One-hour-long music

Discussion in 'Education' started by esl.hls.cat, Aug 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esl.hls.cat

esl.hls.cat Guest

Almost the majority of the music are short music. Like short films. Or like short skirts:

only-8840-8464952-1.jpg

In short music, it is not possible to enjoy music deeply. Because many of the factors influencing the listener are removed from the music and only the core of the music remains.

Thinking about making long music is the same as writing a screenplay for a feature film. No one can write the text of a feature film in a week, because writing the text requires studying and examining the various factors influencing the film. But a lot of times a short music is made within hours of being in a studio.

1. Is it possible to see long music in the future?
    2. Will music producers agree and commit themselves to produce long works?
    3. Is there a chance that listeners will turn to long works?
    4. What are needed to make long music?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

4. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

Der Ring des Nibelungen by Wagner,
    15 fully featured Hours right there for your enjoyment..!

On a more serious note, maybe I'd check things like Toru Takemitsu,
    who can do very dilated and contemplative music sometimes.. (although not hour-long pieces..)

Or Genesis which being like 70's Prog/Art Rock, have somewhat the fame of doing proper slow-cooked music.
    (I guess the idiosincracy and paradigm of the moment allowed/called for it)

I cannot think of hour-long tracks on top of my head, but many classical Orchestral and Opera works could be considered,
    as they sometimes do very long works with different movements/parts that make the whole..

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

I got a 7 minutes song on my youtube channel. I think I did a very good job on it and the best part is after 5th minutes. When I check the analytics, people mostly listen just the first 30 seconds of it. They couldn't even hear the main melody.

So we have to get attention in the first seconds. Life is fast now. People demands short stuff to try. So, 3-4 minutes are ideal for a song. If you're famous and have enough fans, you can add 1-2 long songs in your album and people who already know you will listen it. You can gain more fans with short songs, so many artist do some short version of the songs or radio edits, etc.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

1-Yes, soundtracks are a good example of that, but some "standard music" albums follow a certain narrative and are sort of a point in between to what you're asking. Check dream theater's metropolis pt2, or Haken's Aquarius. I'm sure there's plenty of more examples.
    2-I would. I am. But i'm too lazy to make any real progress.
    3-There would be a public for that for sure. In fact, there is already, a lot of people like listening to soundtracks. But i doubt the great majority would.
    ...Because of stuff like this.

4-Depends on what you're planning to do, but i think it all comes down to "lots of time".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. esl.hls.cat

esl.hls.cat Guest

You mean for making texture, right?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=%texture%&source=lnms&tbm=isch
    They're used for filling the emptiness or background of music.

It's a pity that we all claim that we're making progress, but unfortunately art is getting shorter every day. What good is short art when there is no opportunity to express real problems in it?

Everyone claims that life is fast and that people are not in the mood to spend time deeply understanding. People work like horses from morning to night, but when it comes to deep understanding and deep enjoyment, everyone says we don't have time, because we have to sleep early at night to go to work early in the morning.:dunno:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

You're making a subjective value judgment here. Length of a musical piece has nothing to say of it's intent or impact.

But hey, if you feel the need that whatever you're listening to has to be >1h, then go and listen to that and don't bother with anything shorter. Problem: solved.

I listened to this again a while back and had no problems sitting through a 1h 3min tune

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Klaus Schulze - Timewind (1975) 58:51

Klaus Schulze - Kontinuum (2007) 1: 16:22

Klaus Schulze (born 4 August 1947) is a German electronic music pioneer, composer and musician https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Schulze

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  11. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

I write long pieces as a composer, but this is not true. Short pieces can be as deep as a composer will.
    And it's easy to find long pieces totally empty of sense.
    So this sort of binary generality are always wrong, specially in art.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  12. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

From wikipedia...

Organ2/ASLSP (As Slow as Possible) is a musical piece by John Cage
    and the subject of one of the longest-lasting musical performances yet undertaken...
    An organ in St. Burchardi church in Halberstadt in 2001 began a performance that is due to end in 2640.
    The next note will be played on 5th February 2022.
    ---
    Book your tickets now - don't all rush at once. :unsure:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Foster, you have an additional account since 2018? Didn't know that. :winker:

Firstly, that's not logical secondly, wot you mean, shorter every day???
    1. Rockaway Beach – 1:57
    2. Teenage Lobotomy – 1:54
    3. Blitzkrieg Bop – 1:56
    4. I Wanna Be Well – 2:20
    5. Glad To See You Go – 1:49
    6. Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment – 1:34
    7. You’re Gonna Kill That Girl – 2:24
    8. I Don’t Care – 1:36
    9. Sheena Is A Punk Rocker – 2:15
    10. Havana Affair – 1:34
    11. Commando – 1:35
    12. Here Today, Gone Tomorrow – 2:40
    13. Surfin’ Bird (White, Frazier, Harris, Wilson) – 2:19
    14. Cretin Hop – 2:00
    15. Listen To My Heart – 1:40
    16. California Sun (Glover/Levy) – 1:45
    17. I Don’t Wanna Walk Around With You – 1:35
    18. Pinhead – 2:16
    19. Do You Wanna Dance? (Freeman) – 2:24
    20. Chainsaw – 1:25
    21. Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World – 2:40
    22. I Wanna Be A Good Boy – 2:08
    23. Judy Is A Punk – 1:14
    24. Suzy Is A Headbanger – 1:51
    25. Let’s Dance (Lee) – 2:05
    26. Oh Oh I Love Her So – 1:40
    27. Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue – 1:20
    28. We’re A Happy Family – 2:02

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I always felt John Cage's 4'33" was too short, it could easily have been an hour piece. I guess he was too lazy to do the work or maybe it would have been too difficult for him given the artistic level he had already set with the shorter piece.

