Optimize OSX Performance for Audio

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by copylefter, May 8, 2014.

1. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Nice move Andrew, if you have Gigabyte mobo + intel haswell cpu it should be child's play.
    Today should be very easy to install an hackintosh if you're keen at computing :bleh:
    You are, so why not try, just need to have a few hours to throw in the process...
    :mates:

2. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

Laptops:
    HP 8470p with i7-quad Ivy
    HP 2530p with i5-duo Ivy (upgrade to i7-quad planned in Q3 2015)

I've seen YT videos of both running OSX flawlessly, only wi-fi drivers are non-existent, which is OK, since I do not use wi-fi at all.
    Desktop is i7 Haswell 4770K with MSI mobo, but I intend to keep OSX only on laptops.
    :wink:

3. lordauricle

lordauricle Member

might be a dumb question but can i use openshh cracks in a hackintosh?

4. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

Don't know exactly but i imagine it could work....
    But I'd be very careful with messing with System files, very risky!
    Openshh are not real cracks, i would say, they're partial cracks based on weak points in iLok1 protections.

5. rflip

rflip Noisemaker

New to OSX optimisation i will have to try this

6. xsze

xsze Guest

Disable Mission Control and Space:

Open Terminal and enter the following command
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dock mcx-expose-disabled -bool TRUE

Restart Dock the make changes affect:
    Code:
    killall Dock

Disable Notification Center Completely & Remove the Menu bar Icon

Open Terminal and enter the following command
    Code:
    launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist
    Next type the following command to kill NotificationCenter:
    Code:
    killall NotificationCenter

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

would you not recommend this guide for yosemite?

8. xsze

xsze Guest

Try it, I missed whole Yosemite thing and I guess everything stayed the same as on Mavericks, for which all this applies :wink:

9. Slider

Slider Producer

Thanks copylefter, very nice job laying it out. I don't use a Mac but appreciate your effort! :wink:

10. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Thanks very much! I have used most of these tricks since OSX 10.6; I continue to do so on 10.10. One thing I have found, however, is that some of the Terminal code commands to control or turn off some functions in 10.10 (if not also 10.9) are different from those used in 10.6–10.8. (The command for RAM "dump," for example, is deprecated in 10.10). It's up to users to research this – I'm just pointing out that there are some differences. The Preferences tricks you point out, though, are the same.

You're right – Onyx is really useful; sort of a free cousin to MacPilot. Switching to 2-D graphical elements (such as the Dock) and defeating GUI transparency help, too. For RAM control, there is also Memory Monitor (free from the App Store), which has an Optimize function that frees-up RAM very well.

Setting Kontakt's core usage to "automatic" (to be set by the DAW) does help, though not using effects (reverb, compression, saturation, et al.) in Kontakt nor those supplied with the library (in its GUI), when possible, also spares considerable system resources. Kontakt's Memory Server is good to use, too. Using a lightweight third-party EQ instead of Logic Pro X's Channel EQ (and likewise for all DAW-native CPU-hogging plug-ins) has really helped me.

On the OS tip, I loved Snow Leopard for being efficient and light. I hated having to upgrade to slow, bloated Mountain Lion in order to use Logic Pro X. I am appreciating Yosemite: it's sort of back to Snow Leopard in regard to speed and efficiency, though I don't know from benchmarks, just from using. It has some graphical bugs, but nothing compared to Mountain Lion's slugs. No TRIM enabling, no partition resizing, and no more "dump" command – but batch-renaming, black toolbar/menu, and surprising compatibility with most of the applications I had used since Snow Leopard.

Comparing Mac to Windows is like apples-to-oranges, Democrat-to-Republican, or Coke-to-Pepsi: whichever ya rock with better, y'know?

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Nice to know that the transitions has not been bad for you stevitch, I am nowhere near thinking of going to yosemite... but glad to see when I eventually do, it may not be as painful as I fear...

I haven't found ML to be that bad vs. SL, which I did not want to leave, but had to for different reasons.... I would have stayed on SL forever if I could... (no need for notifications for me! :))

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

Don't forget to download the 10.10.5 install program from the Apple Store before September 30th, because it will not be available afterwards. (even if you upgrade in several months or even years)

13. babybrown

babybrown Ultrasonic

Bangin' job on this article Copylefter. This is compulsory reading material for me right now as I am new to OSX. Thanks as well for the links to FREE utilities and stuff, this is so great and I hope everyone leaves feedback on this thread as to how all this stuff improves their workflow. Cheers

14. xsze

xsze Guest

It just makes OS X snappier, I left few more tweaks, look at comment #46 on this page :like:

15. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

16. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

couldn't agree more Snow 10.6.8 is most versatile ,stable OS X going today ! What a shame its been buried by a lot of folks
    also Copy you recommend using Clean my mac 3 for a lot of these settings? Great Article anyways

17. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Stupid question: Is this guide working also for Yosemite 10.10.0??

18. xsze

xsze Guest

Try and let us know, it should really :mates:

19. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

You tried it?

20. xsze

xsze Guest

No, if I did I would tell you straight away, it should work if nothing drastic changed, really don't know, all that worked on Mavericks, which is the last OS X I used :yes: