Orchestral Tools Berlin Strings versus Spitfire and such

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef, Jun 9, 2014.

1. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef Producer

Like the title says. Those who know best speak your thoughts.

I have the Spitfire series (BML, Sable series, Albion series) and Native Instruments Session String Pro.

How does Orchestral Tools Berlin Strings compare to those? I HARDLY use strings, but if i were i want a 'go-to' library. Session strings i disliked. It sounded really faux and flat and lifeless to me. No ATMOSPHERE or heart to it. I LOVE the albion series lush sound, and havent used Sable too much. BML has been messed with but no formal opinion either.

How does Orchestral Tools Berlin Strings stack up in sound and playability?

3. music2013

music2013 Ultrasonic

I have tested the products of spitfire, but really expected me something much better, quality very bad, the cellos do not sound real, the string less.

4. faunus

faunus Ultrasonic

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esSR5NBlyhk[/media]
    He doesnt compare spitfire though...

5. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Always Spitfire for me, BST at current version just don't compare, sadly. *no*

6. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

For me, I need strings to blend them in a mix (like 'heal the world' from Michael Jackson for example).
    So the sound of the sustains, eventually legatos, and the GUI are paramount for this purpose.

I think BST are extremely good at this.
    Cinematic Strings 2 is the best sound I came across but only for sustains (not legatos).
    I did not like Spitfire Mural after 2 days of testing (GUI difficult to manage + mostly grinding sound, like vintage strings records, not pop).

7. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Mural isn't really designed for pop production. Try Session Strings Pro or Kirk Hunter Pop/Rock Strings :wink:

8. beaucarty

beaucarty Newbie

Hi,
    My opinion is, that I never find out a good strings Library for all kind of music.
    I use sometimes Cinematic Strings, sometimes LASS, Hollywood strings, sometimes in addition Symphobia, Spitfire is ok but not my favorite,
    And the better sound I got every time resulte of a mix between these Libraries, depending of the style of the arrangement and the color expected.
    It takes a lot of time, but finaly you can hear the best of each.
    Cheers AudioZ addict :wink:

9. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

You know Andrew has written reviews on these products. Check them out and decide for yourself. :wink: