Opinions on Live 12?

Discussion in 'Live' started by POOONANA, Mar 7, 2024.

1. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

"AL12...Modulat though is one product thats making the most of the new ability to modulate parameter values without locking them to the MaxforLive device that's controlling them!"
    :: https://isotonikstudios.com/product/modulat/

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  2. Sacculus

Sacculus Kapellmeister

I've used Cubase for a while and things like 'Transport' or 'Screenshot' or 'ShortCuts' and the 'MediaBay' is way more advanced in Cubase. I stay with Live for comodity reasons.
    What I need is more Categories or a way to use Simlink with Waves plugins because Waves plugs don't appear in individual tools but rather as a 'WaveShell' on the Windows drive. This is to make enough Categories like: Comp/Eq/Delay/Reverb/Mods/Sampler/Synths/Saturation-Distortion/Space/Time/Tools/Vox and Mastering ... etc for vst.

I mean Symlink just let you select the entire Wave Shell instead of individuals vst.

Live Browser really sucks! Some VST are missing even in my Creator tag

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
  3. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

not in mine.... what os and system are you running?

4. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Persoanlly i think the changes made to live 12 are excellent

Roar btw has a million and 1 functions in terms of sound design scope

Ok i embellishd the numbers there a little but ;yeah theres certainly some truly great additions in native plugins and overall daw capabilities

Id argue you should perhaps dive in sooner rather than later my friend

And yes initially you will have to edit the browser to facilitate your personal file n plugin structure

5. Audioguydaz

Audioguydaz Kapellmeister

Where is this button please?

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

the problem is you cant rename it, Ableton 12 will keep looking for it and tell you with a nag screen.
    in the last line lower part of the GUI you can pause it.

the browser i still not how i like it.

i opted back to search for plugins instead of creator/vendor sorting, bcs this is very slow -- Devs know about it and its not high priority right now.

Scale feature is disappointed because it doesnt work with changing the pitch globally.

the new devices and new features are overall welcome.

7. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

i hate this so much .even didnt bother for vst3 cause organisation . so i really cant use my own logical effects folder structure ? in v10 you still could copy dll from vendor bundle folder to eg the reverb folder.is it possible in v11 ?
    really hate this dumb shit more than having to adjust midi grid everytime like you mentioned before .
    i more more understand the need to have different versions installed , but hey we have this and that super new thing for marketing the newbs in instead of really increase user base with .....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2024
  8. ArticStorm

that was up to steinberg, bcs vst3 features meta data for plugin, which Live can read.

adjusting midi grits is fine, i have it always set to 1/16

9. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

can i structure vst3 folder (hell alone this stupid location)in another DAWs.
    read contradicting posts about it in the past .

10. Katze

Katze Member

Bruh why do so many people disagree?
    The faster we accept that our beloved DAW looks like Excel the faster we can convince them to give us good looking themes :thumbsdown:

11. Audioguydaz

Audioguydaz Kapellmeister

"You don't need to stop or rename Index.exe. You have a analyze button on the bottom, just stop that and it stops the indexing/analyzing"

Is there some button to stop the indexing as suggested here? I can't find it..

12. Bassifondi

Bassifondi Producer

I changed to reaper at live 10, but I installed 11 and 12 as they came out, just to give it a try and second and third chance. After a few minutes I disinstall and delete *. Depeche Mode probably found its best use. Reaper doesn't make my noise into music, but is a better program IMO.
    *not for the gui.

13. SuperConductor

SuperConductor Newbie

I agree reaper has a waaay more competent dev team. but its a totally different DAW to ableton, its like an alternative to protools.
    ableton isnt the most user friendly, but even though there are a million faults its still saved by how fast you can work on it

Studio one seems better but its closer to cubase with its menu diving, bitwig is too different to ableton for me + it couldn't scan a lot of my plugins.

