Outboard mastering chain advice

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Bunford, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Ok, I am looking to do most of my composition in the box, but to get an analogue warmth I want to run my master channel out through hardware and back into my DAW. I have a decent audio interface in my MOTU that has 8 balanced inputs, 8 balanced outputs and a balanced send/return. I also plan to have all my hardware routed to a patchbay to allow me to change order and chain structure if needed.

I'm just wondering what is a good starting point for some outboard gear specifically for a mastering chain? I tend to make atmospheric music (think Olafur Arnalds), film scores and techno so need something to cater for that if possible.

My provisional thoughts are:

DAW > Stereo Channel Strip > Stereo EQs (Pultec type) > Stereo Compressors (LA2A type) > Limiter > Saturator/Sweetener/Enhancer > DAW

Any constructive views or opinions?

3. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

This is not easy at all and this is a very subjective decision that has to make everyone for himself by experience, because this begins with "how does my room sound?", "how does my monitors sound in correlation with my room?" etc. If we're speaking of mastering, we're speaking of really high quality sound editing, because you have to hear as much as possible with an environment (sound wise) you like. Very often mastering engineers buy components, try them and sell them again and if they like it they maybe apply it into their chain. And this is really the only constructive advise, I can give to this topic.

It is really a hell lot of experience. :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Bunford is probably thinking about semi-pro mastering chain and mastering, for personal needs, to make his tracks shine better. Not Bob Ludwig or Katz [mastering is full of Bobs... have you noticed? :)] kinda mastering chain. :wink: Am I right?

5. twathead

twathead Kapellmeister

I may have mentioned this in another post, Tegeler Creme - Pultec style eq / SSL style comp - Great value for money.

No outboard limiters can really compete with In the box Limiters, nearly all mastering houses inc. AbbeyRoads, Metropolis etc use in the box limiters like Pro-L2, AOM invisible, Waves L2(old school sound) etc ....

Like Lieglein says above, your room acoustics / full range monitors must be sorted first before anything for Mastering.

Best of luck.

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Analogue limiters are actually very useful for achieving the sound/colour you want, and ITB limiters don't have to work so hard after you've used an analogue limiter. But ITB limiters are absolutely necessary as the last effect in the chain, of course. You can never get such precise limiting with an analogue one.