Oppenheimer by Chris Nolan and Ludwig's Göransson Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SAiNT, Jul 22, 2023.

1. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

I feel absolutely the same thing when I listen to this cue:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I'm Canadian.. My great grandfather was part of the Manhattan project in Trail BC, Canada. He was a Russian immigrant, and extreme pacifist, but in spite of that, he still played a part in trying to help further American research on the Atomic bomb (although the Americans actually built it without the component being researched there).

Anyways, what you are missing here is that we wouldn't be here today if not for the Americans building and using them (while also unfortunate and devastating), the Germans would have won that race and you can fill in the blanks there.

The one thing people can maybe be irked at the US for in WW2, perhaps, is waiting until it affected them before joining the war.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. macros mk2

macros mk2 Rock Star

watching a cam version of a movie is like listening to someones album with only the left channel of audio. you can do it, but it's far from the directors vision- which means you're going to be pretty far from being a decent judge of the movie imo. its kinda throwing away one of the most important aspects of film... which is the visuals.

dunno I recommended a Stanley Kubrick movie to a friend, they thought it was boring. they watched it on their phone, it was the shining. same thing.

also I'm pretty sure I read a quote with Nolan saying "yeah it was between a movie celebrating a bomb that killed hundreds of thousands of people or a movie celebrating a nation where it's citizens were throwing their babies before themselves off of cliffs instead of surrendering but- explosions right!?!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

you really shouldn't listen to his in 128kbps youtube quality. :dont:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Well, Opus 251 is more like 160kbps, but I get what you mean. OTOH, since the 'O Fortuna trap' I try to listen to more than just one track of an album/concert before going/buying wav.

6. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

Agreed. It's like recording a CS-80 on a dollar store mic and converting to 64kbps mp3.
    Watching it on 70mm tonight. Non-IMAX so missing details based on the aspect ratio, but should still be ~3-6x the resolution equivalent of digital screenings.

[​IMG]

7. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Yes this summer is really bad with the strike.

Yes if I was to watch a movie the whole purpose to to get a good picture and sound. Other wise it's just a waste of my time.
    I hate going to the cinema over the past few years. I Can't remember when I last went. I usually just wait until I can watch a good copy at the comfort1 of my home.
    I think most will. here in the U.S. one the news they said people are buying tickets for both movies and seeing both.
    They are calling it Barbenheimer

8. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

there are actually a few videos regarding which format you should go to on Oppenheimer :yes:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

I saw the movie yesterday at IMAX and I was very impressed. The whole story is carried by the music.

But the most impactful moment is dead silent and that makes it to a whole other level of impact.

I was not aware about the story of that man.

It was extremely impressive and I'm here still thinking about how intense and filled with info that movie was.

It was truly a gem.

10. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Got tickets for tuesday.. Not Imax, unfortunately, but I'm looking forward to seeing this!

11. synths4grins

synths4grins Producer

I saw it last week in a 70mm 1.43:1 aspect ratio IMAX theater. It is an amazing movie, probably one of Nolan's best, but not my favorite, yet. I can't wait to see it again. It's true that the music propels the movie along, together with non-stop pace of the whole thing. There is almost always music playing, roughly two and a half hours of the three hour movie. In our IMAX it sounds great, but is always too loud. It was great for The Dark Night, but for Oppenheimer with so much music, it made the music a bit overbearing. I don't know if all IMAX theaters crank it that loud, but I bet most do.

There's an interesting article in Variety on the music, with some informative facts and quotes from Ludwig Göransson.
    https://variety.com/2023/artisans/news/oppenheimer-music-composer-ludwig-goransson-score-1235674009/

12. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

At least in the German language version the sound FX and the music were so super loud in relation to the dialogue speech, climaxing when the nuclear bomb was triggered. I had to sit in the cinema with one finger in each of my earholes for the entire movie. Anyone else noticed it?

13. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

True, the movie seems to be more concerned about the fact that Oppenheimer had to appear in front of this early Cold War era anti-communist inquiry panel, than about the hundred-thousands of innocent lives lost due to his invention.

14. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I've noticed that with MANY movies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

The movie "is about" whatever it is "about".
    If you think it should be about something else, that has nothing to do with the movie.
    Those who think the movie "should be" an anti-war, or anti-bomb statement...
    What makes you the judge?
    No one is allowed to make a movie about what they want?
    It has to pass some examination of social justice striving?
    Says WHO?
    There are valid complaint and criticisms to be made of any movie regarding production, and factually accuracy if it is presented as a documentary, but there is no "should be about".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  16. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I have lost almost all the will to watch any new films lately. It's very hard to find anything entertaining and relaxing, or/and thought provoking. But then comes "Oppenheimer". Film of the year for me. Especially because I've always liked Physics, especially nuclear and in the opposite direction - Fusion... ;)

This is really worth watching in the cinema, but maan - 3 hours is killing it for me. I shall watch it at home, on streaming, when it comes out, and until then I'll enjoy Goransson's score. :wink:

Barbie? No. Just no. The only "barbie" I'm gonna watch is in my backyard. (barbecue):rofl:

17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I watched Barbie before-yesterday. Since then instead of saying "Good morning" I can't help saying "Good morning and sorry for being a man".
    Man, it's fair but tiring. Even after skipping the white-old-straight-cisgender-omnivore part..

18. ptepper

ptepper Kapellmeister

In the West the history is largely rewritten now, but if I remember well the Americans used the bomb three months after the Germans had already capitulated, mostly thanks to the enormous efforts and sacrifices of the Soviet Union. But yes, had that pesky little fact never happened, as it is nowadays widely purported in the West, it's plausible that the Germans would have won that race.

Also, the justification for dropping the bombs on Japan always sounded hollow to me, even when I was a school kid. As if a wholesale invasion of Japan was the only available option. Later I learned that the Japanese were already prepared to capitulate, that the Americans were well aware of that, and that the real reason for dropping the bombs was to project power and threaten the Soviet Union and China.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

You've some points but at the end of the day... No matter which country and which side, at the WWII the first to complete the bomb would've dropped it.

20. ptepper

ptepper Kapellmeister

Not all countries were developing nuclear weapons at the time. AFAIK, only the British/Americans (jointly) and the Germans were. The Soviets weren't.

It is probable that the Germans would have dropped it in order to avoid the defeat, but they were overrun by the Soviets before they were able to complete it.

It is probable that the Japanese would have done it for the same reason, but they didn't have it.

Given the circumstances, it is quite certain that the Americans didn't have to do it. But they did.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List