Going to check out v12 now but it seems they really f###ed the browser up, but it might be worth it for its piano roll updates (FL studio had the best piano roll imo)

14. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

not index, but in the browser, there is supposedly an async toggle in the Options.txt as well; I just saw it yesterday. probably the -NoVstStartupScan also can help

Code:
    -ShowDeviceSlots
    -AutoAdjustMacroMappingRange
    -_PluginAutoPopulateThreshold=128
    -NoAutoArming
    -EnableArmOnSelection
    -DisableHotKeyLatching
    -_Feature.Browser.AsyncLoading=off
    -Push2UseLegacyScript
    -RestrictAudioCalculationToPerformanceCores=true

https://sonicbloom.net/show-device-slots-options-txt-commands/

00:00 Intro
    00:26 -ShowDeviceSlots
    01:19 -EnableMapToSiblings
    01:53 -AutoAdjustMacroMappingRange
    02:37 -_PluginAutoPopulateThreshold
    04:02 -NoVstStartupScan
    04:13 -ThinningAggressiveness
    04:51 -ReWireMasterOff & -ReWireChannels
    05:11 -NoAutoArming
    06:00 -EnableArmOnSelection
    06:58 -DisableHotKeyLatching
    07:43 -_Feature.Browser.AsyncLoading
    08:17 -Push2UseLegacyScript
    08:52 -RestrictAudioCalculationToPerformanceCores
    09:42 Want to learn about more Options.txt commands?
    10:27 Live 12 Theme Fawn
    10:51 Download Options.txt file
    11:17 Outro

dunno which is its default state, anyway the deviceslots one is really nice

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
  15. Do Do

Do Do Member

Hi xbitz. Any idea how can I stop "installHelper" prompt every time start ableton Live?
    I looked on web; but workarounds suggested by people are not applicable for me.
    I use Live as portable. I trimmed the installation down from around 5GB/50000 files to 0.5 GB/5000 files.
    Works perfect, faster, no hichups. Just one annoying "installHelper" prompt. Any suggestions to get rid of it?

16. ArticStorm

i really like now that you can save searches: for example i saved Synths/instruments as search now and if i add new plugins with that tag, the search will update itself and you can move the searches around. i was aware that this is possible. And since you cant read an uptodate manual, its hard to find out such things on your own.

it would be nice if i could move this searches all the way up or even add them into collections.

i still would like to be able to combine collections with tags inside folders.

but i see this is already way better than Lives 11 browser was. Even it still has sometimes problems or doesnt work as expected.

17. ArticStorm

sonicbloom saves us again! i will try these, thanks for posting.

@xbitz so far i know NoStartupVstScan was completely removed from Ableton, which is stupid.
    Or was it changed? because last time i checked with Live 12, it didnt work and still scanned.

scanning, when there has nothing changed, so stupid, also scanning will rob any SSD of its health, even if its just 1-2% of health in 1 year.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Tommy.G.

Tommy.G. Noisemaker

best Live ever !!

19. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

LIve 12 is great once you tweak your shortcuts, visual panes, and set it as the default templates. When I first upgraded from 11, I got frustrated trying to find hidden sections that were normally visible. New Live users may not see that issue, but may also underestimate capabilities because of advanced views hidden by default.

Another annoyance is how clips have zones for different types of clicks. I felt that Live 11 was less complicated for faster editing. Now I have to be precise of where the mouse is before I click and drag.

20. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Is there a way to have saved state "windows" open (like plugin windows that were open upon saving and then closing, so that they (plugin windows, say a soft synth or whatnot) reopen when reopening a set?

I haven't watched the video yet, will, but I didn't see that kinda thing addressed in the table of contents...

Fortunately, (at least on macOS), I haven't experienced long scanning times myself (or honestly even noticed it), but I'm not sure if that is because I have been more parsimonious in what I have installed on my new system so lesser amount of plugins, or the fact that apple silicon is just, well, faster then my old system..

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List