Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Tom Watson, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Tom Watson

Tom Watson Newbie

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

How did you get this gig if you have no decent libraries? Serious question.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

It all depend how you use it.
    If you use ready made phrases it may be recognized. But if you use to play your own written phrases, then it will depend of how you mix it. Some libraries have such a particular sound they are easy to recognize, other are more neutral and once equalized and mixed with other instruments they will not be so easy to recognize

5. Tom Watson

Tom Watson Newbie

I had to make sound design cue first for them. I could make every single sound myself, but I have to go for orchestral now.

6. Tom Watson

Tom Watson Newbie

I'd use only legato and spiccato articulations. Others are not needed. Mines sound so similar to other libraries so there probably won't be any problem.

7. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

If I had enough talent and knowledge to write orchestral music and if I was in your shoes I wouldn't hesitate to do what you mentioned.

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Even if they recognize the library, so, what? You don't have to show them your licence or could even have used someone else's PC for that.

9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Technically, that'd be true :wink:
    But don't mention someone else's lib published in AZ...
    people are so unreasonable these days...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Tom Watson

Tom Watson Newbie

I'm just a bit worried, because the library developers would probably know that I used their samples.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  11. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

But if you buy these libs immediately after receiving your paycheck as you wrote then what could be the problem?

12. Tom Watson

Tom Watson Newbie

I will get paid when any of my tracks will be licensed. Film studios usually ask the supervisor to send them some music and they usually pay months later when the whole trailer is ready to be released. So if I release my track now they will pay probably in summer. I will have to wait about 6 months to get enough money to buy these samples.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. noize2sound

noize2sound Kapellmeister

14. virtualsound100

virtualsound100 Member

The company should not care if you use unlicensed material, because you are solely responsible for it, it does not concern the company, which license you own or at all, the production company will be your stems will work for mixing and mastering and not the raw material, samples and midi data.

15. virtualsound100

virtualsound100 Member

Can you tell me which ones libraries ( orchestral ) neutral sound? thx.

16. virtualsound100

virtualsound100 Member

I do not believe that the producers remember certain sounds that they had sampled or created most years ago, among many thousands of sounds and samples, and even if they would recognize certain sounds, it would only be a guess that these samples were from their library since 1. after the mix much is veiled and 2. sounds sound similar to other libraries, and I do not think that the manufacturers look for who use which samples and sounds, that would cost too much time and gheld, money, they have other things to do to someone to sue - they use more likely time to create new libraries.

17. TaxiDriver

TaxiDriver Platinum Record

It depends. The Q is: will your "stems" be used in the final product?

Not so long ago Agus Gonzalez-Lancharro, a representative of reallyslowmotion (warner/chappel) wrote a "friendly reminder" on his FB page, asking composers not to use non-legit libraries. Not because he is worried about them, but because of library producers suposedly giving him a hard time (..i guess 20 composers using libs with the same watermark - it all gets a bit suspicious). As a producer of the final "product", he is responsible for the integrity of it. And he is loaded, you are not.. (that doesn't mean you can't get sued. Twice, as he's stating)

Those are pretty big titles - you can check them at reallyslowmotion.com ..those movies will surely get some attention. So to wrap it up, the producer doesn't care if you present them your work made with ccked libs. But the final product should be completed with legit ones.. otherways they can get in trouble, and then you can get in trouble.. The keyword here is CAN, of course..

18. noize2sound

noize2sound Kapellmeister

EWQLSO is one of the most versatile & natural library I have seen

19. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

If you're uncertain about possible "watermarks" encoded within the samples (which is possible and detectable depending on youre production process) you convert (=record) the stems analog and subsequently convert back to digital. That should strip them free of stamps.

[EDIT:] The above pertains to metadata, not audio-watermarking! Turn to next page for better explanation of the difference and their application.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  20. virtualsound100

virtualsound100 Member

what is, if you record the mixdown on a free audio track in the daw in real time, would the watermark then disappeared too? example: mixdown track to routing free audio track and record this in realtime.

21. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

If you ask the vendor, no.
    If you ask me, it would be totally ok. It's just a matter of some days and you would pay them. Way before someone could identify the instruments in your work, you would have payed already. What the vendor loses is the interest for the days between usage of the libs and your payment. In this low interest time it's only a penny or two. I would do it.

P.S.: There's a saying here: one who asks many questions will receive many answers. :yes:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018