Opinion: Backing tracks to compliment your live show?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Burg, Sep 17, 2013.

?

Do you think using additional backing tracks with a full band is cheating/cheezy?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

16.7%
  3. It depends on how it's used.

83.3%
  1. Burg

Burg Newbie

Just curious to know your thoughts on this.

My band has a string of shows coming up and our upcoming record has a few songs that incorporates some heavy electronic portions (beats, synchronized keyboards)

We are essentially a rock band.

We tried to play these tunes without any of those elements and frankly the tunes just don't stand on their own without those elements.

So we are now going to create "Backing tracks" to play along with.

- Mix of electronic drums, synchronized Keys, AND some of the backing vocals... I also included a few sound elements that can't be recreated live (additional gtr parts)
    - A click goes to the drummer so he can keep time with a little bit of the backing track mixed in.
    - Rest of the mix sans click goes out to the PA.

Do you think it's overboard to include the backing vocals and additional sound elements?

"Cheating" ?

It really does make the songs sound as intended and all musicians are still playing their respective instruments. So no one is sitting back pushing one button ....Just curious to hear what you guys think if you were in the audience and heard additional sounds mixed into the performance where you know it's impossible for the musicians on stage to play in addition to what they are already playing.

Thanks.

3. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

It's OK as long as you don't overdo it.

4. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

As long as it sounds good do whatever you want. The only rules that exist are those in your head, it's not like you are ripping somebody else's body of work. It's your craft, you have the right to present it to your audience the way you want.

5. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

I agree with phenomboy. It's your band and your tunes so you should do whatever you wanna do.
    When I was in a band we used a bunch of pre-programmed rhythm and synth parts.
    If the audience like your music I don't think they care much about any technical stuff.

6. angie

angie Producer

I think it's a drummer affair... if I were a drummer (and I'm not) I wouldn't like to have an hammer in my head... and I would like to have the chance to make slight tempo variations during the songs.. but if the drummer is for it why not!!

7. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

I use backing tracks a lot live, since I do not have a synth guy or a string quartet backing me. Basic rule [at least how I see it] is if it's something that shouldn't be in a band don't worry about it [you dont need to take a horn section and sax players like "Thank you Scientist]. Synths are the same unless you have a keyboard player and then people may expect him to play multiple parts at once and either multple keyboards or split the keyboard to 2 different patches to cover.

In your case with electronic drums people would prefer to see the drummer have triggers or some electronic pads to do the electronic drums. But it also depends on the genre of music and the songs themselves. I can see a lot of songs live having a backing track for drums and the drummer only kicks in on certain area's but it's a very song specific case

Anyway drummers can be hard to work with and many I know would get butt hurt having it. So I'd suggest you suggest to him to get some triggers and drum machine/port to laptop, or buy some normal electronic pads to have on the side of his highhats

8. Burg

Burg Newbie

Great feedback and I appreciate your replies!

Yeah we had "the talk" with our drummer. I think it was easier to convince him since he composed much of the parts that can't be played live ;-)

And he is keeping busy on his analog kit as the the backing track moves along so I'm sure that helps ...he was a little resistant to the click/slave, but I guess it's the nature of the band.. some tracks are purely organic and some are pretty strict to the beat.

We will find out soon enough how it goes I suppose.

The only thing that concerns me is the mix. Most gigs are fine (sound check), but we do have one of those music festivals coming up (CMJ / NYC) and I'm sure it will be pretty hectic setting up. I'm also pretty sure the soundman/woman won't be taking too many requests that day ;-)

Anyway. Thanks again!

- Burg

9. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

Set up can be an issue because the electronic drums will most likely have to be sent to the mixer and out the mains, but like I said set up. I use Eleven rack / Power amp / FRFR monitor speakers, but I can just as easily go to the main mixer from my power amp. Basically most of my band is set up digital which makes it easier for us. But if your band is using all heads/cabs and you don't have a set up for it it could be more difficult especially when it comes to larger venues were you have to be a slave to their set up.

But yeah one way or another, if he isn't going to play it on his acoustic drum kit it'll have to go out through the mains. Smaller shows you could use PA speakers but yeah. Problem then is mix, and not having the electronic drums interfearing with vocals.

So yeah, in the end any advice would have to be personalized to your set up.

10. Burg

Burg Newbie

Yeah the mix is going to be a pretty tough challenge. We are basically at the mercy of the sound person.

We rarely play those multi-band shows (many bands, 30 min set ..etc) anymore, but unfortunately I suspect that will be the scenario for the upcoming CMJ festival in NYC so I can only assume those tunes with electronics are going to be nerve racking. the plan is for the drummer to simply play along with the click so if the line in mix is off it will simply reinforce the sound we are actually playing. (and he can cue us if the mix is inaudible or if we are in a situation where the club doesn't have monitors)

Maybe at some point a proper in-ear system for everyone will take the fear out of it ;)