OS/X: Cubase test!

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Techgrampa, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Techgrampa

Techgrampa Newbie

I installed Cubase 11 pro trial version and loaded one of the songs I was sent fom my cousin. Having a a collection of VST3 plugins from Logic installs, I setup a rack of synths and assigned them to the arrangement. It was going well, I had a balance I felt, enabled me to add some harmony lines.

While cycling a setion, I created a instrument track and added another synth to the rack. As Cubase launched the synth, the levels of the composition went up and down, the output volume changed tone (as in: top and bottom balance.) No plugins on any channel, no sends, etc.

I thought it curious and tried the same exercise a number of times over the last four hours. Something is definately happening, and it's not encouraging.

I have not used Cubase since vesion 6.5 and even then not a lot. So, I tried changing DAC: switched from Focusrite to a Mackie and a borrowed Prism. In all instances the anomoly persist. I am unsure how much I can bug Steinberg as I am only evaluating this copy of Cubase 11, over the 30 day trial.

The question therefore is: am I alone in and/or; are there known issues with the OS/X implementation of the app?

3. dondada

dondada Rock Star

just talk to the Steinberg Guys, to get the best answer.
    They know their stuff and are generally helpful.

4. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Fun fact: Logic doesn't support nor uses VST2 or VST3 Plugins, so I don't know what you ar referring to when you said "Having a a collection of VST3 plugins from Logic installs"…

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Some AU plugins actually just "refer" to the VST in Logic. If you delete the VST the AU will not work. Similar to using BlueCat Audio Patchwork.

but to OP: There are far too many Mac users of Cubase to begin to think what you are describing is "normal". It's your machine (with no specs provided), the demo you have installed, or any other myriad of possible variables. You or anyone else investing "tech support" level thought about a demo copy is useless.

it will generally perform like logic. it always has. m1/native vs rosetta etc issues aside.
    if all you will get from a $300+ dollar investment is some miniscule performance improvement,
    you will be wasting your money. for me it would be a 300$ refresher course on why I prefer Logic.
    the difference is the workflow. :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

No such thing. You made it up.
    We are on macOS x.x.x now.
    OSX on the other hand ran until 2016 I believe.
    Hmmm. Standalone versions need the .vst to be present.
    Not yet encountered what you said.
    Please could you give me some examples?
    Would be useful, as now I'm wondering if I'm missing a plugin that I put down to some other error!
    :yes: :wink:

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

the only ones I have seen done like that have been third party plugins, and the releaser has specifically noted it in their nfo file. (Flare, maybe?)
    they 'k the vst formats but there is no Component for them to include in their installer; but the release still works in Logic. intended more as just another "fun fact".

8. Techgrampa

Techgrampa Newbie

When plugins are installed, AU and VST versions are created, principally for the other apps I occcasionally use that are VST clients.

9. Techgrampa

Techgrampa Newbie

Actually running: Catalina.

Today I inserted a VU meter with hold enabled. Looping an eight bar chorus I created an instrument track and assignrf the midi out to the Kontakt instance in the rack. Tis works as advertised. The not so great viola harmony could do with another voice, me think and chorus looping: new track; insert new synth into rack; volume drops. Repeating this results in a pretty uniform 4-5 Db reduction.

I am starting another song and setting the main sound sourcess in the rack before I do anythink else.

Maybe I just need more time with this DAW. I had been away a long time and it's no longer fameliar.

10. Techgrampa

Techgrampa Newbie

I just received feedback from the Tech guys and it's simply the number of cores I have assigned Kontakt. as I type the advise is been implemented...........

I no longer have a problem.

11. Techgrampa

Techgrampa Newbie

I thank you all, but I can report Steinberg's tech person advised removing the fixed number of cores assigned to Kontakt and having done so, no repeat if anomily I initially sought help with. Thanks again.

12. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Well the entire Arturia suite is the first one that comes to mind. You can delete the actual VST versions and still be safe though. Take a look inside the component, and there's a nice copy of the VST in the resources folder. Remove it and watch it not work anymore (there are also copies of the VSTs in the /Library/Arturia folder too in case you DO delete it). There are plenty of plugins that use this wrapper method.

13. dondada

dondada Rock Star

told ja:wink:

14. Smoove Grooves

Okay.
    So: macOS Catalina (version 10.15)
    Which is now on 10.15.7
    macOS. Not "OS/X" or OSX.
    Finished in 2016.
    Yes, I was well aware of that one being a keys player. I should have said I was aware of that one.
    The devs imply it in the installer, becuase the .vst and .vst3 are not choosable, so it's obvious.
    But if you read my comment you posted, you will see I already implied I knew it with standalones already...
    So, you are just echoing my words.
    This was what I questioned:
    You can answer me on that one if you like.

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

arent we soon MacOS 11?

16. Smoove Grooves

No; already!
    Big Sur is 11.
    And people call it OSX 11!
    macOS 12 Monterey is here.