Other DAW users opinion on Bitwig

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Mind Cover, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Mind Cover

Mind Cover Member

Hey sexies, navigating through the forum I found that the subforum on Bitwig has the least threads, and that shows that by far is the less used DAW in this community. As a Bitwig user I was impressed, so I wanna see the opinion that you have on Bitwig.

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You either love it or you don't! Certainly a very good DAW!
    I'm friends with Studio One.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

Ableton is my primary -- it's the one I've found that suits my workflow best. But when I'm not in Ableton, I'm in Bitwig. There's a whole load to love about it. The fact that everything seems to be able to connect to and modulate everything else being it's best feature. And there are a load of fantastic tools for working with midi/notes that I love too.

But it just isn't as intuitive as Ableton. I feel like I never actually had to learn anything to use Ableton. I just picked up an early version, saw how it worked and boof -- I was up and running. Bitwig is a lot more opaque and I spend a lot more time looking things up in the manual.

I think it would just take a couple of must-have features to get me to switch, but I haven't come across them yet. There was a recent Sonic Academy Hints and Tips on Bitwig that I picked some interesting stuff up from, but it still wasn't enough to get me to reach for it by default.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Ankit

Ankit Guest

It is the newest DAW, what did you expect? People usually do not want to learn a new DAW.

Ableton has the least features among all other DAWs, which is why it is the most beginner friendly DAW. If you are happy with Ableton, there is no need to upgrade to Bitwig.

6. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

I've seen Pro Tools, I don't think I can be of a bad opinion about a DAW after that.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. popka

popka Member

Young and needs time to get better

sandbox vst
    notefx
    shit is crazy and i love it so much

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

It never really caught my attention, i didn't even know it was a daw untill recently, and even now i know very little about it.

I guess i just lost interest in new (to me) daws, i rarely use more than the basic functions in Reaper (or any daw) so looking at new names seems kinda pointless.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. droplet

droplet Rock Star

I had it for a day or two. Ableton I can even look at it so darn ugly. Reaper is my fav. It is very light and fast. easy to compose with and very nice to look at perhaps the best depending on what skin you use.

10. demberto

demberto Rock Star

Its good. Not overcomplicated like Studio One, for example.

11. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

Cluttered interface, I'm sure you can do nice music with it but it feels painful to the eyes.

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

I tried it once and the release disabled my computer keyboard. I tried it again more recently, and it is not a modern look at all, but that can be OK. I used to love this kind of GUI design when we had such slow computers that every bit of BS they could take away was appreciated. In 2022, even with insane GPU prices; I think we can afford more resources than this. Because I hate looking at it also.

It seems nice and stable. If I wanted a creative-centric workflow, it would be Bitwig. For a Linear DAW software, it's never going to catch up with Cubase or Logic for me. It's too unfamiliar and unique for me to invest the time into it. But it leads me to want to see more MFX generator types of Midi plugins, still. Even though we have 50 Arps. For me it's going to be a no. If I was much younger and starting over from scratch it would be a Maybe. It's not going to replace anything for me as my DAW, so it would just be like one big plugin or external editor.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  13. Chaindog

Chaindog Producer

I can only second that, I like the features it has, and it´s certainly #2 in my top 3 DAWs.
    But I have my best workflow with Studio One.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

if it had fl studio's piano roll (unequalled as of now) i would have switched already, as someone else said it really helps with creativity. i tried it for a few months

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. scroatmilk

scroatmilk Noisemaker

I came to Studio One from Bitwig. Bitwig always felt like more of a sound-designers DAW than a pop producer's DAW (I do mostly pop production). Moving to Studio One has been amaaaazing

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

My trajectory went like this:

Reason --> Cubase --> Ableton. I think what seduced me about Ableton is when it first came out, it had the best warping of all the DAWs I didn't need to worry if a sample loop was out of time, it just worked when I dropped it onto a channel.

It's probably not what you'd look for if you were recording a 40 piece orchestra, but I'm not so I don't care. But the sound design capabilities of Bitwig have a lot of appeal, so that's why I find myself playing with it.

I also use Reaper, but only to record from VCV rack. Once that shit's recorded, I'm dropping it into Ableton.

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

Ableton warping is handled nearly identical to Logic. Sometimes people compare time stretching algorithm "Sound" differences. Maybe this is a bit splitting hairs, and who does this while they are working on a track at a level where you will ever hear the difference later? You just turn it off.

18. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

You think Bitwig is the less used DAW? Bru, then u need to hang out with the Ardour/Renoise/LMMS gang

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

My trajectory, as a HOBBYIST, keep in mind:
    Cakewalk - Sonar, Acid, FL Studio, LMMS, Ableton, Studio One, Bitwig, Ardour, Reaper.
    I still have Bitwig installed but mostly to convert old FL Studio stuff, because FL Studio doesn't use "real" midi.

Reaper looked complicated and ugly, but it can do almost anything, and isn't that complicated in the end.
    Concerning the interface: All the time I used to spend searching in other DAWs for options and things that can't actually be done... can so far ALL be done in Reaper, and often in multiple ways.
    Almost any kind of shortcut of macro one can imagine can be done, and THAT makes workflow awesome.
    Almost any look can be had and even sizing of most of the GUI (if you want to dive a bit deeper), or one can use one of many themes already made for it.
    Same for all the macros / shortcuts, FX chains, etc...

I have spent many days over the years searching for how to do things that can not be done...
    ...reading threads of other people searching for the same things..
    With Reaper there is a learning curve , but almost every minute is spent learning from others what can be done or how to do what I want, because there is so much help and info. I have not had a question yet that there was not an actual way to do it, except for subfolders in the plugin window.
    Strangely (for me) due to the scaling and layout I don't care about subfolders. I loved FL Studio for it's expanding tree menus but I don't even miss them...and Reaper's is so much quicker to maintain, too, when adding stuff.

Reaper is the only DAW I have bought since my first Cakewalk 5.1 (or whatever it was).
    I have not ever been excited about a DAW since that first Cakewalk, either.
    Reaper makes me turn to my wife and say, "You wouldn't believe ...." and of course she doesn't.
    She doesn't understand any of it - LOL

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. Do Do

Do Do Member

Most of the Bitwig videos and post I have seen so far, are all about randomness. Just random sound design. Add fx, modulate, tweak some knobs, you get some random sounds. You all can argue, but in my opinion, randomness is just not musical.
    If you see it as a regular daw, yes it will get the job done. But it doesnt really have any stand out feature. Yeah modulation and stuff, you can create lots of things, but you wont land anywhere with that.

21. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

If I had to start all over again I wouldn't use Ableton but Butwig.
    Granted, it wasn't out there when I started out, but that's another story.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List