Overall mix quality of the song

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Michelangelo, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Member

Hello people, I am new to this forum. So if I made any mistakes while posting this I would ask you to ignore them.

So here I did a remake of one song and I would like to ask you guys about mix quality, I dont have really good pair of headphones (I know it's a one-part excuse) but I cant really hear what is wrong with this mix. If someone can help me understend where is the problem I would be greatful.

The file is on MEGA because it was too large to uploade here:
    https://mega.nz/file/Lp53jCoR#36BmnYw4OwsZ2cl1J1Rgh1p4rCPQb1Syp7117b0RuNc

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Depends, if you make severe mistakes you'll be warned and slapped [​IMG] (the latter part is just kidding - I think).

I couldn't open the link or download the file.

And welcome to THE forum.

4. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Member

I appreciate your welcome. the link is reuploaded on zippy , just click backspace
    between // and www

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

The vocals cry out for a de-esser and the distorted kick is clashing with the vocals.
    Arrangemet-wise, I'd mute the HH at 1:36 at least for half of the part (like in the outro).

6. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Member

Ok thank you for the answer, have a great day!:wink:

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Hi Michelangelo, and welcome to Audiosex.

Actually zippyshare is blocked in many countries, so if you could use another file hosting service, more people could listen to your mix.

I agree with No Avenger about the vocals, The kick also needs more low end. And the mix is a bit too boxy/ closed. IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Member

Appreciate your welcome and thank you for answer, I changed the link to MEGA. Is there any tip how to make mix feeling less closed ?

9. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

filling out the spectrum, all over 20 hz to 20khz. My latest trick is the 'opening' sound with high filter shelf. Sometimes with ssl emulation sometimes with pultec emulation. Honestly, all kind of elements needs balance with high frequencies. Kick to bass, lead vocal to keyboards. Also multiband compressors are your friend. You can use them whenever you need instead of regular compressors. I am only using analog emulation compressors for coloration (i hope it's the right term). All spesific problems getting solved by multiband compressor.

Also saturation is very nice option for making sound richer and fuller. But you need to be careful with amount of saturation. Generally mixbus saturation is good for glueing everything up. Instead of mixbus compression. You dont have to use mixbus compression all the time. Less is more, always.

10. Negro

Negro Kapellmeister

Buss your melodics and scoop some midrange so the clap slaps and the vocal sits on top better

11. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Well it will depend of the song. But generally, you have to decide where each element should sit in the mix, and "force" them to b there and not elsewhere.

There are many different methods for this, one method to achieve this is to begin with volume.
    Decide which element have to be in font and which have to be behind and set the volumes according to this decision.
    Then EQ the elements to refine their place, which one have to be in the higher frequencies , the mids, and the low.
    Finally use panning, you can add space by panning certain elements. (In this mix some things are already planned btw)

I hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List