Maybe I could expand it.

15. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Well, Napalm Death's "Scum" came out a few years later than that so there's some logical progression to be seen...

1. "Multinational Corporations" 1:06
    2. "Instinct of Survival" 2:26
    3. "The Kill" 0:23
    4. "Scum" 2:38
    5. "Caught... in a Dream" 1:47
    6. "Polluted Minds" 0:58
    7. "Sacrificed" 1:06
    8. "Siege of Power" 3:59
    9. "Control" 1:23
    10. "Born on Your Knees" 1:48
    11. "Human Garbage" 1:32
    12. "You Suffer" 0:01
    13. "Life?" 0:43
    14. "Prison Without Walls" 0:38
    15. "Point of No Return" 0:35
    16. "Negative Approach" 0:32
    17. "Success?" 1:09
    18. "Deceiver" 0:29
    19. "C.S." 1:14
    20. "Parasites" 0:23
    21. "Pseudo Youth" 0:42
    22. "Divine Death" 1:21
    23. "As the Machine Rolls On" 0:42
    24. "Common Enemy" 0:16
    25. "Moral Crusade" 1:32
    26. "Stigmatized" 1:03
    27. "M.A.D." 1:34
    28. "Dragnet" 1:01

"You Suffer" has to be the spotlight here, as it's tediously long... 1.316 seconds exactly.

16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hi @esl.hls.cat, the question is always what you can do very well and what can you use to pay your food, rent and bills. If you are very talented, you apply to a film company or a record company, for example, and the rest of it comes out like this - it cannot be planned. If you have managed some projects, such as a soundtrack for a film that is also a box-office hit, that means that you are reliable and you will certainly get offers or you apply with the reference you have acquired.

A Soudtrack from me / Guaranteed radio-unfit for a serious topic:
    (The subject lasted 13:05 minutes for me. Most will switch off after 1 minute at the latest.)
    Japan Earthquake 2011: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 30-Foot Tsunami Triggered !

Short Story:
    There is music to sprinkle on - for the radio - long songs are not played at all. No matter how good you are, the radio won't play long versions of your song. It goes according to target groups, drivers with families, drives on the autobahn, dad turn on the music! Dad turns the broadcast button, Dudlöd - Dudeldu ah there he is the pop station with the simple, not strenuous beats of mass-tolerated music. Also called mainstream - what everyone buys is then in the top ten or the charts - even there you won't hear long pieces of music. And whether these charts show quality at all is an open question.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  17. esl.hls.cat

esl.hls.cat Guest

I'm so glad there weren't radio and internet in the past. Because if the composers wanted to listen to the demands of a bunch of rich people, we wouldn't have all great works now.

Why should we allow rich people to decide the future of music and taste-making in listeners? Why can't artists stand up to the demands of rich and powerful people?

Is the power of money so great that it can buy all art and artists and turn them into a series of neutral people?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Dr Pablito

Dr Pablito Ultrasonic

19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Once you are retired, you have plenty of time to do what you want to do. Or you are unemployed or sick. Or you have a rich father. Otherwise you have to go to work. Of course you can start your own business - but you have to be able to live from what you master. You don't have to monetize all music, you can also play it to people privately or, as I do, I give away CD's with my music. In my opinion, the rich and TV / radio station owners are only interested in returns and profits. Don't play by your rules, don't cooperate with you.Take a look at this video, maybe you will notice which species we are dealing with.

Steve Cutts - MAN

More:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpQLC-evmUAon9BBpcW4kYg

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  20. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Man, this is the funniest shit I've read today, thanks for the laugh! :rofl:

You might want to look up this small thing called "Patronage" and how it has shaped arts since times immemorial. Arguably any sort of art is way more democratic now than it's been at any point in the past, both to create and to consume.

All those "great old works" exist these days pretty much because of patronage, like it or not. Has fuck-all to do with radio or the internet.

e: speling and gramer

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  21. esl.hls.cat

esl.hls.cat Guest

Good to have this discussion. Art advocates and the rich of the past supported people who really had big ideas.

In the past, art patrons and people who spent on art loved art and supported artists to enjoy art as much as possible. They funded artists' lives so that they could take advantage of the depth of their art. The goal of art advocates in the past was not the general public.

But the goal of today's art is the general public. Ordinary people in society don't need real art. In the present era, true art has no such patrons. Those people who support art apparently do so only to achieve wealth and control the society.

Today's rich don't enjoy music much, and their goal is only to provide a part of people's needs in relation to music and to make money. When such a goal exists in the art world, there will be no more big work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List