original old school hip hop mix help

Discussion in 'Music' started by ca5plays, Jul 31, 2017.

1. ca5plays

ca5plays Member

hello could any one help me find , original hip hop mixes that were on cassettes or cds from the 90s from offical original djs , i know there are thousands of mixes on youtube but im looking for some mixes that might have been sold in your local record shop or cd shop , that where on cassette or cds , real east coast 90s era hip hop mixes

3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Sorry nope. I can only help with 80's hip hop. But, just in case there is this:-

4. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Great songs wrong title. That is not a hip hop mix by any stretch of the immagination. Those songs took me back to the Bronx and uptown Manhattan during the 80's. Tommy Boy Records (Tony Silverman), Cutting Records (Aldito and Amado Marin from their record store on Dyckman) the great Afika Bambaataa and Zulu Nation, Arthur Baker and John Robie, Al Pizarro and the VIP Record Pool on Fordham Rd...so many memories brought back with those songs. unfortunately, even thought the artists and producers were neighbors and friends, and I liked the songs, I could not play them at the clubs in which I was DJeing at the time.

5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Why not? Because Hip Hop was frowned upon among mainstream clubs, and just wasn't accepted?

6. TonyG

TonyG Guest

You are right as to Hip Hop not being accepted in mainstream clubs. We must remember that during the early 80's Disco had faded out but we had the Italo-Disco, Freestyle and DOR ("Dance Oriented Rock") genres ruling the biggest dance clubs in NYC. Clubgoers that were into those genres of dance music generally disliked "rap". If you wanted to go to a club in which the DJ played hip hop you had to travel to the Bronx. I was playing in so called "hi nrg" clubs in Manhattan that gathered mainly to a gay clientele who loved the likes of Lime, Patrick Cowley, Sylvester, Carol Jiani, Viola Wills, etc. Not the type of crowd that would have embraced Run DMC, Public Enemy, LL Cool J and so on.