Output Platform DIY rack mount sizing

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Vincent Price, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Vincent Price

Vincent Price Kapellmeister

well that is what I have to decide, the desk itself is varnished, so do I do the same to the extra bits of wood

2. Vincent Price

Attached Files:

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Great, the new music workstation takes shape and the " new " fits seamlessly into the living room ensemble.
    A thin wooden strip sometimes does wonders.

4. Vincent Price

haha yeah it isn’t going in the living room lol

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Do you have your own workspace ? Please send us a picture of your new workspace when you are done.

6. Vincent Price

Well, I call it my studio but..actually it is my bedroom...For me to be able to have this new desk fit in I have had to downsize my bed from a small double to a single bed, but tbh I am coping fine on it and prefer the smaller size.

@GreyMakesMusic (Instagram photo)

Here is what my studio used to look like...at the moment as you can imagine things are all over the place so it is a bit of a mess...once I get the extra panels glued and the racks installed then I can focus on tidying up and getting some order to the place...it doesn't help that I've just been called into work to shunt refrigerated trailers around tomorrow but oh well...gives me chance to have a rest from the desk and come back with a fresh mind...

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Appropriately, the BedroomProducerblog: https://bedroomproducersblog.com

Thanks for the photo, so even if you live light years away, you can still get to know a little bit of another person.

8. Vincent Price

Where abouts are you located...I never asked.

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I have sent you a PM with the answer, because of privacy reasons.

10. Vincent Price

@BEAT16 I never showed you the photos I took the other night, just a rehearsal for where everything is going to go eventually.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

What we see here is a highly modern workplace for making music with the latest digital technology. Time point 2022 AD.

12. Lube Bag

Lube Bag Producer

That looks class, gonna be a super clean rig!

Is there any tasty gear going in the rack spaces, or is it more of a "If you build it, they will come scenario" atm?

(Also, could be the angle of the photo, but that left monitor's position is making me nervous!)

13. Vincent Price

@Lube Bag, yeah it is pretty much a build it and it will come, but yes even my relatives have told me the same about that speaker!

It’s been repositioned since the photo was take

14. Lube Bag

Lube Bag Producer

Haha, my ocd brain is VERY glad to hear that!

But yeah that desk basically looks just like the Output one (which I've always thought was ludicrously overpriced) nice one!

How much did it cost you to build? Is it all solid ply?

15. Vincent Price

It is modelled on the OutPut desk, but I was sent plans that were made by a YouTuber called extralife

He made his own OutPut desk

It is all solid ply, I am glad I ordered the Birch when I did, the prices have shot up now, plus due to the location source (Won’t mention the obvious) there isn’t much supply at the moment due to the situation

In terms of price I think I paid £215 for all three boards, but only used two.

Me and a friend started it but in the end after it was put to one side for over a year I ended up paying for it to be completed which I paid £180 for

I am glad I did, but even though they said they’ve varnished it I am starting to find loads of bits that aren’t varnished at all, including quite a few bits on the desktop itself.

So if I had bought the actual desk from Output, I’d have ended up paying the price for the desk, shipping and then import / customs fees which in total came to just short of £1,000

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  16. Lube Bag

Lube Bag Producer

That's a really good price, and stuff's always a bit more rewarding when you're involved in the actual making.

Damn, that's super annoying about the varnish though! Although I guess at least it's something simple to rectify - would be a lot worse if it had been something structural or something. But yeah, nothing worse than paying someone to do something, and then finding out they've half-assed it!

It still looks great - will be cool to see it once you get all your gear set up, and you're able to get cracking on some tracks. Be sure to post some cool, mood-lit shots of it when everything's up and running!

17. Vincent Price

Yeah it is super annoying, last thing I want is to have to take the desk apart, but I may have to.