Omnisphere question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gmartin, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Gmartin

Gmartin Member

Hello
    I use Omnispere with Reaper. Suppose I use a phrase from the soundsource browser in layer A. On the keyboard, if I switch from C3 to C2 the phrase speed decreases. if I change from C3 to C4 the speed increases. what did I do wrong?

3. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

It's normal if the soundsource is a sample,not a wavetable.Because Omnisphere doesn't Time-stretch samples.

4. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    Since it's loading the sample and playing it across the range of notes, it will speed up and slow down accordingly. You can turn off the TRACKING button (left hand side bottom of A, B, C or D panel) however you then get a one-shot effect on all keys. Is that what you wished?

5. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
  6. Gmartin

Gmartin Member

Thankx for your answeres but that mean I canĀ“t use the phrase in a sequence of notes maintaining the speed. Is it?

7. Gmartin

Gmartin Member

for example if I want to use the phrase "PHR - guild 12 strings Major" in a sequence C - Bb - F keeping the speed is not possible?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  8. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

You can play the notes you want,but :
    But no problem,your notes will be at the right pitch.It's the most important thing.

Sounds speeding up (when you play high notes) or speeding down (when you play low notes) are the inherent problem of the use of samples.The problem remains the same with all samplers(or rather call them "sample players",like Kontakt,Omnisphere,etc...).

That's why some samplers have an algorithm called Timestretch which stretches (of course!) the samples ,in order to keep the original length of your sample when you play different notes.Native Instrument Kontakt can do that.But the result is not very nice since you're a bit far from your root note.

It's better to make your sounds with synthesizers if you can,they haven't this problem.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  9. Gmartin

Gmartin Member

Ok. I understand. Thank you.