Opening older reason project files

Discussion in 'Software' started by kooper, Oct 14, 2021.

1. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

I have seen several discussions about not being able to open older reason project files with r12 (r2r). I have also seen some respond in those discussions that they are indeed able to open older files, and that the poster just doesn't know how. So I am asking. HOW do we get older project files to open? TIA.

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Opening old Reason Files in newer Versions

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  4. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Thanks for the video but this is more about converting older projects once opened. I have tried to open older projects in the r2r reason 12. it doesn't open, so we can't proceed past the first step. They don't open, so there will be no conversion like in the video. They give an error. Thanks anyway.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

That's not good news.I have no idea either, maybe this will help:

Update: I decided to manually convert the entire project piece by piece just to see how difficult it is. I decided to create a second song file (a 2018 version) that started with a blank new R10 track so i could take advantage of my current workflow. I just copied and pasted everything from the old track into a new one. Takeaways:

Copying devices over is a breeze. You can group an instrument with any associated insert effects/devices and copy/paste all of them and their associated tracks. It’s really easy. You just have to create a new mix channel for each grouping after you’ve pasted them.

Recreating the mixer settings/values is pretty hit and miss. The thing that makes it hard is that the old mixer and new mixers use different values (the level faders on the old mixer use a 0 to 127 range. The new mixer is measured in decibels. Same for send knobs.). This makes it hard to match things up completely.

Edit: I also ran into the occasional weird issue. For example, when copying over an NNXT that had been loaded full of samples, it wouldn’t let met save the project because it said one of those samples was missing even though it wasn’t. Deleting and reloading the device fixed it. There were a couple other minor hiccups of that sort. But otherwise, not too bad.

Source:
    Method for opening old reason files?
    www.reddit.com/r/reasoners/comments/9lgwyw/method_for_opening_old_reason_files/

6. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

The files DON'T OPEN AT ALL, so talking about conversion after they are opened doesn't work.

7. tchouangtseu

tchouangtseu Kapellmeister

I installed only Reason 11 as i'm on win 7, and i managed to open projects made with reason 5...maybe you should try version 11 instead of 12...

8. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

I tried opening a project that was posted on blend.io it gave me an error. I have 11 installed alongside 12 on my machine. I will try this. I am just gathering info, and listening. Will try 11. Thanks.

9. tchouangtseu

tchouangtseu Kapellmeister

If i'm not mistaken, R2R said that you should avoid having 11 and 12 running on the same system...maybe this could be a part of the answer, or maybe not. Also, on which version were made the songs you wanna open? Legit or not?

10. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Good info. I didn't know this. It's a reason project I pulled from blend.io. I just wanted to open and inspect. I will look for some mention of how it was saved. I was looking for backward compatability. Still gathering info. Thanks for the response.