Orchestral/Epic Track - looking for feedback!

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by MrLyannMusic, Nov 3, 2015.

?

Do you like it ?

1. Yes

42.9%
  2. No

14.3%
  3. Needs more work

57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Hey People hope you well,

Well today i'm asking for some feedback suggestions about my last Orchestral track...

https://soundcloud.com/sergentcaesar/darkness/s-ADPAF

*DOWNLOAD IS ON, so download it then hear it, to avoid soundcloud shitty sounds.

i would love you to rate it, /20

and i'm looking for feedbacks for :

- The Idea
    - Elements used
    - Build-up
    - Quality
    - Mixing
    - Mastering

and if is there a possible to add something.

Thank you & have a nice day,

MLM

3. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

The build up (around 1:10 to 1:24) is a bit weak. In my opinion you should revise the melodic line there and add more tension to the rhythm. That drum fill doesn't work well as glue between parts.

Maybe you could move the bass notes instead of having the root all the time, that would really help things get more dramatic and less stiff.

Just my cents. :wink:

4. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Thank you, noted i'll work more on that...

didn't get that part "Maybe you could move the bass notes instead of having the root all the time, that would really help things get more dramatic and less stiff."

5. remyboy20

remyboy20 Member

Mix sound pretty good. Drums could have some more interesting parts instead of the constant pattern. Bass note could change up every now and then. Tonic can get boring sometimes. Nice choice of sounds it really made a good blend. I expect more awesomeness from you my friend!

6. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Instead of having the root all the time, you could aim to the 3rd and 5th to keep things "rooty" but more interesting (specially on that second part where you're supposed to "go somewhere"). Try walking to those notes instead of leaping (root -> 2nd -> 3rd, root -> 7th -> 6th -> 5th, etc etc etc), use some syncopation maybe...

7. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

Yes, you need some syncopation as kouros said and I think you need powerful impact sounds for the second part.

8. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Okey 'ill be working on that soon!

Thanks!!

9. flstudioer

flstudioer Kapellmeister

For my part, the intro & outro are OK, you just need to variate the SFX (you used Rise & Hits, there's another good sfx in this bank try other things) it's too repetitive, with the same sound, same ADSR it's a little bit desaagreable to hear
    The Shavanai is OK, maybe you can support it with some choral (not much) & use some staccato at the beginning of measure to make an impact and make it more hardcore (cuz the sound is hardcore in his nature)

10. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Nice music, 7/10. You have the vision. Some suggestions, add big brass sound at 0:30. Maybe have some brass rips/slides later on when the drums come in. Add Metal style guitars.

11. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

i'll take both of these ideas in note, i'll reopen the project once the idea is clear.

about the metal guitars style, i would love to, but i can't see where those can fit ? maybe i'll make a part special for them ? dunno as i told the idea is not yet clear...

i'll be focusing more on the build up, and reinforcing the Main lead vocal, maybe make it longer ? we will see

thanks all of you for your feedbacks, if someone have something to offer, post it here or mp me.

12. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

sounds kickass dude ! what choir-strings-drums you used please..

13. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

You may want to listen on proper monitors, the phase correlation is out which hinders a nice track, this is typical of most sample library's may they be Wav or Vst etc.

Sorry i couldn't go in to more detail, I'm just leaving to go away.

Cheers and thanks for the listen

14. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Awesome work man!
    This is truly darkness... just keep going.
    Other is just mixing and maybe add that and maybe add that...

15. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

* Choirs :
    1 - Kontakt Factory Library > Choir > Choir > Choir [a].nki
    2 - Female Solo lead : Shevannai > The Voice > Shevannai Legato.nki

* Strings :
    1 - Action Strings From Native Instruments
    2 - Cinematic Strings 2 > Full Ensemble > Staccato

* Drums :
    1 - Superior Drummer > Metal Machine >Default (Full kit)
    2 - Action Strikes From Native Instruments

had to re-open the project for you man, and guess what it sounds so shitty in mix, big difference between working on headphones and monitors, but when inspiration hits you at 4pm, you can't do a thing about it. :rofl:

totally didn't get what you wanted to say, please explain more ?

"Sorry i couldn't go in to more detail, I'm just leaving to go away."

what do you mean anyway ? :dunno:

Thank you so much man, very appreciated!

16. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

More words to composer:
    I would never ask community about how my song is composed, and I will explain why.
    Look, when you composing song, that is just yours imagination... Basically, it's important that you have basic music theory about harmony, orchestration, etc... (with this type of music)
    If you ask me "is this composed well?" I can answer you - put brasses or violins there or there (maybe), if you ask someone else you will get some different answer because each of us has own imagination :) or something like that.
    You should be (as you are) concerned about mixing, final touches etc... that is knowledge... and that is it what we must learn.
    At the end, I can love your work or not... that is my will, not your. Honestly I love some shitty music just because of sound, and how is mixed etc... (idea of song is on last place), because I'm enjoying in great sound.
    Imagine this, Hans Zimmer or any other author ask community about his work :) (I found on VI control forum some posts about why he put that synth sound and not other etc... It's ridiculous anyway)
    If you put your work on youtube, soundcloud and got many votes, likes, that will be result of your work.
    So, keep going and don't worry about some bad comments etc...

17. z3r0

z3r0 Ultrasonic

Dont listen to those on here that are trying to change the music of your track. your track achieves exactly what it sets out to do, great atmosphere, great track and indeed epic.
    I feel the only thing wrong here is everything is fighting for a place in the eq spectrum and there is a serious lack of depth and space in your mix. Panning alone wont sort it out man. Look up mid side equing tuts on youtube and aim for a nice not too wide mix prior to mastering. Use an analyser on your individual instruments to see their eq space and trace down any clashes. When sorting the eq out it is usually better to cut than boost with digital/soft eq' unless you have a nice £3000 analog one :) Remember there are no hard and fast rules. Just use your ears. Choice of reverbs is crucial as is using delay in a clever way to widen certain elements. Picture yourself in the front and center seat listening to the orchestra. You might also want to try Magic AB which allows you to load a favourite piece similar to yours and A-B your track with it from within your DAW. Dont forget to match the level of your chosen track to your own composition pre master. Also put an analyser on the same track as Magic AB to see where your favourite piece sits in the eq spectrum. I also feel that it has been over mastered and sounds a tad pushed but I bet when you get the mix depth just right and everything in its own spacial place you won't have to master it so hard. Good luck and again great piece m8. Keep it up as you have a flair for it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Deep words nikon, i really appreciate them, true, because when we make music, we have that image, that we tries to put on music you know ? sometimes it may appear different to others, and sometimes no, anyway the point of asking for feedbacks, because i really care about other musicians feedbacks, for ex, you may give me an idea that was way out of my mind, or help me improve my work, even mixing and mastering that feedback you give me, help me improve, but at the end call is mine, and mine only.

thank you again for your comment!

yeah i agree, all that time, was listening either my headphones, or my laptop, hadn't the chance to hear them on my monitors, as i usually work at night, and that maybe a problem because of the sound, today heard it using my monitors, and i can tell you right away, i knew what kind of mistakes i made mixing the track, started fixing it, but i'll deal with it later.

about the mastering, i know you're right because that was my attention, i know that this kind of music should not be overmastered, or oever compressed, as we may lose the sounds we were looking for, i'll take care of after i finish working with the track

Thank you (you too) for your comment, very much appreciated!

Hope all of are still interested in next version!

much love! have a nice day! :yes::yes::yes: