organize libraries on kontakt?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by miguel88, Jun 6, 2017.

1. miguel88

miguel88 Member

do you know some efficient way to organice libraries on kontakt i have too much these days, on the adding libraries you cant make folder for organising by instruments , how you guys do?

3. thecow

thecow Guest

Yes! Instead of adding custom libraries and wallpapers, I rather use the quickload function now, it's made for that purpose...
    It's a bit of a pain to setup when you already have a lot of libraries, but finally Kontakt will load faster and you can organize your libraries and instruments as you want.

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

probably go through the list and delete a few you dont need?
    the most important criteria is quality.

i never had to much kontakt libraries, i cant give a quality advise.

5. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

100% agree with Artic. You admit you have too many libraries. The best solution is to delete everything that isn't helping you to express the ideas in your head. Keep only what you one day plan to purchase. Those are the libraries worth owning. It's hard to value things when you get them all for free.

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

on a side note, to many tools, confuse you, block your ideas. ... and you get maybe an intention, to install things, organize things instead of just reducing the amount of tools you have. (in fact you become a slave of all the tools you have, waste time!)

my best example is maybe rusko:

(i dont like(d) his music, but i think his studio made it clear, that you dont need all the tools)

i would pick up max 20 kontakt libraries and make dependent on your genre and the other stuff can sit packed up on a backup drive.
    the same i would do for other tools.
    thats how i would organize it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Does anyone know how to transfer QuickLoad libraries from one system to another (OSX)? Never been able to figure that out...

8. diofan

diofan Newbie

Try this Kontakt Lib Organizer. It puts them in abc order. Also run it as admin or it won't save the settings.

The user license states - This utility is free to use for commercial or non-commercial use, but is copyrighted and cannot be distributed without permission.

9. thecow

thecow Guest

It's funny how some reply to the questions on that forum...delete your libraries lol
    Check Tom Holkenborg from junkie xl how many banks he uses and how he manages them (he has a very informative youtube channel), imho this is a better reference in term of production and music than that bedroom producer I didn't know (sorry). Personnaly I like to have different colours and tools, I think you just need to know your tool(s), and be organized, like most professionals. Of course you don't need to use a lot by track, that's pretty obvious...But if you want to make different things/style or have a variety between your tracks, you need different tools.

Again...Quickload is the way to go if you want to organize everything by instruments/folders, it was made for that. No need to waste time creating custom wallpapers and nicnt and organizing/moving them around (+ without those your kontakt will load much faster). Even moving with kontakt lib organizer is soooo long, I'd rather use the registry to move a bank to a different place. Organizing by alphabetic order is not a very clever solution either.

on Mac:
    User/Library/application support/Native Instruments/kontakt 5/quickload :)

10. LALALA

LALALA Kapellmeister

Use mind-manager http://www.mindjet.com or something similar. U can make structure and tags. And when u on work, u can just d&d instruments to Kontakt from MM browser. It's the most speedy way which I found. :cool:

How I'm doing this: main topic (just "libs") - sub 1 (manufacturer) - sub 2 (name of lib and I adding folder to this topic) - sub 3/4/5...(subfolders of libs (instruments etc.) and on this stage I've adding folders too). For organizing by types I'm using tags (brass, hybrid etc., u can create groups of tags, which are very handy too).

Hope it'll help.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  11. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

One would think, but unfortunately when I have migrated that folder to another system, it doesn't work... and I have no idea why. Have you had it work for you? thanks for the response... ;)

12. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

seems its a common failing of quick load with more google searches. unless you rename another drive the same/keep same file structure etc... no way to easily migrate from one system or drive on osx. can be done on windows but requires some scripting.. pita. NI should have thought this through more, or fix it... (because essentially it's just making alias's, and if they don't exist in same place, they disappear from the ql menu etc...)... I have gone from 2tb drives, to consolidating drives to 8tb drives etc... it's nonsense.

13. thecow

thecow Guest

No sorry I can't help as I use Windows...Isn't possible to do the same folder structure on system "A" before copying to "B" ?
    Also I think there must be programs to fix wrong aliases/shortcuts on mac, me on windows I use "Shortcuts Search And Replace"
    http://jacquelin.potier.free.fr/ShortcutsSearchAndReplace/ , usefull sometimes sadly this one's only for pc...

14. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

sadly, not that I know of. real pita.

15. mail22

mail22 Ultrasonic

I added all libraries that I like through "Add library" button. Then I created a main folder named "Kontakt libraries" and folders inside like "Drums" "Guitars" "Synth" etc and placed all libs in that folders.
    Then I created a separate .nicnt and wallpapers for that folders "Drums" "Guitars" "Synth" etc . Profit! Now, as I'm testing a new drum library, first I simply "add" it, and if I like it, I remove it and place into "Drums" folder, it appears in Kontakt inside "Drums" tab. Sorry for my english.