Opinions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Sylenth.Will.Fall, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I have been working on applying lots of new things I have learned in here over the past 6 months, with regards to building tracks. I'd really value expert opinions as to whether I am improving please.

Many thanks for listening to it:-

Love it, hate it, I just want honesty. It's the only way to improve..right?

3. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Super cool mix, bro'. Well-crafted.

Good, tight use of eq filters that allows each instrument its own place, great stereo panning and an overall sound that gives the impression that all of the instruments belong together on he same sonic palette.

If I were hyper-hyper-hyper fussy, I'd make two small adjustments before sending off to print. The keys (i.e pads, not Rhodes), if substituted for vocals, could come forward a little in the mix. Allow them to join the bass and kick in the foreground once in a while. When the bass drops out at 2' 56", pulling the keys forward would fill the gap.

The other change that I'd make is totally subjective. I think (and this is purely my personal opinion) that the shell toms are spread too wide. It's a good effect but a tad unrealistic. It made me wince a little when the quick roll around the toms sounded like the drummer had extra long arms. BUT that's just my opinion. I'd be totally lying to you if I said I haven't ever panned a drumkit like that. In the 70's I did just that, several times, 'cause that was the fashion back then. :)

Overall, man, I'd love to hear what you did without YouTube compression. It's bl**dy excellent IMHO.:like:

4. WolwerineBlues

WolwerineBlues Platinum Record

Nice i was looking for this song for ages :)

5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Thank you I will add a side chain to the keys to allow them to kick in when the bass drops out.

You were definitely right to point out the toms, I have to admit I got really lazy with them. I appreciate your comments and advice. Thank you ever so much.

The other day I came across a thread in here which asked people what sample rate and frequency they worked with, and most said 24/48. Well I use 32/96 and then I use dither to bring it back to 16/44.1

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  6. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I'm glad you now have it. :)

7. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Awesome. :)
    I like the way you work.

8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Thank you.

9. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Well I thought the main melody synth is lost deep in the mix - can't hear for the over-loud drumming. The result is a very relaxed hotel lift music sound.

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Noted. Thanks for your honesty.