Optimize OSX Performance for Audio

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by copylefter, May 8, 2014.

1. m0zart

m0zart Newbie

Thanks for the information and for taking the time to included the level of detail.

On the section regarding disabling Spotlight, it reads as if the option is inside the Security & Privacy pane vs. the Spotlight icon within system preferences.

Disable Spotlight: Security & Privacy pane -> Privacy -> drag MacintoshHDD and external drives in the window.
    No need to change search results as we are preventing Spotlight to search at all.

[​IMG]

It was a bit confusing for me but the awesome screenshots you included helped clarify the options to be changed.

I noticed Diablotin is 10 days shy from being 8 years old. Any known issues with running this software on 10.8.x?

Thanks again for the great post!

2. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Thanks for the find mate, fixed :wink:
    Diablotin is ancient indeed, but it still works ok, 10.8.5 here too :thumbsup:

3. m0zart

m0zart Newbie

Glad to help!

Cool, I'll grab Diablotin.

You mentioned learning to use Little Snitch.
    Are there best practices for this program? I did a search on the forum but no luck. I use it in what I consider a standard way but didn't know if there were better methods when working with audio/MIDI.

Is there an advantage to creating a separate account on the Mac for audio/MIDI work? One that already has everything disabled, etc? On my Windows machines I have two installs, Internet and Audio. Just trying to learn from the experts on here :)

4. Rolma

Rolma Guest

MAMA MIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To be taken into account :mates:

By the way I feel supersexy with my new status!

5. copylefter

copylefter Producer

No, it was just a way to say "if you didn't know of littlesnitch, go and get it" :thumbsup:
    Nothing special to do (except maybe switch off Network Monitor, that can waste resources, what we need is just the filter).

Well, the best thing is to have a system just for audio, optimized as explained, I have a dual boot with two different ML partitions,
    one for browsing, graphic works and various stuff, and another dedicated to audio w/o internet connection (so no need for LS at all).

I don't think using different accounts can bring advantages, as the stuff installed on the system is the same. But it can be a solution.

Have fun ! :mates:

Thanks Rolma!
    Congrats for the new milestone ! other 700 of these post :mates:

6. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Congrats Rolma, you're sexing it up all over the place.[​IMG]

7. Rolma

Rolma Guest

:mates:
    I really hope the time being more generous with me !

8. m0zart

m0zart Newbie

Thanks for the extra details! I'll do the dual boot!

9. iramaj

iramaj Member

So why exactly would I want to disable spotlight on for example my drive where my sample library is at? Wouldn't that disable indexing those? I often use finder to search for specific samples so disabling spotlight for this drive would be counterproductive or am I wrong here?

greetings

10. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Yes *yes*
    I'm installing right now Mavericks for some testing,
    and a thing came to my mind, in Mavericks should be good
    to disable App Nap on the audio applications (if enabled).
    To do so cmd+i or right click->show info, then disable "enable App Nap" check.
    :thumbsup:

11. iramaj

iramaj Member

Thanks for the reminder! Had totally forgotten this!

Is there any DAW that actually supports App Nap? I mean if you are producing but then need to search something on the web it would be pretty cool if your daw gets in sleep mode and wakes up when you come back....

12. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Sincerely I don't know if any DAW supports it.
    I'm finishing Mavericks installation right now, never used it for audio

13. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

finally bought mbp today !!! anyways... i cant find any Software Updater in System Prefs... is it cuz i havent loadrd anyhng on here yet?... Also, Mac HDD... where is that? i dont see it anywher?

Oh yeah... something else... you say to disable bluetooth... but how do i use magicmouse then?

14. RAIN_MAN

RAIN_MAN Newbie

Crazy good tips. I gotta go try a few of them. I have a 8core old mac and any advise on keeping it running smooth is great!

15. Ricren

Ricren Newbie

HI,

Very nice guide. Thanks.
    I'm using Maveriks 10.9.4 and let me tell you that for me is the best MacOS ever. (My first mac was a Mac Plus so I was thru a lot of versions). Very stable. Excelent compatibility with software, old and new. Recommend it.

let me add this tip to the thread If I may (I maintain the 4 macs in the studio): Sometimes when installing a new OS and you just transfer your User to the new install with migration assistant, sometimes you can end up with lots of ACL errors.(you notice this when you perform a repair permissions operation) . That error is not severe but adds time to the operation. There's a little utility called ACLr8 that cleans this problem away with just one click.

regards
    Ric

16. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

great tip, this acl are annoying

17. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

Wonderful advice! Very thorough and straightforward. Thanks for this article. I'm beginning to like it here, more & more.

18. Ultram

Ultram Kapellmeister

brilliant guide thanks however i use the 4 finger gesture to show my desktop and i can't seem to be able to reactivate it

19. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

Thanks copylefter,
    even though I'm exclusive PC user, all my hardware is 100% Hackintosh compatible, and I'm really tempted to test OSX and perhaps to crack the mystery why 95% of the audio industry uses Macs :rofl:

20. Ultram

Ultram Kapellmeister

sorted turned mission control back on in onyx