Opinions about Slate Digital stuff

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Santii7979, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Santii7979

Santii7979 Ultrasonic

What are your favourites plugins from Slate Digital?
    I’ve only used virtual mix and reverb. What about the other plugins? Wanna hear your opinions guys. Thx!

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Never used any of his stuff but the tape thing so Im not really an "expert".... but I wasn´t impressed :no:

4. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I use some of them. Especially the Virtual Mix Rack on the drums and bass. Very satisfied with the result so far.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I tested some of SD plugins and the VST analyser told me not so good things about them. Kinda like a Porsche with a Fiat engine. So I never use any of them. People will hear pink elephants when you give them a nice looking GUI, especially a hardware lookalike GUI. We still associate plugins with hardware too much. A plugin can look like shit, or be GUIless and sound fantastic.

Of course, I'm not saying they sound bad, just not top of the line. They make average quality DSP code packed with a nice GUI, followed by Steven Slate's outrageous claims. Lots of developers are doing that. Arturia, Nomad Factory, Waves amongst others.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Agreed!

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

So far I only tried the FG-X Mastering Processor. Didn't convince me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

For the price I’d go with UAD... But this opens a whole other can of worms here on this forum. Personally I wasn’t impressed much with the Slate plugins. The rack interfaces are a workflow killer imo, and the character they give isn’t anything I can’t achieve w Waves... UAD plugins on the other hand - in my opinion guys - are the closest thing to using real hardware. You can drive both the input and output stages of their emulations, cpu tax is 0. Oh and they sound great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

While enthusiastic about his plugins at first, i now use only a few of them, still prefer some of his plugs over waves.
    IMO the fg-grey comp is excellent, the red FG-401 comp, the virtual channel/mixbus and the air/earth modules.
    Bomber is also damn good, the rest is kind of average, fg-n eq is pretty good as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Friggy

Friggy Guest

I like the ssl and neve eq. The 401 comp and the modern blue 1176. And the exciter thing he has, I can't remember the name of it, but it lets you make things a bit brighter or thicker in a nice way.

I've tried everything else but the plugins mentioned above are the ones that stuck.

11. DeepMind

DeepMind Member

Had a sub for one year and dropped it.

I own too much already and don't want to keep "renting" aka perpetually paying for ever.

Did the same with Protools.

12. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Their last "virtual" products are just pale copies from Acustica Audio.
    They even resampled their products presets with their engine...shame.

Problem ? Their engine is NOT Volterra Kernels.
    Conclusion : never buy copies when you can get the original concept AND sound.

Now you know WHY some Acustica Audio products are more expansive than Slate : they are worth it :wink:

PS : apart that, FG-X transients are horrible. Yes, it is the right word...horrible.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  13. TW

TW Guest

I like the slate stuff. Sounds good to me. Watch this changed my opinion about Mr Slate. He is not afraid to compare his stuff to the often so called "top" plugins. That deserves respect.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2018
  14. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Only one I really thought was good is Revival. Problem is that you need an iLok to use a free plugin.
    Surely they could code it for free use. There are a few other options for this such as the Softube Abbey Roads collection.

I find that Tonebooster, & various offerings from Plugin Alliance, give a much improved experience over Slate.

Like the 80's Spaces from Nomad. Actually reminds me more of the type of reverb used in the 70's.

15. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

I always use VMR and VTM. Both are good, but VMR produces some noises especially in the high end, even when you do not have any processing in it. The noise may seem desirable, but when you stack things up it increases the noise floor.
    To compare with waves, they are noisier. This may be desirable for you.
    Are you kidding...? You can get all of the Slate plugins for half of the price of one of UAD plugins.:rofl:
    https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins.html
    http://slatedigital.com/everything-bundle/

16. Jeen

Jeen Producer

slate digital is going up in my go to plugs with UAD , Waves , FabFilter :winker:
    VMS works great , as preamps FG73-76 , Virtual-Tubes , I Love VerbSuiteClassic , VCC , FG-Bomber :wink:

17. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

Been using VMR as my go-to channel strip for a long while now. Console, Custom EQ and FG-401 comp - really helps in getting a smooth, natural sound. I actually find the rack interface very convenient. Other go-tos are FG-Grey on the Master Buss and Verbsuite for reverb.

I've recently tried using different plugins to replace the Slate ones, but I find again and again that Slate offers the best combination of sound, convenience, and CPU usage.

18. usernone

usernone Producer

I like the Distressor, a lot... VS Classics is very nice too. I love the convenience, and for the most part, the sound I get with VMR.

I just wish they would offer a rent-to-own option because I don't see myself actually purchasing these plugins after I've had enough with renting them.

Seriously, Slate... please offer a rent-to-own option. This would be nice, for everyone.... Including you.