonics are your missing ingredient for depth and perceived level. Currently your mix lacks depth. A device like the LTL Silver Bullet or SSL Fusion bring real harmonic distortion with control to your mix, providing you more depth, punch and more level. If the mix is the sky, real harmonics help bring the 3D depth to a sky, allowing space for all the different color clouds giving the sky more depth and allowing for an overall clearer sky to the viewer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  10. ST_8506

ST_8506 Noisemaker

You might hate the simplicity of the solution, but the answer is mainly your choice in sounds. Your track will fall into place with very little mixing if it's built with the right sounds/samples. In this situation, your bass/kick need to be less similar for more contrast and punch.
    If done right, you'll start noticing how your mixes just become cleaning things up and coloring/subtle clipping.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. jimrantos

jimrantos Noisemaker

Thank you everyone for your answers, I will try to fix what I can you helped a lot!
    Also @9000k that's what I mean when I say LOUD! TY!

12. samsome

samsome Guest

some questions..

when u set compression to the overall track what attack and release u use?? and why?

also other settings?

also can u please be more specific what u done with eq

thanks!

13. 9000k

9000k Producer

eq curves are in the attachment, besides that there are 2 compressors (glue and mjuc) with fast attack and release to catch peaks and sidechain set to 400-500 hz to avoid pumping effect when kick is hitting, about 2-3dbs of compression on each
    some more plugins were used, but nothing substantial
    and obviously maximizer (I use pro-l) as a last step with about 3dbs max gain reduction to make it louder

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

• eq.jpg
      eq.jpg
      File size:
      103 KB
      Views:
  14. samsome

samsome Guest

its 3 eqs for same wavform?

on first EQ u boost mids a bit but on second eq u remove them and on third eq u add them again?
    can you explain why please?

also regarding compression

u said sidechain set to 400-500 hz to avoid pumping effect when kick is hitting, but isn't kick found at lower frequencies, so why is sidechain needed at 400-500hz and not lower?

Thanks a lot! much appreciated for your answers

15. 9000k

9000k Producer

the boosts are wider than cuts and they are not on the same frequencies if you look closer
    I like using multiple eqs for cleaner look
    as I said earlier, it was a very fast process so it might look like mess :D

when you look at spectrum analyzer kick is still hitting hard even at 200hz, but you are right, the longest part of the kick is below 100hz
    I just did what I did :D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. 9000k

9000k Producer

always compare your tracks with reference tracks guys, it's the best tip I ever got
    volume match, a/b both tracks, look at spectrum analyzer (this one can really help if you don't know what is wrong)
    you will get so much info on what your song lacks and what is overdominant
    using op's example: I can see there is a huge dip in mid frequencies, it is almost begging for something like a vocal or a synth line and of course kick floods everything else
    good luck

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

18. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

I have some free time till next week, send me the multitracks files, i'll mix it for you, and send you the whole FL studio project.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  19. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Such a great way to do it to see how others do it with stock plugs... or free ones / available ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. clone

clone Audiosexual

that's a really nice offer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. jimrantos

jimrantos Noisemaker

Okay mate I will send you a folder with all the sounds and flp in it. Thank you! (how do I send it tho?)