Orchestral Instruments library recommendation for beginner?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Brigwen, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Brigwen

Brigwen Noisemaker

Hi guys, a beginner here.

I am interested for creating orchestral music but have a problem for the instrument library. I tried soundfont, it's nice but doesn't gave me control for adsr and other stuff. Sample library for Kontakt are great, but expensive and take a lot of space. Perhaps a VST dedicated for instruments? Or anything else?

What would you recommend to a beginners for their starting instrument library? VST, Soundfont, Sample, or any other thing?

Have a nice day guys.

3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Hi Brigwen

Sonivox has a serie based on their old Kontakt libraries called Orchestral Companion. It´s vsti´s and cover a full orchestra. I have tried the strings and find it bit limited but it could be something to start with.

4. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Maybe Miroslav PhilHarmonic 2, It seems like a good starting point for me. I have tried 2 yet so don't how it sounds. But it covers a full orchestra without being terribly large. Check it out.

5. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. spyfx

spyfx Guest

hi my friend :bow:
    +1 for the Miroslav Philharmonik, i use it all the time in my orchestral/filmscore works & has a unique sound imho :wink: a respected & beloved artist Bonobo uses it in his records...
    also i would recommend HALion Symphonic Orchestra by Steinberg,i've used it in the past & i love it.
    Then you have many options with kontakt
    Hope this info helps you :wink:

7. Brigwen

Brigwen Noisemaker

Hi there too. Just checked, they also have so many great selection there. Definitely going to save some for those.

There's a CE version with 10 GB version. But the price is still killing me (I'm a student btw). But Philharmonik 1 is a good choice for me I think. Do they still selling the first one? I could not find any price tag there.

A FREE ONE! Obviously going to try this first. Thanks a lot!

8. Brigwen

Brigwen Noisemaker

The first Philharmonik, where do I get that? I am not seeing any price in their website for Philharmonik 1. Do they stop selling it?

9. spyfx

spyfx Guest

you can get IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE for $99 right now here in the U.S if not the full version...i don't know in your country ?
    If by any chance you are using Reason there are some Miroslav refills too...
    :wink:
    The first Philharmonik, where do I get that?,u can find it... :winker:

10. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

In the end you will probably want Kontakt, if you are interested in quality sampled instrument, because so many developers release sample banks for it - it also comes with a selection of instruments - VSL and Chris Hein, and others.

For free:

This one is a cut down version of a commercial library. Probably better than Miroslav 1 and many of the factory library Kontakt patches

http://vis.versilstudios.net/vsco-community.html

There is also Sonatina orchestra, but I don't think it's very good.

11. Recoil

Recoil Guest

12. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Hi @Brigwen. I'm beginner too. I like Canon in D major and learn to write one. What's your favorite orchestral piece @Brigwen?

As of your question, if you like, EastWest Sounds have some good variety of products for orchestration too. You can subcribe per monthly basis and use all of them. I think for $30/mth, its worth it (if you work for music and make sell). If not, all recommendation here is good too.

Here is the link to their site: http://www.soundsonline.com/composercloud

Best wishes there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Brigwen

Brigwen Noisemaker

Two Steps from Hell- Victory
    also Two Steps from Hell - Star Sky

For now I just seek for free one, I'm still learning.

14. MichaelPatterson

MichaelPatterson Kapellmeister

15. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

This old guy brings back memories :)

I think Kontakt with its plain native library is sufficient to start with. It covers a wide range of instruments.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. shomyca

shomyca Producer

+1 for ew composer cloud