OSX to Windows and Confused!!!!!

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Bunford, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I was a Mac user and used Kontakt on there. I have moved over to Windows and have got Kontakt 5.5 installed and running fine. However, i have a clean install and looking to add new libraries (ideally into the libraries windows in Kontakt). I don't plan on building 'master' libraries and wish to add single libraries. However, a friend told me it is a nightmare with .nicnt files as they're not reliable and you get libraries not showing up properly, order changing constantly, some patches giving encrypted errors and asking for authentication and so on.

What is the latest and best way to add libraries before i begin tweaking with my clean Kontakt install? Thought it would be wiser to ask before tinkering with anything!

3. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

I use the .nicnt method and have no issues with that.
    A handy tool to use for filling up the .nicnt file is the one u can find here by Tracer: Click and look at Post #9 ...it helps You discover what SNIPD is free to use, so You can avoid conflicts

It is a very simple operation, trust Yourself :wink:

4. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

there is no such a thing as nightmare believe me I'M Legit user for kontakt and i also have cracked kontakt on my old laptop
    i never experienced any problem with kontakt , except for EWQL you will exprience encrypted library only in cracked kontakt
    on legit kontakt there's no problem with EWQL (Paid Version) , and for The "NICNT" there is a tutorial here in the forum : on how to create them
    Easy thing if you have any problem with library not showing up.....
    you can always change the <SNPID> in NICNT file & everything will go just fine , good luck :wink:

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

We have so many amazing resources to help you in this regard that there really is nothing to worry about. This is one of the few forums that when it comes to Kontakt, we've got you covered. We even have a Kontakt scripting section being started that will grow over time.

6. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

I fully understand it's hard migrating from one OS to another, it would seem it's a common issue so they wrote a book to help.

[​IMG]

:mates:

7. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

I thought WINDOWS 8 itself was already for dummies
    No need a book for that :bleh:

(Windows 8 user here)

8. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

Why Did you Switch :dunno:

9. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Welcome to the Dark Side, Bunford

For windows there are two methods i approve:
    .nicnt
    .nkx with registry treat(lol)

Legend:
    .nicnt, is easy to do, make & modify in the main folder (In which many like this option and by all means it works great)

.nkx with registry treat, requires a little more skill, but the end result is nothing short of amazing. (especially when it comes to making single & multi library Tabs)

for more information:

Creating Custom Master Tabs For Kontakt 5 Tutorial (Windows)

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I switched because I was using a Hackintosh and started getting weird glitches and have also recently sold my MacBook. Tried for ages to fix the glitches but in the end gave up and reverted to Windows and decided to just stick with it now.

11. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

What's tyhe easiest way to create working and reliable .nicnt files then?

Is there any site out there with a library of .nicnt files to download?

12. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Head here and grab the latest notepad release(link provided) and use the option 2 method, when creating new .nicnt's
    How to View all your <SNPID> Codes from .Nicnt's

Here is a complete .nicnt for my 8dio collection
    8Dio Collection.nicnt
    http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/KMoQuqzA/file.html

Here is a empty one(use this to create new libraries, change the Temp name to the name of the library)
    Temp.nicnt
    http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/H21Bc1IC/file.html

Compare both and you will see how easy it is to make these and make sure they are in the main library folder then you just add the library in kontakt with the add library tab

Quick Tutorial:
    <Company>Put the company Name here</Company>
    <Name>Put the library Name here</Name>
    <RegKey>Put the library Name here Too</RegKey>
    <SNPID>use one or two letters between a-f and numbers between 0-99 and never use the same letter/number combination again</SNPID>

Example:
    <Company>8Dio</Company>
    <Name>8Dio Collection</Name>
    <RegKey>8Dio Collection</RegKey>
    <SNPID>f01</SNPID>

Hope this helps..Cheers

13. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

If I download any libraries that have ncint files already, if i delete them and create my own using the above, will it make any difference/harm to anything?

14. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

There is no need to delete the original .nicnt if there are no conflicts with other libraries.

Anyway, You can do it if You feel the need to have them categorized by a certain pattern or numerical order.

There will be no difference in performance or look...

15. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Ok, got everything set to go and read the relevant guides etc.

WHat is the best way to approach it? I have installed Komplete Ultimate and then updated to the latest Kontakt 5.5, so have the NI libraries in there already. I have some libraries that are "addable" without nicnt (such as SYmphobia, i believe) and majority of which cannot. My approach is going to be:

1. Delete ALL nicnt files from all libraries
    2. Add the libraries one by one using "add library" until i have all the ones that will natively add in be included (to ensure no conflicts when i create nicnt files)
    3. Then go through libraries one by one creating nicnt files for them as per the above linked guides and adding them using the "add library" button

Does that seem like a sensible approach to ensure a clean, reliable and working install of all my libraries?

16. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Thanks again for these instructions!

Is there any set number of character and number (or range) for the SNIPD? I know you say in one of you links between a and f and number between 0 and 99. Is there a certain formation they have to be?

For example, if i used:

aa00
    aa01
    aa02
    aa03...
    ...aa99

ab00
    ab01
    ab02
    ab03...
    ...ab99

ac00
    ac01
    ac02
    ac03...
    ...ac99

and so on, would that work? Just tried to work it all out so i can organise and catalogue the numbers i am using to ensure none are replicated.

Cheers again!